Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Porsche 911 owner -- drove P85+ yesterday -- deposit placed -- MANY QUESTIONS :-)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am sooooo glad to hear you found your way to the grin inspiring KoolAid.

First MS was Silver/Grey/Grey P85. Sold it to get the + and went Red/Black (was worried about Black in S. Florida.. Turned out to not be a problem for the AC).

I drive 60-90 miles a day and charge every few days. I have dual chargers but only really charge fast when caught off guard on an unexpected trip requiring more range than I have on that day. Cheap for the piece of mind in my case.

I'm not sure you can get a + without the air suspension. Now that I have had a few months to drive my wife's coil spring S85 back to back with my air P+, I remember just how big a fan I am of springs. The ideal for me would be coil spring P+ with lowering springs to provide the same (roughly) ride height as Low to Standard on active air.

Heads up on tire wear if you've not already seen the posts. Active air cars carry around -2.2 degrees of rear camber which is not adjustable. Think of a 911 with lowering springs and that's what you have. Longer upper links fix the problem bringing camber back to the -1.2 degrees typically seen on coil spring cars with higher ride height but then you have the issue of the links not being stock Tesla bits. There is plenty of toe adjustment so, unlike the GT3 links, you will not need new toe links with MS.

My wife has all leather seats while my + came with sport seats. No difference for me and probably prefer full leather seats over having alcantera inserts so I would not go out of my way to pay for the inserts (sport seats).

Not sure my opinion counts as I was a BMW guy, not Porsche although you would have to live under a rock not to appreciate the 911tt :)

First Congrats on all the great stuff happening in your life. Like you, I moved out of the city (SF) a while ago. Now with multiple kids, I find it just amazing that the MS will allow me to have my cake and eat it too! I'm planning on ordering mine as a birthday gift to myself.

Every time I start waffling about the color, I see a Grey/Grey and I remember how stunning it is. Definitely the best color and low maintenance too!

Definitely black interior. As others have said, sports seats just aren't worth it because the microsuede isn't placed in spots where it would help keep you from sliding around in your seat.

BTW - Between @texex91 and @lolachampcar, you have the two of the best advisers on Tesla Motors Club.

So, here is what my initial order is:
P85+
Grey with grey wheels, black standard leather seats (non performance), obeche matte
Tech package, Smart air, sound package, panorama roof, parking sensors, fog lamps, carbon fiber spoiler.

My P85+ is gray/gray with black performance seats and carbon fiber interior (to match the rear spoiler), tech, and pano. When I ordered, parking sensors weren't available and most options were bundled with either the tech package (e.g., lighting) or the Performance package (e.g., air suspension). I am still completely happy 2.5 months in. I was a serial Porsche owner as well and the P+ is exhilarating in a way no P-car ever was for me (I never owned a Turbo or GT3, though ;-).

The only downside to the gray is that you get a lot of people thinking it's an Aston Martin, and you have to educate them. It's tough work being a Tesla owner sometimes. :-D

Good luck!

My P85+ is gray/gray with black performance seats and carbon fiber interior (to match the rear spoiler), tech, and pano. When I ordered, parking sensors weren't available and most options were bundled with either the tech package (e.g., lighting) or the Performance package (e.g., air suspension). I am still completely happy 2.5 months in. I was a serial Porsche owner as well and the P+ is exhilarating in a way no P-car ever was for me (I never owned a Turbo or GT3, though ;-).

The only downside to the gray is that you get a lot of people thinking it's an Aston Martin, and you have to educate them. It's tough work being a Tesla owner sometimes. :-D

Good luck!

Here's why it shouldn't be confused with an Aston Martin.

It. is. Way. Better. (in grey): Tesla Model S takes on the Aston Martin Rapide S in the ultimate luxury saloon battle - YouTube

MS P85+ should be the next "Bond car". Who's with me? @texex responding in 3...2...1...

FWIW, +1 to the awesomeness of the grey-grey combination.

I regularly get compliments on the appearance of my P85, and will miss my 21' rims when I have to switch them to the winter 19' set.

This being said, even though grey is lower maintenance that black or dark blue, I have never washed a car as often as my S this summer... It just looks that good!

Ugh guys --- charging is becoming a real blocker. So bummed. I'm looking into various options (chargepoint) etc and it looks like my only option is going to be a 110v in one corner of my condo garage, that I can use here and there. I really want to order the car but am bummed about the limiting charging options. Our high rise garage is actually owned by an independent 3rd party (not our HOA) so my HOA has limited control. I've asked the garage owner to see if I can add a 240v outlet at my expense, still waiting to hear on that.

The 110v will *probably* serve my needs in the short term, given it's a weekend/fun car and I dont have a commute, and we have an Audi Q5 for real heavy duty stuff. Wondering whether I should just have fun with it and order the car now, or wait until we we buy our house (as soon as a month to several months, bay area real estate sucks!).

Anyone know of a good/cheap way to charge publicly in the SOMA area of SF?

thanks.

403 -

Congrats! You will be very happy. I have had a gray on black w gray wheels since March and I love the stealthy look. I had matte black vinyl placed over some of the chrome bits as well. very subtle. It's too bad the "+" wasn't available when I got the car...but I am looking to retrofit.
Also, got rid of an '09 997S and '11 M3 Sedan. I miss the handling of the M3 but hope that the retrofit on my car will take care of that issue.
I think you should go with the black interior. I got lacewood and am happy with it. One last thing about sound...I got the upgrade and was not happy with it so had Reus upgrade the audio. It is hands down the best audio system I have heard in any car I've owned at this time. The speakers that Tesla uses are surprisingly very very good. It's just that the audio needs to be tweaked a bit. So, I would rec the upgrade as you get a sub and better speakers. Music is a big deal to me though...so try to get to the store and listen to the upgrade vs standard.

Enjoy!

I lived for a bit with 110. Wasn't a problem but that would depend upon how much driving you do daily.

Living With 110V | Tesla Owner

The 110v will *probably* serve my needs in the short term, given it's a weekend/fun car and I dont have a commute, and we have an Audi Q5 for real heavy duty stuff. Wondering whether I should just have fun with it and order the car now, or wait until we we buy our house (as soon as a month to several months, bay area real estate sucks!).

thanks.

With 3MPH charging at 110V and no commute, you still may be fine depending on your most common use cases. Even if you completely drain it on the weekend, it'll still be charged up by the following Friday ready for another weekend of fun.

More than 200-some miles on the weekend with no trips near a Supercharger will be trouble for you, though.

Grey with grey. My favorite.

ms.jpg

20130920_103513_HDR.jpg

These pics came from Craig Froehle's Google+ page. He also has a great post on why he bought a MS (8/11/13) https://plus.google.com/photos/1031...5911089271115129778&oid=103183570053193175186

:) I may be one of your harder upsells to a "+". :)

I have about 5000 miles seat time in my P85 and now almost 1000 miles with the P+ suspension retrofit. So I have been able to compare the exact same car with the two different suspension options. The difference is like NIGHT and DAY. The P+ suspension feels so planted and confidence inspiring, while the standard suspension feels a little "nervous". The P+ does exactly what you tell it to do with the steering wheel, while the standard suspension adds its own embellishments like the rear end wiggle when doing quick lane changes on the freeway.

I enjoy driving fast but was never confident enough in the P85's handling to drive it over 85 mph. I've tested the P+ to 105 mph and it is rock solid. You may never care to go that fast, but for me it is nice to know that the P+'s handling behavior does not change as road speed increases.

I'm now convinced that the P+ is the world's best handling luxury 4 door sedan - better than BMW, better than Mercedes and better than Audi. You won't be disappointed if you order a P+, but you might be if you don't. :biggrin:

I have about 5000 miles seat time in my P85 and now almost 1000 miles with the P+ suspension retrofit. So I have been able to compare the exact same car with the two different suspension options. The difference is like NIGHT and DAY. The P+ suspension feels so planted and confidence inspiring, while the standard suspension feels a little "nervous". The P+ does exactly what you tell it to do with the steering wheel, while the standard suspension adds its own embellishments like the rear end wiggle when doing quick lane changes on the freeway.

I enjoy driving fast but was never confident enough in the P85's handling to drive it over 85 mph. I've tested the P+ to 105 mph and it is rock solid. You may never care to go that fast, but for me it is nice to know that the P+'s handling behavior does not change as road speed increases.

I'm now convinced that the P+ is the world's best handling luxury 4 door sedan - better than BMW, better than Mercedes and better than Audi. You won't be disappointed if you order a P+, but you might be if you don't. :biggrin:

Damn you, dennis. ;)

You're like the retrofit version of tex with this post.

+1:"world's best handling luxury 4 door sedan"