Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Porsche delivers the P3D version of the Taycan.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
https://electrek.co/2020/02/14/porsche-delivers-first-taycan-4s/

Well Well,

Porsche did it at almost twice the price of a Model 3. <------They should be embarrassed.

79.2kWh pack - yep P3D like.
253 miles - not quite P3D numbers but acceptable
$104,000. - whoaaa - missed the total boat on that one.

I could buy a spare P3D for a little more than the cheaper Taycan.

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: gowthamn
Did you do the same for a P3D - at half the price?
I promise you, Taycan buyers are not contemplating purchasing Tesla P3D...even at half the price, and if I was in the market for a Taycan, I wouldn't either.

These are completely different vehicles for completely different buyers.

Do you think its worth $104k to $175k?
Absolutely. No question about it.

Reactions: gowthamn
I promise you, Taycan buyers are not contemplating purchasing Tesla P3D...even at half the price, and if I was in the market for a Taycan, I wouldn't either.

These are completely different vehicles for completely different buyers.

Absolutely. No question about it.
Really?

I'm going to test drive one. Not today.....its snowing. - but I am soon.

• Funny
Reactions: tvad and ACA Man

These are completely different vehicles for completely different buyers...

Agree completely. People just don't seem to understand this. When I bought my 5 figure Rolex watch, you can be sure I did not consider or regret not buying a TAG Heuer at less than half the price of the Rolex, because the TAG was a better value. These types of products are mostly status purchases/symbols, just because one can and/or wants the "prestige" of owning one.

Personally, I'm not a Porsche fan... never have been and that's probably a good thing for my bank account ;)
Perhaps that would change if I owned one! :D

• Informative
Reactions: pilotSteve
Agree completely. People just don't seem to understand this. When I bought my 5 figure Rolex watch, you can be sure I did not consider or regret not buying a TAG Heuer at less than half the price of the Rolex, because the TAG was a better value. These types of products are mostly status purchases/symbols, just because one can and/or wants the "prestige" of owning one.

Personally, I'm not a Porsche fan... never have been and that's probably a good thing for my bank account ;)
Perhaps that would change if I owned one! :D

Maybe I shouldn't test drive the Porsche.

My P3D is good enough for me right now. - And I can drive it down to Memphis from Chicago without any range anxiety at all.

When I bought my 5 figure Rolex watch, you can be sure I did not consider or regret not buying a TAG Heuer at less than half the price of the Rolex, because the TAG was a better value.
Great example. I was about to post something similar using the new Timex Submariner-esque model. The Timex looks similar to a Rolex Submariner, and probably keeps time as accurately (perhaps even more accurately)...but it's not a Rolex, and no one in the market for a Rolex is ever going to consider buying the Timex because it's a "better value".

Different products. Different buyers.

Great example. I was about to post something similar using the new Timex Submariner-esque model. The Timex looks similar to a Rolex Submariner, and probably keeps time as accurately (perhaps even more accurately)...but it's not a Rolex, and no one in the market for a Rolex is ever going to consider buying the Timex because it's a "better value".

Different products. Different buyers.

I'm not trying to compare people. I'm trying to compare cars.

I understand that people who buy Porsches aren't necessarily the people who are looking for deals or efficiency or practicality.

Eliminating the different type of people...….lets compare the cars.

I'm not trying to compare people. I'm trying to compare cars.

I understand that people who buy Porsches aren't necessarily the people who are looking for deals or efficiency or practicality.

Eliminating the different type of people...….lets compare the cars.
I don't believe you can eliminate the people, because they comprise the market segment targeted by each company.

Use the example of Timex, or Tag Heuer to Rolex made above.

It's unlikely someone in the market for a Taycan would test drive a Tesla P3D as an alternative, but it is likely a Tesla P3D shopper might test drive a Taycan to justify the buyer's value judgment and reinforce the P3D purchase.

Different buyers.

Last edited:
Reactions: jjrandorin