Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes, it is great that he is doing all these videos showing the wrecks he finds and technical commentary about his observations and repair efforts.
I just wish the first Taycan he got to "review" wasn't such a mess.
The "Which do you prefer? This wrecked Model S or this wrecked Taycan?" Would have been nice to see 2 pristine examples side by side instead.

Also, for what it is worth, the original Tesla Roadster had a lot of tubing & wiring running along the "outside" of the chassis too...
wr-rr.jpg

Yes, it is great that he is doing all these videos showing the wrecks he finds and technical commentary about his observations and repair efforts.
The "Which do you prefer? This wrecked Model S or this wrecked Taycan?" Would have been nice to see 2 pristine examples side by side instead.

Also, for what it is worth, the original Tesla Roadster had a lot of tubing & wiring running along the "outside" of the chassis too...
View attachment 546754
Well he did say the car seemed super track focused. Maybe side impacts aren't that common on tracks. I wonder if he will do a follow up video about the appraisal. Assuming the battery box is fine was there really over 50k worth of damage done to that vehicle?

Well there are a lot of reviews of shiny Taycans in pristine condition around the web - if that is what you want. It is interesting to me to see a wrecked car - where you can see what broke, some construction details that are normally hidden, and so on. Occasionally a car I'm interested in shows up at one of the local Pick N Pulls, and I do the same. Plus the banter between Rich and his friends is kind of fun.

Reactions: SmartElectric
I just got back from driving the Taycan Turbo S at the Porsche Experience Center in Los Angeles.

OK, there is no denying it, I'm still grinning. That car is a riot. :D
Ergo is good, acceleration is good, handling is good, and it's fun.

I was chasing a 911 Turbo driven by one of the staff around their track, and the Taycan held on surprisingly well.
For a "Fat Girl" she can sure dance.:eek: Even on the AutoX track, she moves like a sports coupe. IMO the tight course handling is better than both the I-Pace and Model 3 Performance. Some of it is due to the All Wheel Steering though. It slaloms like a freakin' Miata. However the weight and AWD make it want to understeer in low traction situations.

Would I buy one? Hmmm... No. I'm really waiting on the next gen of electric two doors sports cars. But it's very fun to drive.

Full Disclosure: Two things occurred during the 20 minutes of lapping. The brake pedal started to get very close to the floor near the end. And the dash spewed a Performance Traction Management (PSM on Porsche) error. I would not be surprised if I hosed a set of pads. You could smell the brakes strongly even after 5 min of cool down laps.

I just got back from driving the Taycan Turbo S at the Porsche Experience Center in Los Angeles.

OK, there is no denying it, I'm still grinning. That car is a riot. :D
Ergo is good, acceleration is good, handling is good, and it's fun.

I was chasing a 911 Turbo driven by one of the staff around their track, and the Taycan held on surprisingly well.
For a "Fat Girl" she can sure dance.:eek: Even on the AutoX track, she moves like a sports coupe. IMO the tight course handling is better than both the I-Pace and Model 3 Performance. Some of it is due to the All Wheel Steering though. It slaloms like a freakin' Miata. However the weight and AWD make it want to understeer in low traction situations.

Would I buy one? Hmmm... No. I'm really waiting on the next gen of electric two doors sports cars. But it's very fun to drive.

Full Disclosure: Two things occurred during the 20 minutes of lapping. The brake pedal started to get very close to the floor near the end. And the dash spewed a Performance Traction Management (PSM on Porsche) error. I would not be surprised if I hosed a set of pads. You could smell the brakes strongly even after 5 min of cool down laps.
Thank you for the report.

I’m jealous. I haven’t tracked one, but I did have an extended test. I found it to be superior to any EV I’ve driven, particularly appealing given it’s still functional enough to be my sporty daily driver.

Your “pass” is reflective of my dilemma on the Taycan Turbo S. It’s strength is “fun”, and it is the most fun EV right now. But for that price it’s still too close in “fun” to considerably cheaper options that also have more function. I’ll soon be able to get more fun imo (Roadster).

Of course, if money isn’t an issue and one is completely detached from value, it’s a great car for going out and about, while not just being the special occasion car. I guess I left my Taycan test drive hoping Tesla would offer a premium version of the M3P with the current S drivetrain (once the new plaid S is out). Add the S hatchback and IC, and that’s a unicorn.

I’m surprised you even had the I-Pace in this conversation. Was my test drive an outlier? I felt the MY and MS had better handling, maybe even the E-Tron. I was quite disappointed, as I had heard good things.

Reactions: Cosmacelf
Minor correction: I was chasing a 911 Turbo S (640HP) after looking at the still pictures.

@BlindPass, I cut some pretty solid lap times AutoX'g the I-Pace even though it was on All Season tires. It's deceptively fast in the corners. The Taycan and M3P smoke in the straight, but in the corners it holds it's own on sh1t rubber. Granted I was running it in the rain, but it took 4 laps before any of other cars matched my time. And it was the first time I'd driven one in anger, which was not true for the Miatas, FRS's, and V8 coupes.

• Informative
Reactions: BlindPass
Minor correction: I was chasing a 911 Turbo S (640HP) after looking at the still pictures.

@BlindPass, I cut some pretty solid lap times AutoX'g the I-Pace even though it was on All Season tires. It's deceptively fast in the corners. The Taycan and M3P smoke in the straight, but in the corners it holds it's own on sh1t rubber. Granted I was running it in the rain, but it took 4 laps before any of other cars matched my time. And it was the first time I'd driven one in anger, which was not true for the Miatas, FRS's, and V8 coupes.
Interesting, I’ll have to give it another look. I only had a couple hours with it on city streets. I would admit I’m going more on feel than actual ability to post times. Body roll and shifting of weight was notably more than I expected, given I’d watched and read favorable reviews. More of an SUV feel, whereas MY is basically a car.

I do like the looks, and clearly quicker than the E-Tron. Both of the European offerings are substantially better equipped than my MS. I very much hope any S refresh includes a similar cabin.

Interesting, I’ll have to give it another look. I only had a couple hours with it on city streets. I would admit I’m going more on feel than actual ability to post times. Body roll and shifting of weight was notably more than I expected, given I’d watched and read favorable reviews. More of an SUV feel, whereas MY is basically a car.

I do like the looks, and clearly quicker than the E-Tron. Both of the European offerings are substantially better equipped than my MS. I very much hope any S refresh includes a similar cabin.

You might not have had the car configured right. Get it low and in Dynamic mode, then turn OFF all the baby-sitters.

Reactions: BlindPass
Good news from Electrek... Goodbye ICE, hello EV!
Taycan electric car is already Porsche's best-selling model, destroys Panamera sales - Electrek

The Taycan electric car has already become Porsche’s best-selling car in Europe, destroying the sales of the Panamera, its closest gas-powered competitor. In terms of specs and design, the Porsche hit the mark with the Taycan, but the high price has raised questions about the vehicle’s potential success.

Porsche only started delivering the Taycan less than a year ago, and after ramping up production, the sales volumes are starting to be significant for a $100,000 performance vehicle. In North America, sales are a bit slower, but in Europe, the Taycan is starting to do well.
Last month, the Taycan became Porsche’s best-selling vehicle in Europe, outselling the Porsche 911 with 1,183 units:

EihQCKOWoAEoM0t

Interesting news from Porsche. What is the high speed charging infrastructure like in Europe?

One thing that could prevent me from buying a non-Tesla EV is high speed charging. I don't do much long distance travel but Tesla now has very good coverage in southern Ontario with Superchargers, but non-Tesla charging is slower and much harder to find.

Interesting news from Porsche. What is the high speed charging infrastructure like in Europe?

One thing that could prevent me from buying a non-Tesla EV is high speed charging. I don't do much long distance travel but Tesla now has very good coverage in southern Ontario with Superchargers, but non-Tesla charging is slower and much harder to find.
How long do you plan to own the car? I can’t speak to your area, but I wouldn’t have any problem utilizing a taycan like I do our M3P. Better range performance than expected. In a couple years I anticipate it to be further marginalized.

I’m interested in a EV Macan.

This almost seems impossible or totally wrong.. the panamera was the best selling Porsche ever, till the cayenne and then Macan came along.. I’m surprised it would fall from demand so quickly.. could it be a rogue model year, product model change over?
Yes. This is highly misleading. The Panamera (2021 MY) just got a mid-cycle facelift in late August, that's why the sales of the old model dropped. Expect Panamera sales to be significantly higher in the next few months. Still impressive numbers for the Taycan.