Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Porsche Unveils Prototype Battery-Driven Sports Car - WSJ

Or...
Google
(click the first link to see the article and sidestep WSJ subscription requirement)

Porsche hasn't yet said where this car will be charged, the capacity of the battery, or how many GWh of cars they will produce per year. Currently Tesla produces 4GWh of cars per year (50,000 cars averaging 80kWh each - just my napkin math)

I would still like a BEV Porsche that did 0-60 in 3.5 seconds and could drive around a track until the battery was flat. Unlike the Tesla which goes into its flaccid mode after a few minutes.

The prototype can travel 500 kilometers on a full charge. It can be recharged to 80% in about 15 minutes, Mr. Müller said.
A final decision whether to build the car is expected at the end of the year. If all goes according to plan, Porsche’s electric sports car could hit the streets in 2019.

1) 500 km on a full charge in a lighter sportscar, though 4-door and likely larger than the Roadster sounds to me like a 70kWh or so battery (the 500 kms being optimistic as always in press release cars). 0-80% in 15 minutes would mean a very high charge rate, something like 200+ kW (Tesla's SC does 120 kW). I'd like to see that connector... Being a bit more realistic let's say the 500 km is really 350 km at 160 Wh/km (careful driving) which would mean 56kWh battery and that the 15 minutes of charging is really 20 minutes - that would put the 0-80% charge power at 130kW which seems more realistic.

2) At the end of the year they will decide whether they build the car or not. Is this statement worthy of a press release or did Audi just get some serious competition in the EV press release cars market?

Another press announcement of another "Tesla Killer" which you might be able to buy in a few years if they decide to build it and can actually build it... Please, give me a break, just build it and save the hype for when I can actually buy one.
Great quote from TFA: “We have mastered the technology,” he said. “But there is no point coming out too soon if the market isn’t there yet.”
If they haven't built it, what makes them think they have "mastered" the technology? ... and the market? The fact that Tesla has been able to sell every car they can build (plus a big backlog) means they have doubts about the market?
We need more real electric cars that we can actually buy, not press releases.

Reactions: Bobbo8
0-80% in 15 minutes would mean a very high charge rate, something like 200+ kW (Tesla's SC does 120 kW). I'd like to see that connector...

They say they are aiming for a 800V system voltage instead of 400V which they say is typical now (what does the Model S have?) - that would cut the needed current at same charge rate by a factor of two and therefore reduce the heat build up. But no charging infrastructure there for this yet, though they still have a few years until 2019. We´ll see if Porsche time is any quicker than Tesla/Elon time ;).

Is there a picture of the actual prototype? - all I could see is an old picture of a Cayman

Must admit I like the design, while it is in no way as everyday-usable as a Model S. And, still a just a concept, not even a prototype.
They do have a very cool web site if you want to see more.

Screen shot 2015-09-14 at 9.21.30 PM.png

Screen shot 2015-09-14 at 9.33.52 PM.png

• Love
Reactions: ENVUSM3
If there was a car company that could do it, I would bet on Porsche. They have history with KERS type systems in their race cars and a dedicated core group of engineers that MIGHT be able to switch from ICE to BeV thinking.

Fingers crossed. I'd like to see someone else get in the game.

I'm hard pressed to see Tesla building a second generation Roadster...... Those super low volume very high priced cars consume engineering resources that, at a company like Tesla, are simply better spent on bigger picture projects.

In addition, super sportscars have to perform over 100 mph. BeV does not currently lend itself to long periods of very high energy output making it way more difficult to do a small, light, very high performance sportscar using batteries. Where batteries do work wonders is in filling in torque gaps in the ICE equation. Smaller motor and smaller battery optimized for internal resistance and not capacity.

It's not that I do not want it, it is just I do not see Tesla doing it.

This article on the Q6 says it has a 95 kWh battery pack. If VAG is smart, this would be a common part with the Mission E (I haven't seen a capacity given for the Mission E's battery). Of course, this article also suggests that the Q6 will use a 150 kW charging system with a recharge time of 30 min, as opposed to 15 min that has been given for the Porsche.

Does that mean that these two cars don't share a common charging platform?

I'm hard pressed to see Tesla building a second generation Roadster...... Those super low volume very high priced cars consume engineering resources that, at a company like Tesla, are simply better spent on bigger picture projects.

In addition, super sportscars have to perform over 100 mph. BeV does not currently lend itself to long periods of very high energy output making it way more difficult to do a small, light, very high performance sportscar using batteries. Where batteries do work wonders is in filling in torque gaps in the ICE equation. Smaller motor and smaller battery optimized for internal resistance and not capacity.

It's not that I do not want it, it is just I do not see Tesla doing it.

I thought Elon talked about it when he mentioned the Maximum Plaid speed Roadster. I don't think Tesla would be going after the no limits 100+mph Supercars. They'd just have the goal to beat almost anything out there to 60mph.

I'm a P-car guy at heart and that is cool. However - I pretty much have the same thing in my P85D (performance, range, utility). Until we see some reviews about the handling I'll reserve judgment. I think it would be awesome if Porsche can come up with a solid alternative to Tesla. I understand the whole SC network thing, but I for one drive exclusive in range of my house so it's not a barrier for me to own a different brand.

This is awesome news. On one level any time EVs make inroads in the ICE community that's a step in the right direction. On another level if Tesla is to continue to develop and market world-changing technology they need someone outside Fremont to push them. Why do we have an iPhone 6s now? Because the top of the line Android phones are damn good also. An all-electric Porsche only means Teslas will be better 5 years from now than they would be otherwise without an all-electric Porsche.