Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Popping Noise When Turning/Going Over Bumps

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Runt8

May 19, 2017
Colorado
For about the last week my AWD Model 3 has sometimes made a popping noise when turning sharply or going over speed bumps. It doesn’t always happen but more often then not it will. It also happens more often when turning while going up or down an incline (like in a parking garage).

Has anyone else had the same problem?

Is it a click-click like a CV joint or more an occasional tinny pop here and there like perhaps flex between the body and battery causing the sound?
I'd say it's definitely a mechanical noise - it sounds like it's coming from the right front wheel well but it's hard to be sure. It almost sounds like the noise you get when the tire kicks up a rock into the undercarriage.

I took my Model 3 in to the service center a couple months ago for this problem. After keeping it for 5 days they told me it was thermal expansion of the battery pack and they didn’t have a fix for it. Since then it has gotten much worse. It’s now to the point where it pops when accelerating, braking, turning, or going over even the slightest bump (sometimes multiple times in quick succession). I called the service center yesterday and spoke to a technician, he agreed that based on the new behavior it wasn’t the battery pack and scheduled me an appointment next week to bring it in.

Reactions: SammichLover
Try lowering your tire pressure if it's high. I added air when it was -20C in January since it had dropped to 39psi. It's been warmer lately and I heard a similar noise from the left side when going over bumps. TPMS was saying close to 45psi. I lowered back to 42 and the noise seems to have gone away. In my case, my first guess would not be a suspension problem as I have very little mileage and haven't driven through any big road hazards. YMMV.

For about the last week my AWD Model 3 has sometimes made a popping noise when turning sharply or going over speed bumps. It doesn’t always happen but more often then not it will. It also happens more often when turning while going up or down an incline (like in a parking garage).

I had something similar in terms of a faint clunk noise, turns out that the front suspension was a tiny bit loose and just needed to be tightened! It was only really noticeable at slow speeds and when going up/down a parking garage, which sounds very similar to what you're reporting.

I'd ask service to check the torque on your suspension and/or re-torque everything, should only take 1-2 hours.

Try lowering your tire pressure if it's high. I added air when it was -20C in January since it had dropped to 39psi. It's been warmer lately and I heard a similar noise from the left side when going over bumps. TPMS was saying close to 45psi. I lowered back to 42 and the noise seems to have gone away. In my case, my first guess would not be a suspension problem as I have very little mileage and haven't driven through any big road hazards. YMMV.
I’ll give this a shot, my tire pressure was up to 46 today now that it’s warming up.

Just got my 3 back from the service center. The popping was caused by the passenger seat support rubbing against a metal securing bracket. They "applied structural adhesive" (glue?) to prevent rubbing.

It's hard to explain how much the popping noise was bothering me, very happy to have it resolved.

• Funny
Reactions: kbecks13
Just got my 3 back from the service center. The popping was caused by the passenger seat support rubbing against a metal securing bracket. They "applied structural adhesive" (glue?) to prevent rubbing.

It's hard to explain how much the popping noise was bothering me, very happy to have it resolved.

TY for the update! I had a similar issue with my WRX that required the entire seat rail assembly to be replaced

I have what seems like a similar issue. I'd say maybe 1 in 3 times that I pull into my driveway or any entrance where the street is flat but there is a high approach angle, I will hear a quick clunk / thunk sound come from my left front tire area as I pull over it. It sounds almost similar to the one's I hear sometimes when supercharging. I'm intrigued by Runt8's response because I also have an issue where my seat feels like it is sliding back when I accelerate and forward when I decelerate a few millimeters and has slowly gotten worse so I wonder if it's related to that or a separate issue.

Nonetheless, I've scheduled a service appointment so we'll see how it goes.

I had a weird clicking/pop that didn't match others here on the forums. Turns out it was a center ring that had been crushed when the wheel was put back on last. These are plastic rings so it wasn't a major problem, just had the tire shop take off the old one and put on a new one. Just in case, thought I would mention it as it is a possibility.

I have what seems like a similar issue. I'd say maybe 1 in 3 times that I pull into my driveway or any entrance where the street is flat but there is a high approach angle, I will hear a quick clunk / thunk sound come from my left front tire area as I pull over it. It sounds almost similar to the one's I hear sometimes when supercharging. I'm intrigued by Runt8's response because I also have an issue where my seat feels like it is sliding back when I accelerate and forward when I decelerate a few millimeters and has slowly gotten worse so I wonder if it's related to that or a separate issue.

I have the same symptoms as you. It only happens occasionally... I thought it was Normal, but maybe I should bring it in if there's a fix. Please share your finding after your appointment. Thanks!

I had a weird clicking/pop that didn't match others here on the forums. Turns out it was a center ring that had been crushed when the wheel was put back on last. These are plastic rings so it wasn't a major problem, just had the tire shop take off the old one and put on a new one. Just in case, thought I would mention it as it is a possibility.

Now see that is interesting because I had custom wheels put on not too long ago and I don't remember this ever happening before that. They had center rings they had to put on that came with the wheels as well. Will have to see if mine was damaged. Thanks for mentioning!

• Disagree
Reactions: qdeathstar

Minus the seat thing, I've noticed this exact thing. Worsening over time too. FWIW I also notice something that sounds like faint CV joint clicking (much less frequently) during low speed sharp turns.

Been wondering about it for a while but really don't want to drive 5h to the nearest SC for them to be unable to reproduce it.

• Helpful
Reactions: MagnusMako
I had a popping/creaking sound coming from my left front wheel while turning at slow speeds for awhile. Ended up finding this nut loose. Tightened it down and the noise went away. Maybe this will help someone.

267571775.png

I have what seems like a similar issue. I'd say maybe 1 in 3 times that I pull into my driveway or any entrance where the street is flat but there is a high approach angle, I will hear a quick clunk / thunk sound come from my left front tire area as I pull over it. It sounds almost similar to the one's I hear sometimes when superchargi
I have what seems like a similar issue. I'd say maybe 1 in 3 times that I pull into my driveway or any entrance where the street is flat but there is a high approach angle, I will hear a quick clunk / thunk sound come from my left front tire area as I pull over it. It sounds almost similar to the one's I hear sometimes when supercharging...

I've been hearing the same exact sounds the last week going in and out of driveways/parking lot entranceways. Clunk/pop sounds very similar to battery expansion sounds when supercharging. Though I was going crazy. Glad I'm not the only one. Please update if you found a fix.

I've had a noise from day 1 in my 2018 M3P which may be similar to what others are experiencing. Mine sounds like a large piece of sheet metal buckling or clunking when going over uneven surfaces or when the car twists from sharp turns or when one front wheel is on a different level than the other (ie. approaching a speed bump, steep driveway, at an angle). I took my car in to have this fixed in Nov 2018 and they dropped the battery pack to install additional sealant around it. Said it was a known issue. This fixed the noise for about 9 months but it has returned so I'll be bringing my car back into service to have this redone.

If your service department comes up with a different fix, please share. Thanks!