Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Installing a high power charger (supercharger power or greater) is not cheap. Most dealerships who do will be forced to install a new transformer and upgrade their electrical service. For Tesla, they already have a big fleet on the road and with charging for supercharging now, the installation costs will be paid off within a year or two at many locations.

Chargers located only at dealers, which are out of the way and even if Porsche corporate reimburses dealers per use, the chargers are going to sit unused most of the time and as the fleet on the road grows, dealers are going to be reluctant to sink more money into expanding. I don't see this going well.

I think it was in this thread I mentioned Tesla has an opportunity here to make a supercharger adapter they can sell as an aftermarket accessory. The adapter can be registered with Tesla like you have your cell phone registered with your provider and they charge the account per use of the adapter.

I have heard conflicting information about whether the CCS spec allows adapters or not. I saw someone on this forum say the spec prohibits adapters, but I've also seen somewhere else that it doesn't. I haven't taken the time to explore that in any depth. If it is permitted Tesla has an opportunity to make some money off other EV drivers and over the long term they stand a chance of pushing CCS and CHadEMO out of the market. If other EV drivers find they prefer Tesla chargers because they are more convenient, more reliable, and cheaper, they will demand them and car makers will start having to build Tesla supercharging capability into their cars or suffer sales losses from people opting for the car with the better charger.

Eventually the world is going to need to merge fast charging standards. Tesla branded chargers have a lot of advantages. Most of the other brands are franchises and quality can vary all over the map. You also have to sign up for these different networks and each one works differently. Tesla's model is the easiest to use. Even a friend who doesn't know much about EVs can take your car and learn how to find superchargers and how they work in a couple of minutes explanation. (There is a video out there of a woman trying to put gas in a Tesla, but whenever you try to make something foolproof the universe creates a better fool.)

Tesla could force the merge with a bottom up approach with an aftermarket adapter and a mechanism that makes charging other cars just as easy. Instead of the charger information available in the car, they might have to have everything work through the phone app, but it is technically feasible.

• Informative
Reactions: FlatSix911
A 75k Performance Model 3 hits the GT 0-60, will do this all day long, and has track mode. Porsche is a newcomer to the EV market and the Taycan's specs show this quite well with inferior specs and double the price.

For daily driving, the performance 3 isn't going to let you down in terms of handling or comfort. If you're ever in Portland, I can let you prove it to you.
Are you offering me a drive in your P3? That may be worth the trip.

Reactions: walla2
Great write up of the P3D with track mode beating everything on the list but the GTR and a Ferrari 488 GTB on the track.

Tesla Model 3 Performance takes on supercars, high-performance sedans in track battle

From stoplight to stoplight, no contest from any of these cars for the P3D. When winding roads come up, it handles betterthan almost every gas car except for some very expensive supercars. Porsche fans should try one out and be open minded as to what Tesla has done.

Great write up of the P3D with track mode beating everything on the list but the GTR and a Ferrari 488 GTB on the track.

Tesla Model 3 Performance takes on supercars, high-performance sedans in track battle

From stoplight to stoplight, no contest from any of these cars for the P3D. When winding roads come up, it handles betterthan almost every gas car except for some very expensive supercars. Porsche fans should try one out and be open minded as to what Tesla has done.

Model 3 did better than M3 and C63, which is good. But they did not compare it with intermediate cars. They directly went to GTR and Ferrari. Hope to see more comparisons with cars in between M3 and Ferrari.

Also would like to see comparisons in well known tracks like Nurburgring.

For me performance numbers makes about 30 to 40% of the reason to buy a car. Other reasons I consider are Max G Force, sound, looks, steering feel and stability, character etc.

I would like to see EVs from Porsche and others before I make my decision on what to buy.

Last edited:
I test drove the S P100D ludicrous today. I’m not sure I’d pay for ludicrous because it was....ludicrous. It was crazy when it took off Ike physically uncomfortable. So yeah I could be lying because, if I were getting an X orS, would definitely get ludicrous mode.

The P3 demo had just been sold and they’ll have another one this week so I’d like to try it. The representative said there are 50 performance model 3’s at the warehouse in Red Hook Brooklyn and they could deliver one in 5 minutes if I wanted it. I looked today at the supercharger network and couldn’t believe how far Tesla has progressed on that front. I set the navigation from my condo in Manhattan to my house in Florida and it told e every location I’d have to charge and how much charge would be remaining when I arrived. It also provided how long I would have to charge and what amenities were available at the locations. Impressive

Last edited:
Offering charging at dealerships is the worst idea ever. Don't know why manufacturers keep doing it - probably just easier than trying to secure space elsewhere. Dealerships are chronically short of parking space, this doesn't make it any easier, and yeah, they aren't in the correct locations at all. Typically, no food nearby, etc.

I guess it’s mostly because of the “free” property. The electrify America chargers will be built on neutral property, but since dealers already need chargers to sell their own cars, they might as well open the free ones to customers.

And don’t forget, if there is nothing else to do, you might spend your time looking at the cool new cars. That might not be too relevant in the next few years, when the people charging still have new EVs, but a couple years down the road people with older cars will be able to look at the next generation of their car, while they are waiting for a charge.

Album

CYTw86g.jpg

Porsches new electric car spotted in Norway, they were not happy about the photo : cars

It's a rigged test because a Gen 5 Viper (not in production) and even a Gen 7 Z06 will blow it away on the track. Both are within the Tesla price range. That test is designed to give it more credit than it deserves. But it is definitely fantastic in a straight line. And remember that one lap tests do not make a supercar.

I have to say I am disappointed with how the Taycan is shaping up. Design wise the car is looking more like a Panamera than the Mission E prototype. It’s not that I think the Panamera looks bad, it’s just nowhere near as sexy as the prototype. And secondly they just announced the pricepoint of the base model is starting at $92K. That’s a far cry from the rumoured $75K. Which leads to my next point—range. $92K for an EV with an estimated EPA range of 250 miles or less is underwhelming to say the least. I know for the Porsche/sports car enthusiasts it won’t matter that much, but if Porsche wants it’s EV to go mainstream they have to deliver on range. Range anxiety is still one of the biggest obstacles in converting most ICE owners to EV. I feel like 300 miles will be the new magic number for EVs moving forward the next few years.

I have to say I am disappointed with how the Taycan is shaping up. Design wise the car is looking more like a Panamera than the Mission E prototype. It’s not that I think the Panamera looks bad, it’s just nowhere near as sexy as the prototype. And secondly they just announced the pricepoint of the base model is starting at $92K. That’s a far cry from the rumoured $75K. Which leads to my next point—range. $92K for an EV with an estimated EPA range of 250 miles or less is underwhelming to say the least. I know for the Porsche/sports car enthusiasts it won’t matter that much, but if Porsche wants it’s EV to go mainstream they have to deliver on range. Range anxiety is still one of the biggest obstacles in converting most ICE owners to EV. I feel like 300 miles will be the new magic number for EVs moving forward the next few years.

With the price re-org/drop of the S, the 92k base price really starts to become an issue. Combined with V3 superchargers being revealed and the possibility that the S/X refresh before the Taycan actually starts to ship(longer range, updated exterior/interior), the Taycan could do very poorly after the initial sales to Porsche enthusiasts tapers off.

Reactions: jgs
With the price re-org/drop of the S, the 92k base price really starts to become an issue. Combined with V3 superchargers being revealed and the possibility that the S/X refresh before the Taycan actually starts to ship(longer range, updated exterior/interior), the Taycan could do very poorly after the initial sales to Porsche enthusiasts tapers off.
It’s worth noting that unless Congress changes things, the Taycan will benefit from a $7500 tax credit whereas Tesla will be down to nil. So the base prices are closer than they look at first glance. Then again, Porsche is famous for nickel and diming the hell out of their customers (“oh! Did you want a steering wheel with that?”) so that pushes the Porsche back into the “more expensive” column again.
It’s not that I think the Panamera looks bad
I do!

I thought the Mission E looked pretty damn good. I think the Taycan is at best a yawn and at worst a pig (IMHO of course) like the Panamera.

It’s worth noting that unless Congress changes things, the Taycan will benefit from a $7500 tax credit whereas Tesla will be down to nil. So the base prices are closer than they look at first glance. Then again, Porsche is famous for nickel and diming the hell out of their customers (“oh! Did you want a steering wheel with that?”) so that pushes the Porsche back into the “more expensive” column again.

I do!

I thought the Mission E looked pretty damn good. I think the Taycan is at best a yawn and at worst a pig (IMHO of course) like the Panamera.
Well to be fair the Mission E was borderline 'supercar' looking so it was probably unrealistic to expect the final production model to turn out like it. But I won't lie, I did put down a deposit in hopes that it might turn out like the Mission E.

I mean if Porsche doesn't knock it out the park with the aesthetics of the Taycan, then it might struggle. I think a good majority of the people who put down deposits (myself included) did so because of how incredible the Mission E prototype looked. Also they kept throwing around the '310 miles of range'. What a lot of people don't realize is that 310 miles is based on NEDC and not EPA. If it ends up being a sub 250 mile car (EPA), people will surely be upset. Some may argue that range is not that important but all I know is when most people (non-EV owners) ask about my electric car, one of the first questions they ask is "How many miles can you drive?"

In the pics I saw, the front face and rear C pillars were obviously disguised with tacked on body panels. I must assume those cover panels are doing some work that simple camouflaged paint cannot accomplish.

If the headlights actually thinner like on the E Mission concept, and the C pillar and rear quarter more like the concept of E-tron GT, it could still be an amazing looking car.

It's a rigged test because a Gen 5 Viper (not in production) and even a Gen 7 Z06 will blow it away on the track. Both are within the Tesla price range. That test is designed to give it more credit than it deserves. But it is definitely fantastic in a straight line. And remember that one lap tests do not make a supercar.

My point is the car handles very well for driving through the twists and turns that you will come across and handle as well as most high end driving cars for your daily needs. Not sure why you thought I called it a supercar.

I agree... the slab sided Taycan is a far cry from the orginal concept and now looks like a bloated Panamera. :cool:

upload_2019-2-7_22-56-51.png

dOSRJuT.jpg