Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

popping noise from front wheel area

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am posting this both for history sake and to see if anyone has seen similar.

I was out driving yesterday and noticed every time I went from a no acceleration to an acceleration state there would be a single loud pop. To me it sounded like a ball joint that someone forgot to grease. I took the wheel off today and did a visual inspection , did not see anything broken or any odd wear. I put the tire back on and as I was torquing the wheel bolts the pop kept happening. What should I put in the ticket when I open a support call to Tesla? I really don't want to drive the 20 miles to the service center.

Here is a video of the cause of the popping noise.

I am posting this both for history sake and to see if anyone has seen similar.

I was out driving yesterday and noticed every time I went from a no acceleration to an acceleration state there would be a single loud pop. To me it sounded like a ball joint that someone forgot to grease. I took the wheel off today and did a visual inspection , did not see anything broken or any odd wear. I put the tire back on and as I was torquing the wheel bolts the pop kept happening. What should I put in the ticket when I open a support call to Tesla? I really don't want to drive the 20 miles to the service center.

Here is a video of the cause of the popping noise.
Is this from the front? If so, might want to check the link below, be careful driving, and consider filing an NHTSA complaint once you get your repair invoice and upload it as an attachment and that video as a google link.

Another front suspension control arm failure

File a Vehicle Safety Complaint | Safercar.gov | NHTSA

Reactions: Russell
So I submitted a roadside assistance request, they picked up my car on a Sunday at noon, fixed it and had it ready to go by 2pm on the following Monday. I am amazed how quickly they repaired it.

Very curious to read what was on your invoice for parts needed for repair. It seems many of us with nose cone `16s have been going in lately for suspension issues. Good to keep a tab on everything.

Very curious to read what was on your invoice for parts needed for repair. It seems many of us with nose cone `16s have been going in lately for suspension issues. Good to keep a tab on everything.
upload_2020-9-23_13-24-14.png