Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Porsche Taycan vs Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'll bite..

-Why can't we see the full race?
-What is the SOC for both cars?
-Is it actually a P100D? Or is it a 100D, 90D, 70D ect
-Is it set to Ludicrous plus, or is it on sport mode?
-How long is the race?
-Whats the timing system say? Is there a timing system?
-Not that there's anything wrong with that... by why we you doing speed tests in flooding rain?

Every major car magazine is gonna get the chance to run these cars against one another. I'll wait for a more trustworthy source like MotorTrend, Car and Diver and Road &Track.

Food for thought: In order to put 8-10 car lengths on a P100D (as the video tries to suggest) the Trashcan would need to run sub 9.59 1/4 mile time. Does anybody here, actually believe that Porsche will beat a McClaren 720s which runs 9.70 stock?

I'll bite..

1 Why can't we see the full race?
2 What is the SOC for both cars?
3 -Is it actually a P100D? Or is it a 100D, 90D, 70D ect
4 Is it set to Ludicrous plus, or is it on sport mode?
5 How long is the race?
6 Whats the timing system say? Is there a timing system?
7Not that there's anything wrong with that... by why we you doing speed tests in flooding rain?

1 Full comparison here: Thema heute u.a.: Porsche Taycan mit Alex - auto mobil - Oktober 2019 im Online Stream | TVNOW

2 Porsche always had the same acceleration regardless of SOC. Tesla got slower and slower with lower SOC.

3 Yeah, P100D.

4 "VON SINNEN+" mode, guess that's the German translation of ludicrous+ mode.

5 A landing strip long.

6 No timing system.

7 Why not?

Like I have posted in other parts of the forum, the auto mags, and autoblogs will have production Taycans around the end of the year. You will see many, many Taycan/Model S comparisons on Youtube...................I am betting TMC is not going to like the majority of the results.

• Funny
Reactions: WarpedOne
It's not just the 0-60 times that matter to buyers. That is but one metric that ignores almost everything else that may be important to car enthusiasts. While on the subject of acceleration, Taycan has a far superior battery and cooling system which allows for repeatable performance all day long, and long after the Model S throttles acceleration due to lack of cooling. This car is built for the Autobahn. Tesla is simply out-engineered in this department.

Model S lacks a true performance suspension. Active air does not fix that. The only Tesla that came close was the P85+, nothing since. Taycan will have superior stability and cornering capabilities at high speed than any Tesla. The Taycan interior, including the displays, is absolutely gorgeous and well thought out. Porsche infotainment also supports CarPlay, a feature many auto buyers are looking for and one which the vast majority of vehicle manufacturers support. The build quality of the vehicle will be up to Porsche standard: Exceptional.

What I don't like about Taycan:
  • Porsche is nickel-and-diming on features, no surprise there
  • Standard DC charging is only 50 kW, must pay for upgrade to 150 kW and no mention of higher charge rates
  • Battery warranty is lacking at only 8-years/100,000 miles compared to Tesla's 8-years/unlimited miles
  • Range is paltry compared to comparable Tesla
  • No supercharge network for long distance travel, good luck finding DC chargers where you need them

Last edited:
  • No supercharge network for long distance travel, good luck finding DC chargers where you need them
Looks like there are quite a few superchargers live.
But come on, most Porsche owners probably can afford airplane tickets for long distance travel, no need to do it by car.

Unbenannt.PNG

But come on, most Porsche owners probably can afford airplane tickets for long distance travel, no need to do it by car.

View attachment 467344

Wow everything in CA is coming soon, youd think that's the first place you build out your chargers. Plus how many chargers are at each site? I can see it now.......
"Sorry there's only one charger so your just gonna have to wait for my eGolf to finish before charging your Porsche" will not sit well with Porsche owners.

Overlay a TSLA supercharger map over that and you cant even read the names of the states.

1 Full comparison here: Thema heute u.a.: Porsche Taycan mit Alex - auto mobil - Oktober 2019 im Online Stream | TVNOW

2 Porsche always had the same acceleration regardless of SOC. Tesla got slower and slower with lower SOC.

3 Yeah, P100D.

5 A landing strip long.

6 No timing system.

7 Why not?

I believe I asked what the starting SOC was, now how they cars ran as the battery depleted.

So can I quote you as saying that the "Porsche runs no different at 100% SOC than 10% SOC?"

I've built an HV pack or two in my day, how much are you willing to wager that statement is incorrect?

Last edited:
Like I have posted in other parts of the forum, the auto mags, and autoblogs will have production Taycans around the end of the year. You will see many, many Taycan/Model S comparisons on Youtube...................I am betting TMC is not going to like the majority of the results.

I'm guessing your just guessing and have nothing to back that sh^% up. When your car comes in DM me and we can meet up for a good old fashioned drag race. Aint nothing but air and opportunity between us.

Reactions: WarpedOne
Until I see the production model, I'm not fully convinced. I still remember when Porsche promised 250kW charging at the model intro. Now, I'm hearing 150kW.

Motor Trend said recently, "We have yet to test the new all-electric Porsche Taycan in any form, but it's pretty safe bet the EV sport sedan will end up on this list once we do. Porsche estimates that a Taycan Turbo S in Launch Control mode can do the 0-60 mph sprint in 2.6 seconds...."

A production Model S Performance is actually doing 2.3 seconds NOW. Right Now. From the factory. If you're already 0.3 seconds behind 0-60, that's a lot of ground to cover to make up and pass the Model S in a quarter mile "assuming" the factory estimated figure actually translates to the Taycan production model.

What else?

Last edited:
A production Model S Performance is actually doing 2.3 seconds NOW. Right Now. From the factory.
Tesla is saying 0-60mph in 2.4 seconds.
60mph is 96km/h.
Porsche does 0-100km/h in 2.6 seconds.
Also, Tesla gives these numbers with a rolling start. Porsche from standstill.

If you add 0.25 seconds for the rolling start and 0.2 seconds for the 60mph to 100km/h gap, Porsche has the advantage.

Unbenannt.PNG

Further with the Porsche you don't need to wait 35 minutes for max. accleleration for battery heating. ;)

max-battery.jpg

View attachment 467344
Are these superchargers? Like ours? I think they are just regular charge point chargers and you're sharing them with the entire EV world. I don't use them but I suspect they are getting more and more crowded just like our superchargers.

3 Yeah, P100D.

5 A landing strip long.

6 No timing system.

7 Why not?

The definition of von Sinnen is somewhat context dependent, but ludicrous in this context might be okay. It literally means from the senses. The way Germans use it would be closer to "just nuts," as in the way a car performs is just nuts (in a positive way). I too would like to know what the actual Tesla model was. It if was the performance with 21" tires, than the better Porsche handling would be notable. If it was the 75D, not so much. Of course, in its first version the Porsche costs 50%+ more so it better do a few things better.

I do understand the importance of acceleration and handling parameters If you only use your vehicle for drag racing or track use.

But,

I suspect most people use their vehicles in practical situations more than they use them on a track.

Perhaps it would be useful to see some "real-world" scenario testing - not just between the Taycan and the S, but in any comparison test.

One example:

Neither my 2014 S nor my 2018 S will make it past inflection points in my driveways unless I set the suspension to "Very High".
The sound of that bottom scraping is a bit concerning. The cool part is getting off of high-center by raising the suspension.
Even cooler is having a car smart enough to raise itself before you get high-centered.
Does anyone know if the Taycan has suspension-height control?

Taycan is an impressive vehicle, I like it, but no matter how much I want a Taycan, if I can't can't get it up my driveway, I can't use it.

Other examples may include carrying a golf bag or an ice chest or getting Grandma in the back seat - depends on your own situation as to what is practical and what is not. I would love to see more comprehensive comparisons than just drag strip videos.

Oh man - after reading the above I realize that I've become my Mom - or a Consumer Reports correspondent.