Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

pop/knock from loose sway bar

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After spending quite a bit of time trying to figure what this knock/pop sound I get intermittently I think I may be on to something. Hate I have to do this much investigation but I'm afraid my SC will just say normal sound or I will not be able to reproduce. Anyone have the same sound in same types of conditions? Did your SC fix by retorquing sway bar? thx

-single pop/thud/knock when going over inclines are bumps that are uneven or flex is being put on vehicle (for example pulling out of my driving at angle and down the bump) (sounds like right side)

-will not happen when going straight over a speed bump

-can happen during hard left turn or accelerating in a hard left turn (indicates right side)

-very condition specific and hard to reproduce consistently

-I'm thinking it happens more often when my wife and daughter are in car (puts more weight on right side) but need to test

Found this and it is the same sound:

resolution first 20 seconds of this clip:

Believe I'm experiencing this. Usually hear it when I'm pulling into or out of sloped drives, but sometimes even just when turning on a pretty level surface and accelerating somewhat quickly. Mine seems to be the front left. It actually went away for a day or two after having the car jacked to get that front left tire repaired. I'll probably be taking it in soon, under warranty.

does this sound like the "knock" you get while supercharging? i've noticed that when making a particular left turn onto a freeway onramp with someone in the passenger seat, i get a knocking sound at the same place every time. to me it sounded like the battery expansion/contraction knock.

[edit] yeah i watched the video and that's the same sound. i'll have to mention this in my service appt tomorrow (dash squeaks)

Last edited:
I had a knocking sound pop up on the drivers side front suspension when making left turns around 1000 miles. It was a loose sway bar end link. Service center tightened it and/or replaced it and I haven't had that same noise since.

I do have another random knocking sound from that same side that I cannot reproduce on command and it is rare. The other one was happening constantly. I have a service appointment next Tuesday to resolve issues (minor) that I brought up during the previous service visit, and I will ask them to check out that side again.

I had a knocking sound pop up on the drivers side front suspension when making left turns around 1000 miles. It was a loose sway bar end link. Service center tightened it and/or replaced it and I haven't had that same noise since.

I do have another random knocking sound from that same side that I cannot reproduce on command and it is rare. The other one was happening constantly. I have a service appointment next Tuesday to resolve issues (minor) that I brought up during the previous service visit, and I will ask them to check out that side again.

I think I'm having the same issue as you - was there a charge on this fix?

I think I'm having the same issue as you - was there a charge on this fix?

Absolutely not, I've had a few minor things fixed with zero charge, including them even ordering me a new dashboard to fix a minor rattle. I'm actually in a S 85d right now while they do that one. Of course i wish they didn't let the car leave the factory with these issues, but I haven't had a normal car dealer willing to fix things like this on any other car.

If you pm me your email, I can send you video of what the end link knock sounded like.

Last edited: