Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Porsche’s Mission E caught testing alongside Tesla vehicles

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There are very few companies that don't do this. Tesla being one of them, to a large extent (e.g. Model X actually ended up looking better than its concept). And even Tesla can be accused of doing it with autopilot, if not with the cars themselves ;)

You are of course right that traditionally manufacturers make their concept cars wilder than their eventual production versions. However, where you are wrong is on Tesla - this holds true for Model X as well.

Tesla made a concept car of the Model X that they never shipped. The Model X concept (officially known as the Model X prototype) had a longer wheel-base, massively larger falcon wing doors and a wild interior with a bigger 19" screen at the front, wild storm-trooper-like trim and dash designs, dual touch-screened steering wheel, folding mono-post seats on the second row. And of course an exterior appearance unlike what they eventually shipped...

This was the Model X concept, lest we not forget. Nothing like what shipped:

01c52ca0e05c35c2e734bc47f65a7b52--detroit-tesla-model-x.jpg

This is how massive the entry to the third row was:

i-PfWkBwp-L.jpg

This is what they actually shipped - note that the monopost seat moves under the front seat AND the front seat has moved forward in the production version to give more space, but it is still much more cramped than the prototype that neither moved the front seat, nor folded the second-row under it. The original was so big that Elon could actually slip in and out of the third-row at the 2012 unveil without moving the second-row seat. This is literally impossible in the final car.

2000x.jpg

The original monoposts did this:

TxqHrWu.png

The reality is, Tesla ventured into concept cars with Model X, for whatever reason. And they admitted as much, they said from the start that the final car would not have the wheelbase of the prototype, which even by itself would make it a concept car - together with the 2013 interior it definitely was a concept car.

Last edited:
Exactly, I was just about to say the same.
The Model S concept car was very different to the final Model S.
The Model X concept car was very different to the final Model X.

The only recent Tesla car where the production version is almost identical to the concept is the Model 3. So much so in fact that - if anyone remembers - many people, myself included, were unhappy about the final interior because Elon hinted that it would be different from the concept. Turns out it wasn't after all.

Reactions: AnxietyRanger
Funny thing about the final Model X interior: it has these weird extension pieces on the dash to make a Model S dash fit the Model X. This vent-parts on the sides and the large mesh on the back, all intended to fit a differently shaped dash on the car...

I mean they've succeeded in it pretty well, but once you notice it, it is pretty hard to unsee. :)

Yes. The production cars were better than the beta prototypes.

Well, isn't that the case for many concept cars? Not all of them are actually practical, not had the finishing touches put on them. What you say is true arguably for Model S and has been true e.g. for Audi Q7. This was Audi Q7 concept car, that was a bit like Model S in its evolution:

Pikes_Peak_Concept.jpg

0306_04z%2Baudi_pikes_peak_concept%2Binterior_view_steering_wheel.jpg

This is what shipped - a less wild, more refined look:

25-2010-audi-q7-images2.jpg

33e6c44da984fc22575c09180e1b9f11--audi-suv-future-car.jpg

Model X may be different, though. Its concept version had a longer wheelbase, larger falcon wing opening, folding second-row, steering wheel with touchscreens, larger 19" central computer and a fresh interior design compared to the cramped, recycled Model S interior with fixed monoposts that eventually shipped with Model X...

With Model X some stuff was simply left on the cutting room floor when the concept was made into a production car.

Reactions: AustinPowers
That prototype S interior is SO MUCH better than what we're stuck with. IMO.

Depends on personal taste. I still prefer the prototype S by a large margin.

Seriously? It's so over the top with all that suede and stitching. Like one of those older sports cars that still look nice on the outside but like an old brothel on the inside. I find the production S and X to be much more modern than the prototypes. To each his own.

Seriously? It's so over the top with all that suede and stitching. Like one of those older sports cars that still look nice on the outside but like an old brothel on the inside. I find the production S and X to be much more modern than the prototypes. To each his own.

It's just a matter of how you look at it. All that nonsense you mentioned would never make it into a production car. I'm talking about the desige of the interior. It's like how women always comment on the color of the car and I'm only seeing it as a Ferrari that I can wrap or repaint.

Seriously?

Yes, seriously.

I don't like the look of the interior of the production S (or X) at all. I was, in all honesty, completely aghast when they revealed the production S interior for the first time!
I had so been looking forward to getting a Model S, based on the looks of the concept, especially the interior. The interior of the production version was one of the reasons why I didn't get a Model S after all. The dash for example to me is an amalgamation of shapes and objects that just don't go together nicely, thrown together the best they could, but completely unlike the elegant and flowing shape of the concept dash.

It's not that I don't like modern interiors per se.

For example I really like the Model 3 interior. Just look at it objectively. It is not only modern, but keeps the functionality. It is clean and streamlined, but not a thrown together mismatch of shapes/objects or a barren wasteland of unused space like in the Model S or X. It manages to integrate usable cupholders, door pockets, coat hooks, lighted vanity mirrors, foldable rear armrests etc. beautifully, without compromising the overall modern, reduced look.

The concept S interior - to me - looks much more high class and quality, as well as more comfortable/"cozy" than either the production S or X.
But like you say, to each his own.

Last edited:
Last edited:
I don't like the look of the interior of the production S (or X) at all. I was, in all honesty, completely aghast when they revealed the production S interior for the first time!
I had so been looking forward to getting a Model S, based on the looks of the concept, especially the interior. The interior of the production version was one of the reasons why I didn't get a Model S after all. The dash for example to me is an amalgamation of shapes and objects that just don't go together nicely, thrown together the best they could, but completely unlike the elegant and flowing shape of the concept dash.
Aesthetics are subjective. To each his own. I am so glad that Tesla did not stick with the interior they first showed for the S. I was instantly attracted to the production S interior and enjoyed it every day of my 3 1/2 years of S ownership. I continue to enjoy it now in my X.

Sometimes, “less is more”. And the Model 3 interior continues in that spirit. It’s really stunning in its simplicity and beauty.

Historically, car interiors have been busy, cluttered environments that were frequently confusing to operate and visually just a mess. Tesla took a bold step in simplifying the Model S interior and many people were uncomfortable with it. But I think in the long run it will be judged a success and a template for cars going forward, given that autonomous driving is inevitable.

It’s the difference between a BlackBerry and a modern smartphone. Touch, gesture, and voice control is the way phone work now. Buttons, knobs, dials, are out. Cars will go the same direction.

I thought that was alcantara. Just like you get in the production S and X, and all other expensive as well as sporty vehicles.
Ever seen a real high performance car steering wheel for example?

View attachment 256055

Notice the abundance of "suede" and stitching in that. Does this look like an "old brothel" to you? :rolleyes:

No, this one looks like a fairly new brothel. There's still lots of things I don't like about the Lambo interior. I guess I'm just not a fan of Italian interior design and the Model S prototype dash looks very italian, like Alfa Romeo where you have to stare into a long tube to see the instrument cluster. But I'm probably not a very good design critic. I can't even tell suede from alcantara by looking at a picture.

• Funny
Reactions: AustinPowers
Aesthetics are subjective. To each his own. I am so glad that Tesla did not stick with the interior they first showed for the S. I was instantly attracted to the production S interior and enjoyed it every day of my 3 1/2 years of S ownership. I continue to enjoy it now in my X.

Aesthetics sure are subjective. Usability is not.
I could never enjoy the day to day operation and usage of a Model S or X, based on the highly impractical interior without any amenities that "old-school" people like myself need on a daily basis.

Sometimes, “less is more”. And the Model 3 interior continues in that spirit. It’s really stunning in its simplicity and beauty.

Yes, and sometimes, less is less, as in the case with the S and X which both show the lack of time Tesla had to finish a proper interior. The X in particular doesn't have a dedicated interior which would make the best use out of its size - at least as far as the driver is concerned. Tesla just crammed a Model S dash into it even though it doesn't really fit. Perhaps a Model S / X interior 2.0 will fix all that.

The Model 3 is the perfect example that it can be done, that simplicity and beauty can be combined with usability and comfort.

I am therefor certain I will enjoy every day in my Model 3 - once it finally arrives... sometime in late 2018... or 2019.[/QUOTE]

Reactions: aus
Yes, and sometimes, less is less, as in the case with the S and X which both show the lack of time Tesla had to finish a proper interior. The X in particular doesn't have a dedicated interior which would make the best use out of its size - at least as far as the driver is concerned. Tesla just crammed a Model S dash into it even though it doesn't really fit.
Having put 62K miles on my S and now 7K miles on my X, I disagree. No reason for the X dash and displays to be different than the S. What is in the X works great.

Your driving experience in both models apparently is different than mine.

The Model 3 is the perfect example that it can be done, that simplicity and beauty can be combined with usability and comfort.
On that we agree.