Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I still don't get the comparison between the Taycan and Model S. Other than they are both 4 door sedan EV's that cost 6 figures? Maybe because up until now there hasn't been any EV competitor to the Model S (except for the Model 3 taking the low end)? Years from now this will all look silly - like comparing a 911 to a 3 series coupe.

The standard S is now only 5 figures and the Performance S is barely 6. The performance S is quicker than the Taycan. The Taycan is about the size of the Model 3.

The media has been hyping that the Taycan is the Model S killer, so people make the comparison.

The standard S is now only 5 figures and the Performance S is barely 6. The performance S is quicker than the Taycan. The Taycan is about the size of the Model 3.

The media has been hyping that the Taycan is the Model S killer, so people make the comparison.

I am not sure those metrics necessary should start a comparison. If that's the case, then people would be comparing a Mustang GT to a 911 Carrera S, which we know is not a valid comparison.

I am not sure those metrics necessary should start a comparison. If that's the case, then people would be comparing a Mustang GT to a 911 Carrera S, which we know is not a valid comparison.

At the end of the day the list of production EV performance cars is very short. The Taycan, Model S P, Model X P, and P3D are about it. The Model S has been around the longest and it holds all the records, so by default it's the Taycan's best EV rival.

Are they going to show the car at some point?

RT
Yep... They just did... Nice!

Screenshot_20190904-063534~2.png
Screenshot_20190904-063504~2.png
Screenshot_20190904-063537.png

Last edited:
This pricing makes me wonder if Tesla made a mistake in not updating Model S and keeping the high price or introducing a more expensive higher performance version that fixed some of the performance & battery issues Porsche is emphasizing for differentiation at the 180k price point and made huge profit per vehicle. Did Tesla lower price of Model S because they wanted to reach the most consumers possible (ie speed up transition to sustainable energy) or as an attempt to keep sales afloat for an older model in lieu of updates. I think the Tesla brand is seen as premium/elite as Porsche is to the average consumer. At this pricing the roadster may be the more direct competitor especially if they can give it 4 usable seats. Hopefully Elon has something up his sleeves and we'll get an announcement at the Truck event, Model S should be the best vehicle in its class in all categories.

Last edited:
Reactions: GeoX750 and sdoorex
It makes sense for Porsche to offer only the high-end versions for now. They'll probably sell all they can build in the first year or two.

Curious to see where Audi will position the E-tron GT (built on the same platform).

Also curious to see the Taycan's charging curve. Apparently it charges from 5-80% in about 20 minutes, with 270kW peak power on an 800V charger.

Reactions: sdoorex and VQTRVA