Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Porsche Taycan Is Completing Its Final Test Drives: Videos

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

TMC Staff

May 19, 2017
Everything needs to be buttoned up to the last button Porsche Taycan has entered the final stage of testing before the launch of series production. Tests are conducted in a total of 30 countries at temperatures from minus 35 to plus 50 degree Celsius. The total mileage soon will reach about 6 million km (3.7 million...
[WPURI="https://teslamotorsclub.com/blog/2019/03/29/porsche-taycan-final-test-drives-videos/"]READ FULL ARTICLE[/WPURI]

They have a checkered past dating back to Nazi Germany and more recently with the VWAG emissions scandal.
I could pinch my nose off and drive their vehicle if its backwards compatible with Tesla SC network and is technically superior to the Tesla or they come with a product in market areas Tesla doesn't cover, like an electric truck, like the Atlas below, but then I remember the horrible service issues I had with the 4 VW/Audi products I owned and have sworn off the myth of "German Engineering" in our house.

Three strikes you're out, last time I checked.

Volkswagen-Atlas-Tanoak-Truck-Concept-rear-side.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: MXWing
Why do post about Porche on the Tesla Motors Club. I did not join this club to hear about cars that are not even competitive to our Tesla. I also have no respect for Porche management or service.
Many people would prefer an electric Porsche over a Tesla, I know some of these people. So whether we like it or not (I prefer Tesla), they may very well be legitimate competitors in the market, regardless of how much better we consider Tesla to be, which makes this relevant to discuss on a Tesla site.

In addition, most of us welcome EV competition. Beside advocating for Tesla, most of us advocate in general for electric cars.

Well said. I’ve owned Porsche’s since I was 18, still own the first one. I welcomed the Taycan but it’s turned out bland for my taste so I’m passing on my reservation. But I welcome more choice in the market place, more progression and while some make the same comments as the people who snubbed Tesla’s charging structure, like it or now, 800v is going to become the norm and what seems fanciful in EV terms usually ends up being pioneering in the real world.

In Scandinavia, just a few kilometres away from the Arctic Circle, it is proving its potential in terms of driving dynamics on snow and ice. At the same time, Porsche engineers are taking advantage of the summer in the Southern Hemisphere. In South Africa, they are conducting performance tests, as well as final adjustments in terms of continuous performance and reproducibility. In Dubai they are carrying out hot-climate endurance runs...

Sounds like battle plans for a blitzkreig with Fedor Von Bock going into Norway with Rommel’s corps pushing into Africa.

Just like how America responded on December 7th, 1941 - we will respond again!

Hoping the Shanghai factory comes online soon so no 15,000 mile supply chains needed to support the eastern front.

E344BB92-7E47-4391-A068-E54F141726CF.jpeg

• Love
Reactions: Xenoilphobe
So it will have a different charging system than Tesla. Looks like there will be a different system for each new E-car? If they were smart they would adopt an open system (or perhaps use Tesla's system, if the business arrangements could be made). This is the sort of thing that demands standardization in the long run.
I agree an EV charging standard is inevitable and we would be collectively better served as consumers if it is established sooner rather than later but on the other hand I do not see the lack of a unified standard as something difficult to overcome for individual EV owners. As long as an adapter from one plug configuration to another is made available this subject is moot.

No, you reference that "they" have issued a national standard for charging. Who is they?
The US version of CCS is driven by the SAE. All BEVs coming to the market in the US except Tesla and Nissan are using it (currently Chevy Bolt, BMW i3, VW e-Golf, Kia Niro/Soul EV and Jaguar I-Pace, soon Audi E-tron, Mercedes EQC and of course the Porsche discussed in this thread).

Last edited:
Charging rate means nothing if I can’t see the curve.

.. and what’s the battery warranty, terms and conditions?

Let’s see how many Taycan owners become non existent like iPace owners and put their money where their mouth is when it comes time to ante up.

• Informative
Reactions: SO16
And where do you charge it? I like the 4 minutes to 62 miles, but that one station in California is going to have a very long line..
By the time the Taycan arrives in California at the end of this year or early next year there should be around 160 Electrify America locations in California with about 50 along highways with 350 kW charging and another 110 or so urban charging locations most of which will have 150 kW charging. That’s pretty comparable to what Tesla May have in California by the end of this year although Tesla will have many more charging spaces at each of their sites because they will have many more cars on the road. Tesla’s sites will also likely be a bit more evenly spread out.

Today there are only 2 highway sites in CA (with 350 kW charging) and 3 urban sites with only 50 kW charging but 27 additional sites are in development (permits, construction).

There are already about 100 EA sites open nationally with 350 kW charging but the California locations have gotten a slow start for various reasons.