Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Popping sound from center console or underneath the car

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have my M3LR for about a week now. I’ve noticed after I open the door, and before I get into the car, I can hear a couple popping sound coming from around the center console area or underneath the car. It tends to happen when I leave the car sitting after a few hours. Any of you have this problem?

You'll get used to the many strange noises your Tesla makes. Ha ha. Those loud noises are the contactors getting energized or de-energized. All of the other noises seem to emanate from the front of the car, where the pumps and 'octovalve' are.

As others have said, totally normal.

Just wait until you supercharge for the first time! On some Model 3's, (including mine) it sounds like the car is shooting at you (it's not, so don't shoot back) while supercharging.

That's not really an exaggeration. My car pops and bangs so loud while supercharging that it startles other Tesla drivers charging at the station. I've had several guys even ask if my car was broken.

From what I've heard, newer cars don't pop and bang quite as much/loud as the older 3's, but they still do make their presence known while supercharging.

BEV's have a totally different sound set of "normal" sounds vs ICE cars. Give it a few months, and you'll get used to them.

Reactions: tstolze
As others have said, totally normal.

Just wait until you supercharge for the first time! On some Model 3's, (including mine) it sounds like the car is shooting at you (it's not, so don't shoot back) while supercharging.

That's not really an exaggeration. My car pops and bangs so loud while supercharging that it startles other Tesla drivers charging at the station. I've had several guys even ask if my car was broken.

From what I've heard, newer cars don't pop and bang quite as much/loud as the older 3's, but they still do make their presence known while supercharging.

BEV's have a totally different sound set of "normal" sounds vs ICE cars. Give it a few months, and you'll get used to them.

There's a service bulletin to replace the breather valves that significantly reduces the popping. I requested it be done when I had my car in for a front control arm issue. They didn't offer it proactively (for me at least) but had no problem performing it when asked.

Does this service bulletin apply to 2021 Model 3?

I think it was only 18-19 models. Presumably they incorporated the updated part into the production line at some point.

[edit - link to the bulletin I was thinking of: https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2019/MC-10163736-9999.pdf]

The battery popping really was dramatic though (like someone pinging a rock off a big piece of sheet metal). I'm not sure what your sound is, but as others have mentioned a number of clunks, pops, hums, etc. are pretty normal. My latest is a kind of light ticking from the A/C vent area when first starting the car :)

I think it was only 18-19 models. Presumably they incorporated the updated part into the production line at some point.

[edit - link to the bulletin I was thinking of: https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2019/MC-10163736-9999.pdf]

The battery popping really was dramatic though (like someone pinging a rock off a big piece of sheet metal). I'm not sure what your sound is, but as others have mentioned a number of clunks, pops, hums, etc. are pretty normal. My latest is a kind of light ticking from the A/C vent area when first starting the car :)
Thank you for the link. The wake up pop was very noticeable and just seemed strange to me. It almost sounds like metal being twisted, and I wasn’t expecting this type of pop when the vehicle is not even turned on, moving, or super charging. I’ve taken my car to super charger once, and I did noticed some sounds, but just sounds more like the battery is being cooled down, which makes sense to me. Didn’t notice any major popping sound while super charging.

Only a few cars have the pop during supercharging - my April 2018 LR RWD doesn’t, for example.
The “Clunk” when waking up the car is likely the main contactor (giant relay) closing to connect the 400v battery to the rest of the car. It’s normal; if you’re concerned about the sound, check out another Model 3 at the service center.

wife's 3 would THUNK often, and we never tied it to air pressure - wow. This makes sense now.
Everytime the thunk noise would cause us to look at each other like what the hell did we hit!?
Not only can't a tesla stand up to winter, road salt, cold, car washes, but now we get to add "hills" to the mix! lol.

On our way to get "service"... lol.. tesla wouldn't know service if...

wife's 3 would THUNK often, and we never tied it to air pressure - wow. This makes sense now.
Yup. My car makes the most noise when I'm supercharging it during the winter. It still makes some noise during the summer, but not gunshots like it does when it's cold outside.

I've known about the SB to have the breather valve replaced, but the nearest SC is 135 miles away from us, and it doesn't bother me that the car makes noise. As it's not a functionality problem, I'm not gonna bother with the SB.

Another weird sound you may have to get used to is a loud bong sound from the bottom of the car. It happens if I use a supercharger. My only guess is that some sort of metal cover/shroud/plate expands as it gets hot from the fast charging. If you've ever poured boiling water in a stainless steel sink you might know the sound.