Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Porsche Taycan - Tesla Rival Seen Today

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I hope the electric Taycan turns out to be a properly engineered EV but we are months away from any hard information about the car.I do not expect the Taycan to be priced below a comparable Tesla. Porsche loves to charge high prices, and high service costs, based on name alone (I’ve owned 5 Porsches, but those days are over).
That is an unfair comparison, the Kona has a much nicer interior.
I can’t tell if you are joking or not. The Kona interior does not impress me. The Model 3 interior blows me away every time I get in my car: I love it. It is the future, but I have it right now. That is so cool. And it works so well; I want all my future cars to just have one screen and nothing else.

The Kona also outsells the Model 3 too. :D
I can tell you are joking. :D

• Love
Reactions: Brando
I hope the electric Taycan turns out to be a properly engineered EV but we are months away from any hard information about the car.I do not expect the Taycan to be priced below a comparable Tesla. Porsche loves to charge high prices, and high service costs, based on name alone (I’ve owned 5 Porsches, but those days are over).
I think reports are saying that the base Taycan will start lower than a Panamera. But I don't think that has been confirmed yet.

You're right. The Model 3 might have more plastic in its interior than the Little Tikes car.

I am clearly joking, but my original point is that the Model 3 will in no way be considered comparable to the Taycan. The Model 3 is a stripped down as-cheap-as-possible EV. You are paying for the great Tesla software and functionality, not the build quality. Porsche build quality and attention to detail is beautiful. The Taycan is going to be a visually beautiful car that stands out, while the Model 3 just looks like a nice Mazda 3. No one will ever cross shop the two, even if they are similar in size. It is like cross shopping a Ford Expedition and Range Rover Autobiography LWB.

2020 Porsche Taycan Turbo prototype ride review | MOTOR

"base Taycan is rear-wheel drive only, sports an 80kWh battery and is powered by either 240kW or 280kW motors. Due late next year, it will be priced in the low $130Ks."

That's AUD, so ~$90-95k USD. 240 kW is about 321 hp, 280 kW is 375 hp. That's decent, but remember, the Taycan is a heavy vehicle. It is likely about 400 pounds heavier than the equivalent Model 3. Basically, compared to a 2012 Model S P85, the base Taycan has less power to the rear wheels, likely less EPA range (230-240 miles versus 265). Based on the power output, the base Taycan likely has comparable quickness to a Model 3 LR RWD for about twice the price. All Tesla has to do to have the Model 3 LR RWD compete with the base Taycan is a software update to unlock track mode across the Model 3 lineup, or at least a mode that cuts back on the stability control nanny.

Even adding in $7-10k in suspension/brakes/tires/wheels upgrades and $5-10k in heavily customized interior upgrades, there are many tens of thousands of dollars of price difference. With that said, there should be plenty of folks that wouldn't touch a Tesla for one reason or another and will pony up the big bucks for a "true Porsche BEV sports car." We have names for such people, but I digress...

Also note that the Taycan will only charge at 250 kW on a 350 kW EVSE...

The Taycan is the first EV than can be fed with up to 250kW at an 800V charge point

The charge curve, as reported by bystanders, seems to be closer to the Model 3's than the Audi E-tron. Since the Taycan is expected to be far less efficient, the Model 3 has much faster charging times.

• Love
Reactions: Brando
The rear lights look atrocious.

2020-Porsche-Taycan-Turbo-prototype-tail.jpg

side note: many Tesla owners have/do own 911 Porsches - Joe Rogan, Elon Musk and Jay Leno for example.:cool:

Try a YouTube search:
911 vs Model 3

Rich people can and do often own multiple cars. Will be interesting to see IF 911 sales actually drop.
AND to see C8 Corvette vs Model 3 Performance - can we actually get those numbers to compare??

side note: Jerry Seinfeld Just Sold 17 Rare Cars for $22 Million - mostly Porsches.
https://fortune.com/2016/03/14/jerry-seinfeld-cars/

Last edited: