Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Popping noise (windshield?) when car turns on - this can't be normal

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Whenever I get in the car and the air starts up, the windshield (I think, anyway) makes a "popping" type of noise. The noises come from all across the windshield, and in random fashion (different areas at different times etc.)

I live in southern California and have noticed it's especially bad/pronounced when the car has been sitting in the sun - vs. in my garage, it still happens, but it's not as extreme (I assume because the windshield is not as hot) - it definitely seems related to temperature change as the windshield is cooling from the A/C

Check it out:
- even with the air conditioning blasting, you can hear it pretty easily. Sounds like someone is snapping their fingers or something

I took it to Tesla earlier this week, and they claimed both they'd never heard of this issue before, and they were unable to recreate it (which I find hard to believe given it's very easy to reproduce). The only thing I can think is that they didn't turn the air on, but that seems unlikely

Anyone have this issue? Any suggestions?

If you listen carefully, especially toward the end when I pan to the right side, you can hear how random it is - but I agree, at the beginning it sounds pretty regular. The odd thing is the noise comes from different spots - it moves around

If it were mechanical, what would it be?

If you listen carefully, especially toward the end when I pan to the right side, you can hear how random it is - but I agree, at the beginning it sounds pretty regular. The odd thing is the noise comes from different spots - it moves around

If it were mechanical, what would it be?
Something in the HVAC I would think. I'm sure you won't hear with no AC on.

Nope - moving the vents around doesn't seem to affect anything

FYI, I tested a bit more last night and it's definitely only happening when the AC is turned on. So it's either something to do with the AC system, or the windshield itself cooling down... it's bizarre how the noises move around to different areas

I get a popping sound when getting into the warm car and turning the AC on, too. Mine; however, seems to come from the driver's A pillar. The SC said it's normal thermal expansion as the car cools down and it's nothing to worry about. So far, I'm trying not to worry about it.

Yeah, it's just annoying and I've never had a car that does it. They gave me a Model S for the day while they were working on my car, and it didn't do it... just seems like it's probably crappy glass or something.

I wouldn't expect a $50k+ car to have glass that pops when it's cooling... so either this doesn't happen to other people and I have something wrong, or we're all just okay with it :)

Yeah, it's just annoying and I've never had a car that does it. They gave me a Model S for the day while they were working on my car, and it didn't do it... just seems like it's probably crappy glass or something.

I wouldn't expect a $50k+ car to have glass that pops when it's cooling... so either this doesn't happen to other people and I have something wrong, or we're all just okay with it :)
Every car makes it's own noises. I don't think there is a car in existence that doesn't make some interesting sounds. Maybe a Rolls-Royce passenger compartment is totally sound proofed, I don't know.

That sounds similar to the sound I have from the front dash near the driver's side A pillar. It seems to go away after the car's temperature regulates (warming or cooling). The SC claims the adjusted some HVAC louvers, but that didn't fix it.
I think it is some part (maybe a clip) that is expanding/ contracting making the noise. I find it very annoying and not acceptable, and I will requesting they look at it again the next SC visit.

The last couple (cold) mornings I've noticed a slight popping/crackling noise coming from the windshield area as my car warms up inside. I'm 90% certain this is coming from the dash and/or windshield seal. It goes away in a few minutes. In my case, there is no regular rhythm to it.

I had this problem and fixed myself. There are trim pieces on both ends of the wood trim and that seems to be the culprit. I removed them to see if they were indeed the source of the sound and confirmed that the issue doesn't reproduce. So I added some fabric insulation on the plastic piece that engage with the metal clip.
419341883.png
IMG_20190622_113432.jpg
IMG_20190622_113411.jpg
IMG_20190622_113825.jpg

• Helpful
Reactions: alexGS and LuPapa