Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sorry to say but if that's the case, they have made a grave error. No Tesla customer is going to buy a jag (when I say no, I mean very few). .
Well, how did tesla get customers? By your rationale everyone is brand loyal and never leaves. Silly.
Don't forget where the tesla customers came from. Many were audi/bm/mb/jag etc customers.

Not everyone is a lifelong brand devoted fanboy. Tesla did produce a great vehicle in the model S. Not many people will pledge their undying love and loyalty to them forever.

Further, you seem to forget that those big companies sell 6 million cars a year. Soon all of those will be electric as the ice is being banned in many markets.

Keep telling yourself it won't happen. It's hilarious

I really like what I have seen so far with the Mission E and had heard that the dealers are taking pre-orders. After getting nowhere with this rumor, I called Porsche corporate and asked if there is a pre-order system. There isn't. But if they start taking orders this year before we sell our Tesla, they'll have at least one from a current Tesla order (me).

I love my MS P100D, but if Porsche, Mercedes, Land Rover and/or BMW come out with an all electric SUV around 2020 with performance similar to the MX P100D, and a reliable charging network was available, I would certainly consider buying one. Tesla just can't compete yet on build quality and amenities, and I don't see them putting much effort into improving that in the next 5 years or so.

I love my MS P100D, but if Porsche, Mercedes, Land Rover and/or BMW come out with an all electric SUV around 2020 with performance similar to the MX P100D, and a reliable charging network was available, I would certainly consider buying one. Tesla just can't compete yet on build quality and amenities, and I don't see them putting much effort into improving that in the next 5 years or so.

:(

The charging network isn't really going to happen so, I'm confident you'll stay in the Tesla family. :)

Reactions: bhzmark and Hank42
Well, how did tesla get customers? By your rationale everyone is brand loyal and never leaves. Silly.
Don't forget where the tesla customers came from. Many were audi/bm/mb/jag etc customers.

Not everyone is a lifelong brand devoted fanboy. Tesla did produce a great vehicle in the model S. Not many people will pledge their undying love and loyalty to them forever.

Further, you seem to forget that those big companies sell 6 million cars a year. Soon all of those will be electric as the ice is being banned in many markets.

They bought the S originally because it was a better car and still is better then the jag. Loyalist are the only ones that will buy an infinitely inferior car. Agnostics will buy the better car with the large established charging network, more range and more total vehicle, be it S/X or a model 3. If the model Y was already out, no one but hardcore jag owners would buy the jag over what will be a vastly superior vehicle.

Yes those car companies sell a lot of profitable icev. Millions in fact. What happens when they try to sell just 2 million EVs each? First off, they can't because they would each need a 50GWh gigafactory which don't happen to grow on trees. So they just need to build 10 of those at a cost of $10B each and 5 years. And what will they get in return? Well let's see.. they will sell 2 million less profitable icev each and displace that with 2 million loss generating EVs. So how much market share will they take from Tesla the that sells 100k cars per year, basically every can they can build? They answer is that they will have little impact on Tesla because Tesla will always be taking market share and will always be ahead of the game in terms of tech and battery factories because Tesla is the only one actually securing a supply of batteries at the best possible price. Everyone else is going to be bidding up costs from battery suppliers that don't even have capacity today for 2 million cars much less 2 million from each manufacture.

Don't get it twisted.. Jag is only making 20k of these vehicles per year and will sell every single one. Just not to Tesla owners. Jag itself will be hurt the most followed by other European autos because they have the most to lose in this segment. Tesla doesn't even sell a cuv yet. I also expect jag to take a big hit on ipace sales when model y reservations open up. It should be easy to see as they cut production if they don't have to cut it for lack of batteries.

Again, Jag is better off long term by doing this now but they are 5 years behind Tesla and so is everyone else. Just use your imagination to picture the model 3 with it's 340+ mile range dual motor in the form of a cuv and ask yourself if people will still want the 240 mile Jag at 30% higher price. Even when you factor in that Tesla will be phased out of tax credits by mid 2019, as will GM and Nissan and possibly Toyota not to far behind them.

Edit: lol. I tough this was an ipace thread. Same applies to mission E. Basically a good car but over priced for what you get. It will be an $80,000+ car the size of a model 3 with a 240 mile EPA range and no charging network for years. Low volume as well. Mostly compliance car level. There biggest consumers will be Porsche customers in Germany that would have bought a profitable Porsche and now are buying a loss leader Porsche EV.

Last edited:

What do you expect the 2020 model X to look like in terms of specs and charging network? 2170 cells for more range. PM motors for more efficiency. More plush interior to differentiate it more from model 3 and y. Remember that Daimler doesn't make most of that interior parts, they are from OEMs and Tesla can order up the stuff. The steering wheel and stalks in the S/X are the same as many Daimler cars.

They bought the S originally because it was a better car and still is better then the jag. Loyalist are the only ones that will buy an infinitely inferior car. Agnostics will buy the better car with the large established charging network, more range and more total vehicle, be it S/X or a model 3. If the model Y was already out, no one but hardcore jag owners would buy the jag over what will be a vastly superior vehicle.

Yes those car companies sell a lot of profitable icev. Millions in fact. What happens when they try to sell just 2 million EVs each? First off, they can't because they would each need a 50GWh gigafactory which don't happen to grow on trees. So they just need to build 10 of those at a cost of $10B each and 5 years. And what will they get in return? Well let's see.. they will sell 2 million less profitable icev each and displace that with 2 million loss generating EVs. So how much market share will they take from Tesla the that sells 100k cars per year, basically every can they can build? They answer is that they will have little impact on Tesla because Tesla will always be taking market share and will always be ahead of the game in terms of tech and battery factories because Tesla is the only one actually securing a supply of batteries at the best possible price. Everyone else is going to be bidding up costs from battery suppliers that don't even have capacity today for 2 million cars much less 2 million from each manufacture.

Don't get it twisted.. Jag is only making 20k of these vehicles per year and will sell every single one. Just not to Tesla owners. Jag itself will be hurt the most followed by other European autos because they have the most to lose in this segment. Tesla doesn't even sell a cuv yet. I also expect jag to take a big hit on ipace sales when model y reservations open up. It should be easy to see as they cut production if they don't have to cut it for lack of batteries.

Again, Jag is better off long term by doing this now but they are 5 years behind Tesla and so is everyone else. Just use your imagination to picture the model 3 with it's 340+ mile range dual motor in the form of a cuv and ask yourself if people will still want the 240 mile Jag at 30% higher price. Even when you factor in that Tesla will be phased out of tax credits by mid 2019, as will GM and Nissan and possibly Toyota not to far behind them.

Edit: lol. I tough this was an ipace thread. Same applies to mission E. Basically a good car but over priced for what you get. It will be an $80,000+ car the size of a model 3 with a 240 mile EPA range and no charging network for years. Low volume as well. Mostly compliance car level. There biggest consumers will be Porsche customers in Germany that would have bought a profitable Porsche and now are buying a loss leader Porsche EV.

I'd rather have a Mission E than the 60k current configuration of the M3
The Mission E will be an overall superior vehicle
If the M3 was readily avail at 35k that's a different story

Reactions: alloverx
I'd rather have a Mission E than the 60k current configuration of the M3
The Mission E will be an overall superior vehicle
If the M3 was readily avail at 35k that's a different story

I am sorry, my original post was mistakening pointed at Ipace, but much of the same applies. Just replace Ipace with Mission E and Jag gets replaced with Porsche.

Who wouldnt. I want a mission E at $60k. I would be down at the dealership tomorrow to trade in my S. BUUTTT.. that's not happening. No one knows the price yet, but its going to be north of $90k for a comparably configured model S.

That’s not what he said. All people who buy Jag EVs are loyalists to Jag, doesn’t mean that all Jag buyers are loyalists. Basic logic confusion.

Loyalist are the only ones that will buy an infinitely inferior car. Agnostics will buy the better car

Exactly.

My thought exactly.

looks cool to me....i hope it gives tesla a run for its money. They know the only neg for them is charging network.They arent stupid. I am sure they will sell out to rich people who will just plug in at home every night and not care about going on trips because even at that level its a cool car to own. For many a charging network is a moot point and even more moot if the car can go 300-400 miles on a full charge.
I would bet the interior will surpass the m-S in every way.