Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Popping out the JVC head unit

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After Tesla replaced my switchpack under warranty the JVC KD-NX5000 head unit display changes intermittently to green or blue. The video cable may be loose. Before I take it back and lose my car again for a few days I would like to pop out the head unit from the cage and reseat the cables.
Do I need special keys to remove the unit or can I use any thin piece of metal?
Also, do I need to remove the thin plastic frame around the front of the cage?
Would appreciate advice from anyone who has done this before,
Thanks!

By chance have you removed the faceplate (it pops out)? This has happened to my unit twice and after properly reseating the faceplate the color issue went away. I do not think pulling the unit will change the situation at all.

And yes you will need to remove the plastic frame and to do so you need to pull the instrument console AND the air bag cover. When you pull the air bag cover you WILL break the clips and you need to get replacement ones from Tesla or from Lotus.

By chance have you removed the faceplate (it pops out)? This has happened to my unit twice and after properly reseating the faceplate the color issue went away. I do not think pulling the unit will change the situation at all.

And yes you will need to remove the plastic frame and to do so you need to pull the instrument console AND the air bag cover. When you pull the air bag cover you WILL break the clips and you need to get replacement ones from Tesla or from Lotus.

Dhrivnak, when my car was at Tesla I noticed they had popped out just the unit from the cage without removing any of the console.

I managed to pop it out. You need two metal strips, about 1/8 in thick, 1/4-1/2 in wide and 4 in long. Insert it on either side of the unit until you hear a positive click from each side. The unit should slide out with slight force.
I used two thin paring knives to pop it out.