Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Popup on forums

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I know this has been discussed about the ads and respect that. But it makes it hard to justify turning off my ad blocker or paypaling a donation when you surf the site in mobile safari only to have a full redirect to a webpage that says your a winner for a new iPhone!! Total spam!
This happened to me at about 8:30 am Eastern on Sunday 4/17

Reactions: 7racer
I got one of those (though it correctly said T-Mobile instead) on my phone a day or two ago. I was very annoyed that I couldn't back out of it or skip it, and ended up using the multitasking to kill that browser session. It hasn't come back since then, so far.

The one on my phone changed from an Samsung S6 (my current phone) to my carrier Verizon. So, I'm not sure why it did that, but it was happening every time I log on. I did a virus check, and it has stopped, but when I would try to attach the image of the file it would log me out of the session and I would have to log back in to attach. Weird...but hey, I'm still going strong.

I use an ad and popup blocker. I'd have to shoot myself if I didn't!

I did a virus sweep and popup block and, yup, it seems to have done the job. Others on the X board were getting them also. I just lucked upon this thread by accident. Every time I would use this forum my phone would go haywire. Initially it mentioned my "Samsung Galaxy," blah blah blah. Then it switched to my carrier. Anyway, it seems to have gone away.

I was answering in general that I saw that popup. If you see it take a screenshot and send it to me.

The full URL from this screenshot:

image.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, that one says Verizon, so that rules out my AT&T theory.

I wonder what's triggering those ads? The ad domain probably isn't the same domain that serves the triggering ad, do blocking com-04.com (etc) likely won't work. Very strange.
Are you guys getting these when browsing on your home network (cable/fiber) or on your cellular/wireless network? I don't really know enough to chime in, just that I've never seen this stuff, but I mostly browse over my home wifi.

I'm going to chime in and say I have never had a pop up on TMC (and I didn't donate). I browse mainly on the computer, but sometimes on mobile.

I will say from experience in other sites, sometimes it is because of malicious ads that slip through the ad network. With some effort by the admin it can be stamped out, but it requires the cooperation of those that received the ad to send as much information about the ad as possible.

Are you guys getting these when browsing on your home network (cable/fiber) or on your cellular/wireless network? I don't really know enough to chime in, just that I've never seen this stuff, but I mostly browse over my home wifi.

Saw mine on my cellular (ATT) network. Date and time when I originally posted. Same as more recent ones.

I've only seen it while on a cellular network. It pretended to be from T-mobile, which is my carrier. This kind of info is pretty easy to determine from your cell company's IP address. The ad then tailors the message.

I will say from experience in other sites, sometimes it is because of malicious ads that slip through the ad network. With some effort by the admin it can be stamped out, but it requires the cooperation of those that received the ad to send as much information about the ad as possible.
We use only Google Adsense and are working on tracking it down.