TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Porsche EV charger development in England

Discussion in 'Electric Vehicles' started by T34ME, Oct 2, 2017.

1. T34ME

T34ME Active Member

I was waiting in a terminal yesterday for outbound transportation and got into a conversation with a man from Great Britain. He said he was an electrical engineer with the largest electrical contractor in Great Britain and they are specializing in alternative forms of electric generation. I repeat here what he told me and I cannot verify what he said is true, I only repeat as an interesting conversation.

He said that his company was in negotiations with Porsche to build high power EV chargers in England. The size of the contract is 25M GBP (about USD 33M). He said that initial installations will be at Porsche dealerships and then expanding from there into other locations in England. He said the goal and specification was to provide a "full charge" in 15 minutes! Porsche has told them that their E-mission will be on the road in late 2018.

He commented that Jaguar doesn't appear to be willing to invest any significant sums into EV charger development. BMW and Audi have not made any significant commitment to England at this point. He said the only Japanese manufacturer to show any interest in England was Nissan but it hasn't developed a car that can compete with TESLA as a stand alone personal transportation vehicle. So, at this time, only Porsche and TESLA are seriously pursuing the GB market.

He went on to say that they have been working with TESLA on SuperCharger construction, Powerwalls, and Solar tile installations. He said the solar tiles are showing "great promise."

It was then time for us to head to our separate destinations. I was unable to ask him about the specifications for the EV chargers, charge port protocol, and construction schedule.

While in conversation, another fellow "from Reno" was ease dropping and interjected that he was upset with TESLA because Nevada had given them a "Yuge tax break" to build their Gigafactory in Nevada. I didn't feel it was necessary to point out to him that Nevada gives him a Yuge tax break since he pays no personal State income tax and TESLA is on the way to providing 10K additional jobs to the Nevada economy. ;)

• Informative x 2
  2. Lokolo

Lokolo Member

There is a lot of ifs, buts and wondering around in the UK. The government are extremely keen on getting charging networks out there. An example of this is forcing all petrol stations to have charging stations.

They have also mentioned that all charging networks should be available to everyone.

With all these comments by the government/HM then I am not surprised a lot of manufacturers are holding back. Tesla has done a reasonable job on the supercharging network but with a lot of money being pumped into charging infrastructure, there are going to be a lot of changes over the next 2-3 years and it will be interesting to see what Tesla does, and what other manufacturers do.

3. wycolo

wycolo Active Member

> all charging networks should be available to everyone.

Finally, just show some muscle and voila, everyone's problems solved!
    --