Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm sure current race drivers assume one-pedal driving is bad for racing - it's unfamiliar to them. But imagine you forget all you've learned, or learn to race from scratch with lift-off regen. You can go from braking to acceleration and back again more quickly than having to change pedals. And guess what - you have another foot that can operate the brake at the same time! I think EV racers will soon learn they are quicker when they brake with their left foot, and new racers will adopt this before old timers. Similar to how manual transmission drivers taught themselves to work 3 pedals simultaneously with 2 feet, EV racers will teach themselves how to work the brake and accelerator in a way that maximizes lap times.

I'm sure current race drivers assume one-pedal driving is bad for racing - it's unfamiliar to them. But imagine you forget all you've learned, or learn to race from scratch with lift-off regen. You can go from braking to acceleration and back again more quickly than having to change pedals. And guess what - you have another foot that can operate the brake at the same time! I think EV racers will soon learn they are quicker when they brake with their left foot, and new racers will adopt this before old timers. Similar to how manual transmission drivers taught themselves to work 3 pedals simultaneously with 2 feet, EV racers will teach themselves how to work the brake and accelerator in a way that maximizes lap times.

I agree people will get used to it, but one of the reasons for Porsche's setup is to balance the car during certain maneuver sequences on the track. On certain tracks when there are rapid heavy accelerations and decelerations, the ability to shift the weight balance back to all four wheels can help settle the car before transitioning into corners. This is not as big of an issue in a go-kart or a typical open wheel cars, but on a street car with relatively soft suspensions, weight transfer from accelerating and braking can disrupt the balance of the car significantly and affect the cornering performance.

Funny cross-post from another thread... :cool:

It would have been fun to photoshop off the badges and put Tesla badges on that and show it to people who didn't know about the Taycan and see what their reaction is.

@Dithermaster
Just rename it, you could call it the Tesla Model $ SRS ($= Expensive, SR = Short Range, S= Slow charging & slow moving).

I'm just glad there is a competitor in the BEV segment that Tesla still beats....

Reactions: Xenoilphobe and jgs
Porsche has never wanted to be or even pretended to be relevant to the average consumer. Engineering wise Porsche is by far the superior product. What Tesla has over everyone else is computer technology. You want your car to be a driverless taxi you buy a Tesla, you want your car to challenge you and thrill you around every twist and turn you buy a Porsche.
no tesla has the charging network..if porsche did i would buy a mission e before the tesla hands down.

It's not a sports car. That applies to both the Panamera and the Taycan. They're expensive four-door sedans with dubious sporting pretensions. If you actually want something for running hot laps on the track, or canyon carving, or autocross, etc., then you wouldn't choose any of those — or any current production Tesla, either. (Well, I should say. . . If any of you do drive a 3 through the canyons, I'm sure you can have some fun with that. I would be happy to do that. But an actual sports car would still arguably be better.)

The difference is that with a Model S you get lots more storage space, more range and a much better charging network than the Taycan. Oh, and the price difference. Wouldn't want to forget that.

The Model S seems (to me) very confident in being what it is: an American style luxury-muscle car, the kind that other American car companies (I'm looking at you, Cadillac!) used to build before they decided to chase the Europeans instead of doing their own thing. That the S handles well "for its size" is gravy, delicious gravy, but it doesn't pretend to be a sports car.

Meanwhile, for the price of the Taycan "Turbo" (haha!) you could get a Tesla for daily and a clean Corvette for track day.
model s looks a bit like a maseratii sedan.

Reactions: jgs
Here's another data point that I stumbled across…

Why the Porsche Taycan electric car won't have one-pedal driving
Yeah, many of the people commenting there just don't get it (but are convinced they do).
What surprised me is all the people chiming in the comments saying that, yes, what Porsche are doing sounds fine to them. It sounds like a deal-breaker to me. I've been driving my Roadster for almost four years now, and the way Tesla set up regen works incredibly well. I like having all the motor control (including regen) on one pedal, and brake control on the other. It's very natural, gives me perfect control, and I've never felt any desire for any adjustment settings or alternate modes. Now Porsche comes along and says that's all wrong? That's pretty tough for me to swallow.
Same, although the proof of the pudding is in the driving and it's possible Porsche might not be complete idiots. I think the question is whether the reason for the choice is that they're terrified to make it drive like anything other than one of their gasmobiles for fear of freaking out old-time Porsche customers, or if they've fully embraced the characteristics of the EV platform and are making choices they think are objectively best for driving, period.

One thing that occurs to me is that my Model S gives me at most 60 kW of deceleration when I lift off. The Taycan says it can give me 265 kW. That is a lot more. The accelerator pedal only has a certain amount of play in it -- I don't know how much, let's just say 5 cm for the sake of discussion, and let's say the brake pedal also has 5 cm of play. If you put all the regen on the accelerator pedal, you have 5 cm worth of input to signal the car how much of that 265 kW of deceleration, plus the however many kW of acceleration, you want it to deploy. If you put the regen on the brake pedal, you get 5 cm of control input for regen (plus friction brakes) and 5 cm for acceleration, 10 cm total. There's an argument to be made that it does, indeed, create the potential for finer control.

Also, as far as I can tell my Model S doesn't apply the full available regen instantly, no matter how fast I lift off the accelerator. It fades it in. Presumably if you put regen on the brake pedal, the driver has the ability to signal the car "I want all the regen and I want it now!" Of course, if fading in the regen is for electrical reasons and not UI reasons, this is irrelevant, but if it's a UI choice, it provides more options.

Only a road test will settle the matter. In any case, I continue to be quite happy with the choices Tesla made and even if my speculation above is accurate, I suspect the decision on Tesla's part to Keep It Simple, Stupid with the brake pedal is one that will stand the test of time.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: SmartElectric
That video is seriously impressive!

I enjoyed watching it. A few things stood out for me - the first several minutes of robotic work...didn't seem like they were doing anything really. Things would come and grab on to the car and then some other robots came in to...apply sealant or something? :) But the video got better and I really liked watching the paint robots do their thing. Those seemed pretty cool.

Their assembly line (including robots) doesn't look they were made for speed though. Both the robots and humans seemed a little laxidasical.But they don't sell that many cars really, so I guess it's cool. Good work-life balance as a factory worker. No trying to deliver 30K cars in the last week of a quarter for these folks :)

I know the people at the end were meant to convey they are obsessed with details and want to QC every little thing. And I am sure they are and do! But, I was checking them out feeling the gaps vs using any measuring devices that would, you know, actually give them objective data rather than just eyeballing it.

Hopefully this will become a popular model for Porsche buyers and we will have some more non-Tesla electric vehicles on the road. Variety is the spice of life.

Reactions: SmartElectric
There are currently more 350kW CCS chargers than v3 superchargers. And even with v3 the Model 3 still takes significantly longer to get to a higher SoC like 80%, because the peak power is only maintained for a couple of minutes. If the curve from the Norwegian web site is accurate, it is very impressive IMO.

Apples to apples please. Range to range. What's the range obtained in the same time frame?

Well the Taycan is too expensive for me.

YEP! Porsche does know how to make a profit. Maintaining that profit probably factored into Taycan pricing.

Gotta love Porsche for their option pricing... Porsche Taycan configurator has a $500 option for... an mp3 file of motor noise - Electrek

The Taycan is a big departure for Porsche in that it’s their first EV, but there are definitely some ways it really feels like a Porsche. For example, the Taycan offers an insane amount of options — something Porsche is famous for. One of those options is Porsche’s “Electric Sport Sound,” a $500 option that adds fake, electric-like engine noises to the car. The “Electric Sport Sound” is described on Porsche’s configurator thusly:

Porsche Electric Sport Sound enhances the vehicle’s own sound and makes it sound even more emotional — both outside and inside the vehicle. Can be activated/deactivated via Porsche Communication Management (PCM). It costs $500, and is listed under the “performance” section of the configurator, alongside options like rear steering, dynamic chassis control, and brake upgrades.