Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Popup on forums

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Doug -- I'm all for ad supported sites (I run them myself), and I even click on a few.

But this morning on my iPhone I was greeted with a popup ad (a new tab in Chrome) AND a javascript alert box on top of that.

See image:
upload_2016-4-10_8-55-41.png

Banner, box, and even skyscraper ads are fine.... but when it gets to intrusive popups with dialog boxes, that's what drives people to install ad blockers. Please look into this and make sure your ad networks are not serving popup/interstitial ads.

thanks.

oh, and please bring back Tapatalk! :)

@HankLloydRight Pop-up type ads aren't allowed on TMC, are you sure you didn't click on it? We block all problem ads via Google Adsense, so thanks for reporting that. If you see it again, try to get a shot of the ad itself. Your screenshot is not of TMC, they only know you came from TMC. At any rate, I've blocked that target url which should also block the source ad.

@HankLloydRight Pop-up type ads aren't allowed on TMC, are you sure you didn't click on it? We block all problem ads via Google Adsense, so thanks for reporting that. If you see it again, try to get a shot of the ad itself. Your screenshot is not of TMC, they only know you came from TMC. At any rate, I've blocked that target url which should also block the source ad.

Yeah, I say the exact same thing to my users when they complain about popups (I also block all popup, video, and offensive ads). But they creep in when you're not looking, despite your best efforts. This was first thing in the morning (before 7am ET), so I think that's their strategy. And yes, I've seen them even squeak by AdSense occasionally.

Also, I didn't click on an ad. I just did what I do every morning when I wake up :) -- I just clicked on "watched threads" and this ad popped up. The ad itself is what you can see below the popup dialog box, but realize it spawned its own new tab in Chrome (on iOS).

• Helpful
Reactions: Andyw2100

I got the same ad, came up as soon as I clicked safari to look at TMC. Saw the prompt, clicked ok, and it gave me a comment that it was sponsored by ATT (my carrier) at behest of TMC. Wanted me to answer some questions, whereupon I swiped it away. Was surprised to see.

Doug -- I'm all for ad supported sites (I run them myself), and I even click on a few.

But this morning on my iPhone I was greeted with a popup ad (a new tab in Chrome) AND a javascript alert box on top of that.

See image:
View attachment 171464

Banner, box, and even skyscraper ads are fine.... but when it gets to intrusive popups with dialog boxes, that's what drives people to install ad blockers. Please look into this and make sure your ad networks are not serving popup/interstitial ads.

thanks.

oh, and please bring back Tapatalk! :)
This actually looks like a virus/scamsite that I've seen a few users get at work a few times. Everchanging urls and always offering ipads/iphones etc as prices in an attempt to get you to click. Never seen it on an actual iphone though.

This actually looks like a virus/scamsite that I've seen a few users get at work a few times. Everchanging urls and always offering ipads/iphones etc as prices in an attempt to get you to click. Never seen it on an actual iphone though.

Yeah, on a browser, I would have done a spyware scan right away. I'm sure my iPhone doesn't have any adware/spyware, etc. So it's strange, for sure.

Every time I log on I get a popup about my phone, see attachment. There is also a person in the Model S forum that mentioned the same thing.

I got one of those (though it correctly said T-Mobile instead) on my phone a day or two ago. I was very annoyed that I couldn't back out of it or skip it, and ended up using the multitasking to kill that browser session. It hasn't come back since then, so far.

I know this has been discussed about the ads and respect that. But it makes it hard to justify turning off my ad blocker or paypaling a donation when you surf the site in mobile safari only to have a full redirect to a webpage that says your a winner for a new iPhone!! Total spam!

Reactions: bollar
I just posted a complaint in the forum feedback thread.

I think if the owners really want advertising traffic they need to do a better job filtering out crap like this.

Otherwise it will start people ad blocking more defeating their intents with ads in the first place.

Reactions: omega731
I know this has been discussed about the ads and respect that. But it makes it hard to justify turning off my ad blocker or paypaling a donation when you surf the site in mobile safari only to have a full redirect to a webpage that says your a winner for a new iPhone!! Total spam!

Just a data point. I have never had a pop-up / redirect ad while viewing TMC. I have no add blocking software and have not donated to the site. I view it primarily on safari mobile (iPhone) or Internet explorer (PC).