TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Porsche Mission E

Discussion in 'Electric Vehicles' started by johnnyS, Apr 27, 2016.

1. johnnyS

johnnyS Member

As a Porsche owner, I get monthly newsletters from two local dealerships. This month they feature the Mission E. I read the story hoping to learn more, but the article has no substance other than mentioning it will be fast charging. Will this be a halo vehicle priced like the 918? Will this be an everyday Porsche? What will the range be? I could get excited about a Boxster/Cayman with an electric drivetrain. The concept car looks kind of like a Panamera electrified.

I reserved a model S a couple of years before it came out. I had an idea of the base price, size, and performance. The Porsche seems to be vapor ware in comparison. I am too big for the original Tesla roadster so I will just have to wait for the next Roadster.

• Like x 1
  2. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

At this point I think the Porsche Mission E is vaporware. That is why Porsche gives out almost no specifics about it. Porsche is late to the EV party, and if they wait much longer they have a bleak future. The Model S has taken a lot of sales from the Panamera, and the X is going to take a lot of Cayenne sales.

I have owned several Porsches. It seems quite unlikely that I will ever own another one.

• Like x 2
  3. GoTslaGo

GoTslaGo Learning Member

Didn't Tesla poach the Mission E interior designer?

4. RobStark

RobStark Active Member

Yes........

My guess is that if Mission E does come out it will be similar to Audi R8 etron.

Special order only starting at $150k or so and topping out at ~$300k.

5. johnnyS

johnnyS Member

Our plan is to sell our when our model 3 reservation comes up. There are days when I need something smaller than a model S.

6. ecarfan

I'm unclear on what this post has to do with the Porsche Mission E concept.

7. AZ Desert Driver

AZ Desert Driver Genesis - The Beginning - MS60D in its nest

Sometime deep in the last century, I had a Porsche ---- Fast (cops loved it), low center of gravity for quick turns (cops loved it).....Could not take a picnic basket anywhere. LOUD engine behind my ear. Could not see over guard rails so scenery was a blur. Other than it being a chick magnet there was not much substance to the design.
    Now- the MS seems to be capable of passengers, being quiet, and with two trunks might be good for a picnic, its sedan height can display scenery, and then there is the Porsche performance+. And I no longer need a chick magnet.
    As ecarfan said "I have owned several Porsches. It seems quite unlikely that I will ever own another one." might apply to me..regardless of current Porsche design moves.

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  8. Darren F

Darren F Member

Seems clear to me he is saying he will sell his Porsche.

9. ecarfan

Okay, so when @johnnyS wrote "Our plan is to sell our when our model 3 reservation comes up" he left out the word "Porsche" in that sentence. Got it.

• Like x 1
  10. RDoc

RDoc S85D

I wonder what the chances are that by the time the Mission E actually comes out, Tesla will have at least announced it's next model sports car?

11. Spidy

Spidy Member

You just never pushed those cars to the limit. Come to Germany and you will see where a Porsche excels. A Model S is nice for the on ramp of the Autobahn, but that's pretty much it apart from that you sit in the center lane going 120-140km/h and relax. If you floor it somewhere at higher speeds little will happen. You can't go very fast, even just 250km/h is just possible for a short period of time. A Porsche will go fast for a long time and still have good acceleration at higher speeds, especially when you have a turbo no to mention going into a corner/bend at 300km/h that's just an amazing feeling when you see how the car handles it.

It honestly always surprised me why people brought these cars outside Germany, it's like having them in valet mode 24/7 :rolleyes:

The Model S is a great sedan with insane acceleration, but it's not a sports car.

12. McRat

McRat Active Member

#12 McRat, Apr 30, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2016
    There are people who track their cars in the US, we have events in my area about once a week. There are probably more track focused cars sold in the US than other countries. Our gas is cheap and so are our sports cars. $60k buys you a lot of car in the US. And we do sell several models of affordable 300+ km/h cars. If you are willing to buy used, perhaps $50k in the US, complete with massive carbon ceramic brakes. Mine goes about 330 km/h on GPS in under 4 km.

It's not a clever idea to play kid racer with other people and trees around. Killing yourself is a PITA, but not that important. Killing others is sort of crime against your neighbors, so keeping it on closed courses or open desert roads is best.

13. AZ Desert Driver

AZ Desert Driver Genesis - The Beginning - MS60D in its nest

I drove mine in West Texas and the Kansas prairie . I did push it...wow did I push it. Got a ticket with the fellow showing me his radar gun flashing 140 mph (after I hit the brakes hard). Yep, high speed corning was awesome. But the local police just waited for me to show off. My green 911T was the only one for hundreds of mile radius, so any infraction was hard to deny. I saw a lot of hubcaps and guardrails. Not much countryside.
    That was in my younger days..a bit more reckless time in my life. Now, a SUV is more appropriate, and this M3 will be my sedan for the first time in a long time.

14. Kandiru

Kandiru Member

All major manufacturers are trying to show that they are working on electrification. They are scared xxxxless and have no idea how much to invest in EV efforts. The problem is that this will result in half baked projects.

As for Porsche, they are truly enthusiast driver oriented and deserve respect, I am sure their car will be a tech jewel.

• Like x 1
  15. malcolm

malcolm Active Member

Porsche Really Wants the Mission E to Stomp Tesla

Hmmm. Methinks someone doth complain too much.

16. GoTslaGo

GoTslaGo Learning Member

I really dislike the new headlight scheme. Too insect-like.

17. ecarfan

Exactly. Quote from the artide "There’s still no word on when exactly the Porsche Mission E will reach production, but our initial reports indicated the provisional launch date was set for 2019. "

I wish Porsche the very best. But Porsche shows zero interest in building a useful charging network for this mythical car that is supposed to charge to 80% in 15 minutes.

18. EarlyAdopter

EarlyAdopter Active Member

I just realized what they did with the name:

Mission E
    E Mission
    Emission

Lol. Nice one VW Group.

• Funny x 3
  19. jbcarioca

jbcarioca Active Member

Rio de Janeiro, Brazil and Coral Gables, FL
    I have owned three. I strongly doubt I'll ever own another.

20. pmadflyer

pmadflyer Member

I think I figured out how tesla reserved so many cars. Unlike some German companies, they actually had an electric car in 2008. I really want the Mission E to make it, but it seems the German electric cars are always coming in a few more years. Maybe they'll get to market a little after Model R.

I wonder just how badly Tesla is hurting Porsche. Two of my friends and I sold a stranger with a 911 on a Model S. It wasn't difficult.