Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Porsche Taycan Vs Tesla Model S: Review, Road Test, Race, Charging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Completed the test. Road didn't "feel" as sticky today and had a tad bit of spin on the launch. Car was at 100% SOC, full geeked out easter egg ludicrous mode, and launch mode used. I did 2 passes which were about the same.

Interesting to see that the peak power only was up 3kW from the run prior to the power update. However, the peak power at the front and rear motors changed quite a bit. Rear motor power went from 375-> 355 and front motor went from 176 -> 188.

Times were about the same overall.

IMG_0700.jpeg
Screenshot 2019-11-12 at 10.29.40 AM.jpeg
Screenshot 2019-11-12 at 10.30.13 AM.jpeg
Screenshot 2019-11-12 at 12.42.22 PM.jpeg

• Informative
Reactions: bhzmark
hmm. with those good conditions I would have thought that you would have improved on my 2.70 0-60 which didn't have full warp mode easter egg and fully heated battery, and was uphill (.76%), and was before the update.

While your 1/4 was faster than my 1/4, your 60ft time was a bit slower, so maybe you were slipping (with resultant power cut) a little at the start. Do you happen to have a teslalog to show the power curve?

hmm. with those good conditions I would have thought that you would have improved on my 2.70 0-60 which didn't have full warp mode easter egg and fully heated battery, and was uphill (.76%), and was before the update.

While your 1/4 was faster than my 1/4, your 60ft time was a bit slower, so maybe you were slipping (with resultant power cut) a little at the start. Do you happen to have a teslalog to show the power curve?

No teslalog. There was a bit of spin so that might be the issue.

And now some good data on Porsche and compared with recent Raven on the street (on dragstrip with better traction is a little faster).

Still not perfect as Porsche was disadvantaged with a low 50% SOC (although they claim it doesn't matter, it likely does) and second passenger at abt 150 lbs. but the best data so far. Thank you @fiksegts for doing God's work.

upload_2020-1-27_13-45-13.png

Reactions: 30seconds
Not sure anyone paying $140k-250k MSRP (*) for a car will worry about an occasional few bucks difference in charging costs.

(*) I know the Taycan 4S starts at $104K MSRP. But by the time one adds 'required options' and stuff that makes it at least usable, I figure my minimum build would be $140k.

Or on charging convenience and/or pricing?
$21 for 20 minutes means that they used EA's non-subscription pricing ($.99/minute + $1 session charge). If they had used the "pass+" plan ($.70/minute, no session charge), it would have been only about $14, or roughly $.30/kWh, which is less than many superchargers. The $4 subscription fee would have more than paid for itself just with this single charging session.

• Informative
Reactions: pilotSteve
$21 for 20 minutes means that they used EA's non-subscription pricing ($.99/minute + $1 session charge). If they had used the "pass+" plan ($.70/minute, no session charge), it would have been only about $14, or roughly $.30/kWh, which is less than many superchargers. The $4 subscription fee would have more than paid for itself just with this single charging session.

It would also still be more expensive than many Superchargers...

Reactions: bhzmark
It would also still be more expensive than many Superchargers...
Not in my neck of the woods. Most superchargers here are $.31/kWh or more. BTW, in the example above the Taycan was apparently using a 150kW charger (46 kWh/(1/3h) = 140kW). At its peak charge rate of 270kW (using an EA 350kW charger), the price per kWh would almost drop in half. EAs pricing scheme favors cars that can charge fast like the Taycan.

Not in my neck of the woods. Most superchargers here are $.31/kWh or more. BTW, in the example above the Taycan was apparently using a 150kW charger (46 kWh/(1/3h) = 140kW). At its peak charge rate of 270kW (using an EA 350kW charger), the price per kWh would almost drop in half. EAs pricing scheme favors cars that can charge fast like the Taycan.

In mine it's $0.26.

There are in fact several hundred locations with 350kW chargers in the US, and growing fast.

There are ~6k Supercharger plugs in the US...for perspective...with V3 Superchargers "growing fast."