TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Porsche Announces BEV Concept Car - "Mission E"

Discussion in 'Electric Vehicles' started by MartinAustin, Sep 14, 2015.

1. MartinAustin

MartinAustin Active Member

Porsche Unveils Prototype Battery-Driven Sports Car - WSJ

Or...
    Google
    (click the first link to see the article and sidestep WSJ subscription requirement)

Porsche hasn't yet said where this car will be charged, the capacity of the battery, or how many GWh of cars they will produce per year. Currently Tesla produces 4GWh of cars per year (50,000 cars averaging 80kWh each - just my napkin math)

I would still like a BEV Porsche that did 0-60 in 3.5 seconds and could drive around a track until the battery was flat. Unlike the Tesla which goes into its flaccid mode after a few minutes.

2. Johan

Johan Took a TSLA bear test. Came back negative.

1) 500 km on a full charge in a lighter sportscar, though 4-door and likely larger than the Roadster sounds to me like a 70kWh or so battery (the 500 kms being optimistic as always in press release cars). 0-80% in 15 minutes would mean a very high charge rate, something like 200+ kW (Tesla's SC does 120 kW). I'd like to see that connector... Being a bit more realistic let's say the 500 km is really 350 km at 160 Wh/km (careful driving) which would mean 56kWh battery and that the 15 minutes of charging is really 20 minutes - that would put the 0-80% charge power at 130kW which seems more realistic.

2) At the end of the year they will decide whether they build the car or not. Is this statement worthy of a press release or did Audi just get some serious competition in the EV press release cars market?

3. RichardL

RichardL Member

Is there a picture of the actual prototype? - all I could see is an old picture of a Cayman

4. SabrToothSqrl

SabrToothSqrl Active Member

Looks like they went to the old school car makers class of EV design.

Does it have an engine? No? Better make it look goofy so people won't buy it! Then we can have poor sales and blame it on the battery.

5. mspohr

mspohr Active Member

Another press announcement of another "Tesla Killer" which you might be able to buy in a few years if they decide to build it and can actually build it... Please, give me a break, just build it and save the hype for when I can actually buy one.
    Great quote from TFA: “We have mastered the technology,” he said. “But there is no point coming out too soon if the market isn’t there yet.”
    If they haven't built it, what makes them think they have "mastered" the technology? ... and the market? The fact that Tesla has been able to sell every car they can build (plus a big backlog) means they have doubts about the market?
    We need more real electric cars that we can actually buy, not press releases.

6. hobbes

hobbes Active Member

They say they are aiming for a 800V system voltage instead of 400V which they say is typical now (what does the Model S have?) - that would cut the needed current at same charge rate by a factor of two and therefore reduce the heat build up. But no charging infrastructure there for this yet, though they still have a few years until 2019. We´ll see if Porsche time is any quicker than Tesla/Elon time ;).

Must admit I like the design, while it is in no way as everyday-usable as a Model S. And, still a just a concept, not even a prototype.
    They do have a very cool web site if you want to see more.

Screen shot 2015-09-14 at 9.21.30 PM.png
    Screen shot 2015-09-14 at 9.33.52 PM.png

7. trils0n

trils0n 2013 P85

More pictures here:

Porsche Mission E: The Tesla Killer Porsche Has To Build

I have to say, it is a nice looking concept. Futuristic without looking like a bad sci-fi movie prop like the i8. Pics seem to show a CCS connector, so not sure how that will work with the charging rates they are proposing, or the supposed 800v battery.

8. yobigd20

yobigd20 Well-Known Member

9. JST

JST Active Member

#9 JST, Sep 14, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2015
  10. lolachampcar

lolachampcar Active Member

If there was a car company that could do it, I would bet on Porsche. They have history with KERS type systems in their race cars and a dedicated core group of engineers that MIGHT be able to switch from ICE to BeV thinking.

Fingers crossed. I'd like to see someone else get in the game.

11. dsm363

dsm363 Roadster + Sig Model S

It's cool looking but 2019 "at the earliest" if they decide to build it. Right around the time when Tesla might deliver the next Roadster with ~2.2 second 0-60 time. Well done Porsche.

12. skilly

skilly Member

#12 skilly, Sep 14, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 14, 2015
  13. lolachampcar

lolachampcar Active Member

I'm hard pressed to see Tesla building a second generation Roadster...... Those super low volume very high priced cars consume engineering resources that, at a company like Tesla, are simply better spent on bigger picture projects.

In addition, super sportscars have to perform over 100 mph. BeV does not currently lend itself to long periods of very high energy output making it way more difficult to do a small, light, very high performance sportscar using batteries. Where batteries do work wonders is in filling in torque gaps in the ICE equation. Smaller motor and smaller battery optimized for internal resistance and not capacity.

It's not that I do not want it, it is just I do not see Tesla doing it.

14. JST

JST Active Member

This article on the Q6 says it has a 95 kWh battery pack. If VAG is smart, this would be a common part with the Mission E (I haven't seen a capacity given for the Mission E's battery). Of course, this article also suggests that the Q6 will use a 150 kW charging system with a recharge time of 30 min, as opposed to 15 min that has been given for the Porsche.

Does that mean that these two cars don't share a common charging platform?

15. dsm363

dsm363 Roadster + Sig Model S

I thought Elon talked about it when he mentioned the Maximum Plaid speed Roadster. I don't think Tesla would be going after the no limits 100+mph Supercars. They'd just have the goal to beat almost anything out there to 60mph.

16. Vgsllc1

Vgsllc1 Member

you cannot buy concept* car...

17. tstafford

tstafford Member

I'm a P-car guy at heart and that is cool. However - I pretty much have the same thing in my P85D (performance, range, utility). Until we see some reviews about the handling I'll reserve judgment. I think it would be awesome if Porsche can come up with a solid alternative to Tesla. I understand the whole SC network thing, but I for one drive exclusive in range of my house so it's not a barrier for me to own a different brand.

18. Zextraterrestrial

and add nutty cornering capabilities

19. Ride Long

Ride Long Member

This is awesome news. On one level any time EVs make inroads in the ICE community that's a step in the right direction. On another level if Tesla is to continue to develop and market world-changing technology they need someone outside Fremont to push them. Why do we have an iPhone 6s now? Because the top of the line Android phones are damn good also. An all-electric Porsche only means Teslas will be better 5 years from now than they would be otherwise without an all-electric Porsche.

20. Spidy

Spidy Member

So like the Model 3?