Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Those are pretty good looking renders. I bet the final version is pretty close to those, but obviously, they aren't going to look as dramatic with real world lighting.

Given what we know so far, I am guessing the base price is probably just under $80,000. The base version likely has around 400 hp and well under 200 miles of range with a 0-60 time around 4.5 seconds. It will lose efficiency due to having two permanent magnet motors... neither motor can torque sleep. The base version probably has 150 kW DCFC. Probably can be optioned up beyond $100,000 pretty easily. There might be a total of 3 variants, with the top end variant getting 0-60 in under 3 seconds. That one will have 220-250 kW charging with like 230-250 miles of EPA range. Price likely starts around $150,000. I would guess that the mid level variant would be $115,000 with 0-60 in the 3.7 kind of range, maybe 200-220 miles of range.

Really, range isn't an issue with this car. No one is really road tripping this vehicle. It's a sports car with bragging rights. It just needs enough energy to run around a track for a little bit.
I agree with most of your predictions. Except perhaps the part about the base model having well below sub 200 mil range. I just can't imagine them competing with Tesla or any future EV in that price range if they don't at least have 210+ mile range. I would argue that range is one of, if not the biggest deterrent for most consumers who are looking to switch to an EV. One positive I did hear is that the battery pack might be upgradable.

Really, range isn't an issue with this car. No one is really road tripping this vehicle. It's a sports car with bragging rights. It just needs enough energy to run around a track for a little bit.

Range is an issue for every EV. I expect the ride comfort should be similar to Panamera, and the road noise dampening far superior to the model 3 - hence it would become my preferred Grand Tourer. It is true that many people will not need to supercharge. That being said, I frequently do a 90 mile round trip to Minneapolis. Having to charge there in winter / adverse weather (which will most certainly happen with a rated range of 250 miles or less) is quite inconvenient. Even if the Porsche charging stations will be open and accessible 24/7, still not much fun.

I have a rated 310 miles on our performance 3, yet had to stop at the supercharger to make safely a little over 200 miles this Saturday - headwinds up to 40 mph last weekend. And this is in 50F weather....

So anything <250 miles is a no go for me.

Range is an issue for every EV. I expect the ride comfort should be similar to Panamera, and the road noise dampening far superior to the model 3 - hence it would become my preferred Grand Tourer. It is true that many people will not need to supercharge. That being said, I frequently do a 90 mile round trip to Minneapolis. Having to charge there in winter / adverse weather (which will most certainly happen with a rated range of 250 miles or less) is quite inconvenient. Even if the Porsche charging stations will be open and accessible 24/7, still not much fun.

I have a rated 310 miles on our performance 3, yet had to stop at the supercharger to make safely a little over 200 miles this Saturday - headwinds up to 40 mph last weekend. And this is in 50F weather....

So anything <250 miles is a no go for me.
What speed were you driving in your model 3?

What speed were you driving in your model 3?

Going at 73 mph, 4 adults in the car, no luggage, heating at 71F. I was using around 400-410 Wh/mi. I probably could have made it home without supercharging, but why risk it?

I know that you can significantly reduce the consumption by reducing speed and setting the temp lower - have done that many times in my P85D on the same route (that car had a rated range of 253 miles, and in winter barely made it to Minneapolis and back). But what is the point of owning a luxury EV if you cannot drive comfortably? With that in mind, 300 miles is the minimum rated range I would consider reasonable.

Going at 73 mph, 4 adults in the car, no luggage, heating at 71F. I was using around 400-410 Wh/mi. I probably could have made it home without supercharging, but why risk it?

I know that you can significantly reduce the consumption by reducing speed and setting the temp lower - have done that many times in my P85D on the same route (that car had a rated range of 253 miles, and in winter barely made it to Minneapolis and back). But what is the point of owning a luxury EV if you cannot drive comfortably? With that in mind, 300 miles is the minimum rated range I would consider reasonable.
I will be going on a 180 mile RT this weekend in the boondocks , my first long trip in our MS. There are no superchargers along the way, and nothing more than a Level 1 at the hotel or at my client site. One level 2 about 60 miles away from client site aka 30 miles from home.
Strategy is to charge to 100pc just before I start [ from reading here, wisdom dictates you should NOT charge to 100pc frequently and if you do, not let it sit with 100pc charge] Temp shall be in 36-43 per weather websites.
Any tips you have for me are greatly appreciated

I will be going on a 180 mile RT this weekend in the boondocks , my first long trip in our MS. There are no superchargers along the way, and nothing more than a Level 1 at the hotel or at my client site. One level 2 about 60 miles away from client site aka 30 miles from home.
Strategy is to charge to 100pc just before I start [ from reading here, wisdom dictates you should NOT charge to 100pc frequently and if you do, not let it sit with 100pc charge] Temp shall be in 36-43 per weather websites.

It should be OK, but it depends on:
1. what battery size you have - I think anything equal or above 75D should be OK for a 180 mile trip. Not sure about 60 or 70 batteries
2. temperature is important but in my experience much more predictable than wind / rain (no snow this time of the year I hope). At 36-43 should be easy.

Best advice(s):
1. put the navigation on - even if you know the road perfectly. That allows your energy app to calculate how much battery you will have at destination (and in fact also at your return). The consumption is optimistic, but after initial adjustment over the first 15-20 miles, the estimate is rock solid - it never failed me in 3 years.
2. for model S, make sure you have range mode on, and disable all communication with the car at night, so you minimize vampire drain while being there.
3. If you are staying overnight and you can plug in, do so. Level 1 overnight should be plenty. Even a regular 110 will trickle 2-3 miles per hour.

Have a nice trip

• Helpful
Reactions: iCharge

The single best thing to improve range is to lower your speed to 65 mph if you can... second best is to use your seat heaters :cool:

• Informative
Reactions: ggr
It should be OK, but it depends on:
1. what battery size you have - I think anything equal or above 75D should be OK for a 180 mile trip. Not sure about 60 or 70 batteries
2. temperature is important but in my experience much more predictable than wind / rain (no snow this time of the year I hope). At 36-43 should be easy.

Best advice(s):
1. put the navigation on - even if you know the road perfectly. That allows your energy app to calculate how much battery you will have at destination (and in fact also at your return). The consumption is optimistic, but after initial adjustment over the first 15-20 miles, the estimate is rock solid - it never failed me in 3 years.
2. for model S, make sure you have range mode on, and disable all communication with the car at night, so you minimize vampire drain while being there.
3. If you are staying overnight and you can plug in, do so. Level 1 overnight should be plenty. Even a regular 110 will trickle 2-3 miles per hour.

Have a nice trip
Thank you for your detailed reply. Mine is a 2018 75D.
Hopefully there will be no snow, but around here, you never know :)
I called the hotel, they have a 110V non GFCI, for $3/day - so I will definitely be able to put around 10-15 miles overnight at and least warm it up in the morning without using much battery power.

Obviously I am new to Tesla, [ just fig'd out how to put info in my 'signature' ]
trying not to hack this thread with off topic discussion. so Sent you a PM with some follow up qns,

Don't believe that any of the competitors are going to get better efficiency out of their battery packs and drive systems than Tesla.

It will become their competitive edge.
that and I also feel that Tesla is way ahead of everyone in terms of US interstate coverage with superchargers. Others have not even started yet. Its similar to how the iOS app store was so mature before Google Market ahem Play Store took off

I called the hotel, they have a 110V non GFCI, for $3/day - so I will definitely be able to put around 10-15 miles overnight at and least warm it up in the morning without using much battery power.
You might well get more than that too, or at least if the temps drop substantially, you shouldn't lose (much) more overnight. I've found I underestimate the helpfulness of standard outlets when we're staying overnight (we've done several trips where a standard outlet was the only option...) I make a point of IMMEDIATELY plugging in the car as soon as we arrive and making it THE last thing we do before setting off. All of a sudden, you realize you've gained 30-40 miles, which is often enough to give that extra level of breathing room.

• Helpful
Thank you for your detailed reply. Mine is a 2018 75D.
Hopefully there will be no snow, but around here, you never know :)
I called the hotel, they have a 110V non GFCI, for $3/day - so I will definitely be able to put around 10-15 miles overnight at and least warm it up in the morning without using much battery power...

Ask the hotel to send you a photo of the receptacle. It might be a 20 amp version. (The slot for the neutral blade has a T shape.) If so, a NEMA 5-20 adapter would be a good thing to carry in your charge kit for an extra couple MPH of charging.

I make a point of IMMEDIATELY plugging in the car as soon as we arrive and making it THE last thing we do before setting off.
Even more critical in very cold weather, when you want to plug in while the battery is still warm enough to take a charge. If the battery cools to <32F, 120V is worthless. The battery is too cold to charge, and there isn't enough power from the outlet to get any significant heat into the pack.

Don't believe that any of the competitors are going to get better efficiency out of their battery packs and drive systems than Tesla.

It will become their competitive edge.
Tesla will likely maintain a competitive edge, but others won't be far behind. Automakers reverse engineer competitors' products all the time; there aren't many secrets in the industry (just ask VW).

For many, Tesla's advantage won't matter. The 3 is better than the Bolt by most standards, but the Bolt is good enough for many.

that and I also feel that Tesla is way ahead of everyone in terms of US interstate coverage with superchargers. Others have not even started yet. Its similar to how the iOS app store was so mature before Google Market ahem Play Store took off
And yet Android has ~80% market share... ;) "First mover advantage" isn't often what it's cracked up to be. Just ask all those pre-iPod MP3 players (I probably still have a Creative Labs MP3 player in a drawer somewhere).

And yet Android has ~80% market share... ;) "First mover advantage" isn't often what it's cracked up to be. Just ask all those pre-iPod MP3 players (I probably still have a Creative Labs MP3 player in a drawer somewhere).

Agreed, with that.
I was talking strictly about market share in US as Tesla is not even [officially] available in many countries. And unlike iDevices which have some duty, Tesla prices can be drastically different in countries due to vehicle import duty [ upto 125% of sale price in some countries ] to "tax surcharge" [ Electric car Tesla slapped with $15,000 tax surcharge]

First mover advantage has certainly stuck with iOS in US, where customer purchasing power is greater and elsewhere Android caught up due to its lower priced sets. https://www.moontechnolabs.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/02/Map-iOS-vs-Android_0.png

I think in US, first mover advantage will continue to be with Tesla at least for another 7-10 years, and then other manufacturers will start chipping away Tesla's EV share, especially on the lower end of the market. Think BYD, Geely, and Beijing EV. Others that may match Tesla's quality and finesse like NIO are also worth watching. On the mid-upper end, Audi / Porsche / VW will challenge Tesla in terms of Models.

here is where I think having the infrastructure in place will be the deciding factor, because Tesla has most highways already covered with SC Network, they are continue to have distinct advantage over a newcomer which still has to start setting those things up. [ yeah Electrify America is happening, but I dont see AE's superchargers much ]

I contacted my local Porsche dealer in an attempt to put a deposit down on the car and it was an eye opening experience. First they shuffled me around between 4 different people before one could even answer basic questions. The guy I finally got who knew anything about it said that they would be getting first deliveries in May 2019. Considering everything else says deliveries won't start till late 2019, either he knows something the rest of the internet doesn't, or he just doesn't have a clue.

He also said they have 11 deposits already, which he seemed to think was a lot, but only works out to a paltry 2k deposits nationwide. almost everyone I talked to at the dealer was still calling it the Mission E, not the Taycan. I'm not sure if this is because they think the Taycan is a stupid name, or if they just haven't heard that that is the official name yet.

Either way I opted not to put down a deposit, with such low demand I imagine if I want one and am willing to deal with going back to a regular awful dealer after enjoying the Tesla sales experience it won't be a long wait anyway.