Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Popular Science - 12,000 mile trip in Tesla Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
From the article:

(Normal, non-country-crossing users might have a quicker time of it. Car charging slows dramatically when the battery nears capacity. Hajjar wanted a fully charged car every time, but errand-running might not require a 100 percent charge.)

I'm still amazed at how people don't realize what it means to be able to charge at home and leave home with a full charge every single morning. Non EV drivers are so stuck in the mindset of having to fill up while out running errands they just don't get it.

Errand-running in a Model S won't require a 100 percent charge because it won't require a single charge while out at all!

Interesting... and rather surprising there wasn't more of a tie-in to what Pugshare/Recargo offers...

In any case I think this was a bit of unfortunate phrasing:

Hajjar estimates he had to make five or six charging stops a day.

If he was driving 12K miles in 24 days, than that's only 500 miles a day on average . That requires only 2-3 stops really. (and really only 1 or 2 if you had charging availability at your overnight accommodations).

Now, while he may have CHOSEN to stop at more frequent intervals (and perhaps charge less at each for shorter periods of time), it leave the reader with the impression that road trips are going to be awkward affairs.

I wish he had said that he could have driven 3-4 hours between stops had he wanted to...

Interesting... and rather surprising there wasn't more of a tie-in to what Pugshare/Recargo offers...

In any case I think this was a bit of unfortunate phrasing:

If he was driving 12K miles in 24 days, than that's only 500 miles a day on average . That requires only 2-3 stops really. (and really only 1 or 2 if you had charging availability at your overnight accommodations).

Now, while he may have CHOSEN to stop at more frequent intervals (and perhaps charge less at each for shorter periods of time), it leave the reader with the impression that road trips are going to be awkward affairs.

I wish he had said that he could have driven 3-4 hours between stops had he wanted to...

In general I agree that he could have phrased it better. The reality is that you drive for 3 hours and charge 45 minutes. Or you stop more frequently for a shorter period to ride the bottom of the pack. Depending on your road trip style this is either a complete non-issue (since you would make those stops for that length of time anyway) or for gas and go types a significant increase in travel time. Either way, positioning it a bit better would allow for more informed opinions from readers.