Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Porsche Taycan Vs Tesla Model S: Review, Road Test, Race, Charging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Plenty actually, if you include non-EA locations. But here in CA the more important question is "how many CCS chargers are near superchargers that are chronically overcrowded".
A few examples?

And as soon as Teslas can suck power through a ccs adapter, those will be full also. Both of them.

Porsche will always have the disadvantage of not being able to use tesla infrastructure and no offsetting advantage except perhaps for the heavy Walmart shoppers among them.

A few examples?

And as soon as Teslas can suck power through a ccs adapter, those will be full also. Both of them.

Porsche will always have the disadvantage of not being able to use tesla infrastructure and no offsetting advantage except perhaps for the heavy Walmart shoppers among them.

A Tesla Supercharger could only charge a Taycan at 480 vdc max. It really needs a 1000v charger to see the full speed. There are probably over 400 locations of 350kW @ 1000vdc chargers already and climbing.

A few examples?
Take a look at this post. I'm sure you'll see some examples:

Tesla charging with CCS adapter... coming soon?
And as soon as Teslas can suck power through a ccs adapter, those will be full also.
If that happens, it means the CCS providers will see rising revenues, which in turn will make it economically feasible for them to deploy more chargers. Demand driving supply, who would have thought. The whole point of a CCS adapter is that we wouldn't have to rely only on Tesla, which can clearly not keep up with demand in some areas.
except perhaps for the heavy Walmart shoppers among them.
:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Yet porsche organizes a (downhill) road trip and cant pick a route with a working 350kw .

Porsche Taycan Road Trip: Ask Me Anything | Articles | Grassroots Motorsports

"The Electrify America stations promised up to 350 kW, but at the second stop we saw about 80 kW. We convoyed with two other Taycans, and at that same stop, one charged at north of 150 kW. "

Welcome to DCFC. Enjoy the ride. Would you like to speculate why one car charged at twice the rate of the other? That should add 20 pages of speculation to the thread.

Correction: ABB 350's are 920vdc x 400a, not 1000vdc. Found old 2018 pics.

Last edited:
Whoa, Porsche lives up to its reputation for underquoting its performance specs!
Excellently, this means 1. The Taycan is better than we thought (by this admittedly unimportant metric); and 2. Elon will push harder and faster for an excellent plaid Model S. Wait for the next exciting instalment in EVs...

I'm sticking with my prediction that the Taycan Turbo S will do 10.3s on an actual drag strip.
Guess I was wrong (so far). Car and Driver got 10.5s @130mph.
Good review: 2020 Porsche Taycan Turbo S vs. 2020 Tesla Model S Performance Model S came in 1st!
Interestingly they got the same efficiency (MPGe) for the Taycan and Model S in their testing at 75mph around an oval track. They got slightly more range out of the Model S because it has a bigger battery.
The repeatability of acceleration performance was much better on the Taycan. It's going to be a beast on the track. Tesla better get that Plaid drivetrain out soon!

"As we set up the Model S for a max-charging session, Tesla employees mobbed the Taycan. Sizing it up on a granular level, they were visibly impressed by the build quality on the preproduction Porsche and genuinely excited about a new EV contender. Their level of open-mindedness—far exceeding what we've come to expect from Tesla owners and fanatics—is no doubt one of Tesla's strengths."

2020 Porsche Taycan Turbo S vs. 2020 Tesla Model S Performance

No group think at Tesla.

Reactions: ICUDoc and bhzmark