Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • We just completed a significant update, but we still have some fixes and adjustments to make. Please see this thread for more details and to find out how to revert to the old design. Cheers!

Popping noise from headliner

I have a 2017 Model S with a solid metal roof and about 28K miles on it. Over the last year, I started hearing a popping noise from the headliner when hitting even small bumps or driving over a surface that causes some flex to the car (e.g., turning into a driveway ramp). Local Tesla service has made multiple attempts to fix it, but the noise always comes back after a while. After a year of attempts, they finally tried to claim that it is "normal" and a result of a reinforcing bar striking the A pillar. Of course, it is not normal, and the noise is sometimes constant, depending on the road service. I may need to escalate this to get good results, so please let me know if you've experienced this or, better yet, found a permanent fix. Thank you very much.

Upvote 0

glide

Jun 6, 2018
USA
I have a 2017 Model S with a solid metal roof and about 28K miles on it. Over the last year, I started hearing a popping noise from the headliner when hitting even small bumps or driving over a surface that causes some flex to the car (e.g., turning into a driveway ramp). Local Tesla service has made multiple attempts to fix it, but the noise always comes back after a while. After a year of attempts, they finally tried to claim that it is "normal" and a result of a reinforcing bar striking the A pillar. Of course, it is not normal, and the noise is sometimes constant, depending on the road service. I may need to escalate this to get good results, so please let me know if you've experienced this or, better yet, found a permanent fix. Thank you very much.
Who do you plan to escalate to? Elon?

You could tell them you’ll pay to have it fixed and see how they respond. Outside of that you could try peeling off the headliner and seeing if there is a spot you can add some sound dampening material to in order to reduce the noise.

Upvote 0

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC