TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Popup on forums

Discussion in 'Site Feedback' started by HankLloydRight, Apr 10, 2016.

1. HankLloydRight

HankLloydRight Fluxing

Doug -- I'm all for ad supported sites (I run them myself), and I even click on a few.

But this morning on my iPhone I was greeted with a popup ad (a new tab in Chrome) AND a javascript alert box on top of that.

See image:
    upload_2016-4-10_8-55-41.png

Banner, box, and even skyscraper ads are fine.... but when it gets to intrusive popups with dialog boxes, that's what drives people to install ad blockers. Please look into this and make sure your ad networks are not serving popup/interstitial ads.

thanks.

oh, and please bring back Tapatalk! :)

• Like x 2
    • Helpful x 1
  2. doug

doug Administrator / Head Moderator

@HankLloydRight Pop-up type ads aren't allowed on TMC, are you sure you didn't click on it? We block all problem ads via Google Adsense, so thanks for reporting that. If you see it again, try to get a shot of the ad itself. Your screenshot is not of TMC, they only know you came from TMC. At any rate, I've blocked that target url which should also block the source ad.

3. HankLloydRight

HankLloydRight Fluxing

Yeah, I say the exact same thing to my users when they complain about popups (I also block all popup, video, and offensive ads). But they creep in when you're not looking, despite your best efforts. This was first thing in the morning (before 7am ET), so I think that's their strategy. And yes, I've seen them even squeak by AdSense occasionally.

Also, I didn't click on an ad. I just did what I do every morning when I wake up :) -- I just clicked on "watched threads" and this ad popped up. The ad itself is what you can see below the popup dialog box, but realize it spawned its own new tab in Chrome (on iOS).

• Helpful x 1
  4. GoTslaGo

GoTslaGo Learning Member

I got the same ad, came up as soon as I clicked safari to look at TMC. Saw the prompt, clicked ok, and it gave me a comment that it was sponsored by ATT (my carrier) at behest of TMC. Wanted me to answer some questions, whereupon I swiped it away. Was surprised to see.

5. doug

Just now or some time this morning? That ad should already be explicitly blocked.

6. darthy001

darthy001 Love my car, hope Tesla can get as great!

This actually looks like a virus/scamsite that I've seen a few users get at work a few times. Everchanging urls and always offering ipads/iphones etc as prices in an attempt to get you to click. Never seen it on an actual iphone though.

7. HankLloydRight

HankLloydRight Fluxing

Yeah, on a browser, I would have done a spyware scan right away. I'm sure my iPhone doesn't have any adware/spyware, etc. So it's strange, for sure.

8. chrisk74

chrisk74 New Member

Pop-up Spam - Is anyone else getting a pop-up offering a free I-phone for filling out a questionnaire ? How do I get rid of it?

9. omega731

omega731 Member

Yes...I'm getting this

Attached Files:

10. omega731

omega731 Member

Every time I log on I get a popup about my phone, see attachment. There is also a person in the Model S forum that mentioned the same thing.

Attached Files:

11. Johan

Johan Took a TSLA bear test. Came back negative.

Why are you complaining? You seem to be the lucky winner of a free phone!

• Like x 1
  12. Saghost

Saghost Active Member

I got one of those (though it correctly said T-Mobile instead) on my phone a day or two ago. I was very annoyed that I couldn't back out of it or skip it, and ended up using the multitasking to kill that browser session. It hasn't come back since then, so far.

13. 7racer

7racer Member

I know this has been discussed about the ads and respect that. But it makes it hard to justify turning off my ad blocker or paypaling a donation when you surf the site in mobile safari only to have a full redirect to a webpage that says your a winner for a new iPhone!! Total spam!

• Like x 1
  14. HankLloydRight

HankLloydRight Fluxing

Did that happen yesterday?

It happened again to me yesterday.

I'm starting to think those are ads that AT&T are inserting into the stream, not TMC.

Notice it says "every Saturday...."

Here's yesterday's ad:

Attached Files:

15. 7racer

7racer Member

I just posted a complaint in the forum feedback thread.

I think if the owners really want advertising traffic they need to do a better job filtering out crap like this.

Otherwise it will start people ad blocking more defeating their intents with ads in the first place.

• Like x 1
  16. Edmond

Edmond Permanon

lol, Verizon...

• Like x 1
  17. Subhuman

Subhuman Member

Just a data point. I have never had a pop-up / redirect ad while viewing TMC. I have no add blocking software and have not donated to the site. I view it primarily on safari mobile (iPhone) or Internet explorer (PC).

18. CHG-ON

CHG-ON Still in love after all these miles

I use an ad and popup blocker. I'd have to shoot myself if I didn't!

19. doug

Yeah, I saw that yesterday. A different but similar URL than the one before. I blocked all the permutations I could think of.

• Like x 1
  20. kort677

kort677 Active Member

take it up with the admins, they're the one monetizing the site with these ads

• Informative x 1