Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Driving on the track for most of us is about fun, not competition. As such, 'better's is subjective. I had substantial experience with both 911 and Cayman and as such, I'd say 911 is more exciting(i.e. scary), while Cayman gives you more optionality in how to drive it. As one develops as a driver, 911 at first seems more challenging, which would also make it more fun, which is also what I've seen expereinced journalists talk about. BUt, as an owner, with plenty of seat time, there comes the time, where 911 doesn't feel challenging anymore, but limiting. I.e. you need to drive it on the rear axle, and manage it carefully to be safe, and Cayman gives you more options to play with.

But again, better is very subjective to what do you want out of the car, and where on driver development journey you are. For people that find 911 mass distribution challenges ridiculous, rather than charming, Cayman will always be better choice. For those that think 911 is charming, it's a valid point, and only if they spend exorbitant amount of time on the track, there may be a time when once you understand it well, and it becomes limiting and not charming...

I've got about 10 years with PCA, black for majority of that time.
For anything other than the track, I love my Tesla...

I like the throttle response and the instant torque of a Tesla. Sound of a Flat 6 NA engine, and the steering and Handling of Porsche. Hoping for a car that can combine all of them.

Probably a Hybrid 911 with an NA engine and an electric motor might be the holy grail. Currently there is no affordable Hybrid sports car with an NA engine.

I like the throttle response and the instant torque of a Tesla. Sound of a Flat 6 NA engine, and the steering and Handling of Porsche. Hoping for a car that can combine all of them.

Porsche makes turbo EV and your Tesla has throttle response. You two are indeed made for each other. :rolleyes:

Probably a Hybrid 911 with an NA engine and an electric motor might be the holy grail. Currently there is no affordable Hybrid sports car with an NA engine.

No need for that. Just pipe some engine noise through speakers if you want that(I don't though).

Last edited:
Reactions: jgs
More information from Electrek... https://electrek.co/2019/01/21/porsche-taycan-production-40000-electric-cars/

Porsche is reportedly doubling the planned production capacity for the Taycan, its first all-electric vehicle, to a massive 40,000 units per year, according to a German report. Previously, Porsche was reportedly planning to produce about 20,000 Taycan vehicles per year.

It doesn’t sound like much, but it was an important volume for a vehicle program at the German premium automaker. We previously reported on Porsche considering to increase the planned capacity of Taycan production, but they have now apparently made the decision to double it.

Reactions: R.S and gowthamn
I finally did a test drive of a Model 3 Performance. It has definitely changed my mind about EVs.
I really like the throttle response. The shocks are stiffer than a model S which I like. The lack of sound did not bother me as much as I thought it would.

But, the steering is dead. Absolutely no weight and no feedback. And the tire width is a bit too small. Hope this improves in the future and with the Roadster.

Reactions: FlatSix911
I finally did a test drive of a Model 3 Performance. It has definitely changed my mind about EVs.
I really like the throttle response. The shocks are stiffer than a model S which I like. The lack of sound did not bother me as much as I thought it would.

But, the steering is dead. Absolutely no weight and no feedback. And the tire width is a bit too small. Hope this improves in the future and with the Roadster.

There are three settings for steering weight. Did you have it set to "Sport"?

Agreed, at least from my experience on my model S.
(BTW, you're right, it's hard to get steering feel right, I don't even like GT4 steering feel after driving my 996 Turbo or 964)

But my experience is that you learn to work and like what you have and forget about what you don't have.

Tesla with that torque, immediacy and low centre of mass offers fantastic experience unlike Porsche, that you will learn to truly enjoy.
Same for Porsche - steering makes you trust it from the first moment, roaring engine makes for adrenaline rush, turbo traction out of corner feels like taking off...

In short, I wouldn't focus on negatives, but positives - M3P brings enough to the table to be distinct and truly enjoyable experience, if it fits in the current 'car portfolio' for you.

• Love
Reactions: CarlK
Yes, too light. And the road feel is absent. Smaller tires could be part of the reason.

Not sure how light is "too light" for you. I experimented with my Model S setting and the "sports" mode gave me almost exactly the same steering weight as the Cayman S I owned at the same time. Road feel is actually exellent and body lean minimal for a sedan this heavy. I do have a P85+ (upgraded suspension and summer tires) though. Either way I finally ditched the Cayman S after, like @Zhelko said, learned how to get the most of the Tesla.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: FlatSix911
Think about it I've never driven the Model 3 but pretty much every auto reviewers says it's like on rails. That seems to me the highest honor you could offer to handling of a car. And there was not even one said anything about the steering weight is too light or road feel is absent. Kind of makes me wonder if you will be happy with anything.

Reactions: jgs
Think about it I've never driven the Model 3 but pretty much every auto reviewers says it's like on rails. That seems to me the highest honor you could offer to handling of a car. And there was not even one said anything about the steering weight is too light or road feel is absent. Kind of makes me wonder if you will be happy with anything.

Auto reviewers usually don't compare the Model 3 to track oriented cars. They compare it with Audi, BMW etc. And the Model 3 is good compared to them. But not with Porsche with respect to steering. But for throttle response, yes the Model 3 is good because its an EV.

Auto reviewers usually don't compare the Model 3 to track oriented cars. They compare it with Audi, BMW etc. And the Model 3 is good compared to them. But not with Porsche with respect to steering. But for throttle response, yes the Model 3 is good because its an EV.

I thought we are talking about good street car that can also perform well on tracks. If you're thinking "track oriented" car your 718 Boxster GTS does not qualify for that either. That said Motor Trend did test a M3P equipped with latest track mode firmware and achieved about the same time record as the Cayman GT4, a track oriented car, they tested earlier. Sorry for having to say that but I have to think a lot of your opinions are imagined but not real.

Many Tesla owners come to find that they're actually happier without their driving accompanied by the sound of rapid-fire petrochemical explosions. The very idea that transportation would be achieved as a side effect of such explosions starts to seem a bit absurd.

Very true. People who have never driven a fast EV like Tesla probably could not understand this but you will realize after a while seat of pant feeling is much more important than the engine roar. The former is real and the later can sound annoying like the engine is struggling when it does not match how fast the car actually accelerates. Again you will never know that until you have driven a Tesla. And you will never want that noise again after that.

Last edited:
Not sure how light is "too light" for you. I experimented with my Model S setting and the "sports" mode gave me almost exactly the same steering weight as the Cayman S I owned at the same time. Road feel is actually exellent and body lean minimal for a sedan this heavy. I do have a P85+ (upgraded suspension and summer tires) though. Either way I finally ditched the Cayman S after, like @Zhelko said, learned how to get the most of the Tesla.

Sport steering setting does make a difference, even in my S 90D with the original Goodyear tires. The Michelins on it now are a bit grippier than the originals. I'm no expert on sports cars, but my SO drove a number in her youth and she likes sports mode steering.

I thought we are talking about good street car that can also perform well on tracks. If you're thinking "track oriented" car your 718 Boxster GTS does not qualify for that either. That said Motor Trend did test a M3P equipped with latest track mode firmware and achieved about the same time record as the Cayman GT4, a track oriented car, they tested earlier. Sorry for having to say that but I have to think a lot of your opinions are imagined but not real.

Steering feel is personal. There is no technical way to measure it. I do not like tesla's steering. The GT4 is a manual. If it was automatic Model 3 would not be able to come close to it.
Yes Boxster is not track oriented. But it has better lap times than a model 3. Also, the model 3 was not tested in difficult tracks yet. We do not know its performance. Lets see its numbers in
Nürburgring

Last edited:
Steering feel is personal. There is no technical way to measure it. I do not like tesla's steering. The GT4 is a manual. If it was automatic Model 3 would not be able to come close to it.
Yes Boxster is not track oriented. But it has better lap times than a model 3. Also, the model 3 was not tested in difficult tracks yet. We do not know its performance. Lets see its numbers in
Nürburgring

A personal thing for sure. A lot of people like the standard or even comfort setting than the sport setting. Although your descriptions of steering too light and absent of road feel are more than personal perferences but in the territory of deliberate disparagement. And M3P did perform better than regular Cayman/Boxter on whatever tracks they had run. As for Nürburgring no one knows either way so it's pointless to throw that out every time. How many times you had ran or plan to run on that track?

Porsche shares more details about all-electric Taycan production version

Q&A session with Stefan Weckbach, Porsche’s head of electric vehicle programs.. not much new information, but he said ~90 kWh battery pack and 500 km of NEDC range. That translates to around 225 miles of EPA range.

Pretty much the same as the Audi e-tron spec which is of no surprise. Pretty bad efficiency compares to Tesla's.

Last edited:
Reactions: jgs and bhzmark