Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Porsche Taycan

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think Porsche is claiming a little too much with the 800v System in relation to the charging times and speed. I can see it will eventually get there but it will take time, by then Tesla would of been there and done that. They seem to be so far advanced in battery system and electrical system it's going to take a long time for traditional automakers to catch up.

As for charging options.. nothing comes close to the Supercharger network in Australia (despite it still needs a lot of work) and other companies out there are not rolling out fast enough IMO. Once again everyone else will be late to the party.

Technology will be up there with Tesla but once again a little late to the party. Will they have LTE for all cars? Spotify? AutoPilot/Other Driver Assist? If so will it be as good as Tesla. They have had a head start of 8 years.

As for styling, performance, fit and finish I'm sure it will be stunning (albeit many more physical buttons to push).

Reactions: paulp and sootless
I'm sure Porsche will sell every one of the very few cars they will allocate to Australia.
It will sell to all those not willing to risk it with Tesla, seeking the reassurance of an 'Established' brand.
Every one of these buyers will be slightly miffed that they can't drive between Brisbane, Sydney and Melbourne like Tesla owners can.
I will be interested to know if the efficiency is compromised like it appears to be with the iPace and e-Quattro.

I think Porsche is claiming a little too much with the 800v System in relation to the charging times and speed. I can see it will eventually get there but it will take time, by then Tesla would of been there and done that. They seem to be so far advanced in battery system and electrical system it's going to take a long time for traditional automakers to catch up.

As for charging options.. nothing comes close to the Supercharger network in Australia (despite it still needs a lot of work) and other companies out there are not rolling out fast enough IMO. Once again everyone else will be late to the party.

Technology will be up there with Tesla but once again a little late to the party. Will they have LTE for all cars? Spotify? AutoPilot/Other Driver Assist? If so will it be as good as Tesla. They have had a head start of 8 years.

As for styling, performance, fit and finish I'm sure it will be stunning (albeit many more physical buttons to push).
Porsche have already declared that the 800v charging will only be available at dealerships.

Those exhaust pipes are probably the fake ones on the test mules. It's disguise.

As far as quality and general impressiveness goes, the Taycan will be right up there for sure. Shame it's more expensive than the Tesla and has no high-power DC charging infra in place, but there will be some CCS chargers it can use. It should have solid performance too.

I still marvel at how traditional automakers slept so long and deep while Tesla got a 7-8 year advantage on all of them! That is the sort of market advantage you just don't ever get except by a sheer miracle.

Reactions: Icey
Porsche have already declared that the 800v charging will only be available at dealerships.
Really? It has a CCS2 connector so surely can charge at 800V with other CCS2 facilities such as Chargefox.

I also like that it has 22kW AC charging. Not quite sure why Tesla lowered the charger capabilities in recent years. Pretty much all of the world outside US has easy access to 3-phase 32A. 22kW charging should be a no brainer. Being 50-100% faster to charge at home does matter.

Will definitely take one for a test drive when they reach Australia. I'm not sure it'll replace my roadster order but there's a lot that I think porsche has got right with the design. It's also great to see them doing extensive testing before releasing to the public.

Really? It has a CCS2 connector so surely can charge at 800V with other CCS2 facilities such as Chargefox.

I also like that it has 22kW AC charging. Not quite sure why Tesla lowered the charger capabilities in recent years. Pretty much all of the world outside US has easy access to 3-phase 32A. 22kW charging should be a no brainer. Being 50-100% faster to charge at home does matter.

Will definitely take one for a test drive when they reach Australia. I'm not sure it'll replace my roadster order but there's a lot that I think porsche has got right with the design. It's also great to see them doing extensive testing before releasing to the public.
Agreed, 22kW is very useful, I envy the older cars with dual chargers.
Especially handy for regional trips using 3phase adaptors, or just destination chargers in country towns.

Every one of these buyers will be slightly miffed that they can't drive between Brisbane, Sydney and Melbourne like Tesla owners can.
Huh? They'll be able to use the NRMA Fast Charging network in NSW and the QLD Electric Highway. What does VIC have?

There was an article in Elektrek a few days ago where a EU Model 3 owner charged at a third party 300 kW CCS charger and got a faster charge rate (just) than at a Supercharger. I know the chargers here aren't 300 kW (yet) but the days where Tesla had a monopoly on 'supercharging' are over.

@Vostok you say "Tesla had a monopoly on 'supercharging' are over."....the alternative chargers to Tesla's are announced and yet to be built/completed and from what I can tell will be some time before they are....so your statement is wrong at this point in time. And let's just see how good they are here in Australia when finished (reliable, maintained, how many installed per location, often they only install 2x points), personally I hope for lots of competition, heaps of new EVs etc. but lets not make statements of fact then it is yet to come/be proven.

NRMA interviewed a number of EV/Tesla owners prior to rolling out their Quick Charging network.
My number one point was that I would prefer to see fewer multiple stall locations than more single stall locations.
A charging network needs redundancy at all locations or else you can be stranded in a remote location due to a single point of failure. They have done this on many locations but I note that one of the latest sites,at Narrandera I think, is only a single unit. In my eyes a network is not valid unless it includes some redundancy.
Imagine a Taycan owner, having paid circa $250K+ for their car, on their way to their country estate arriving in town to find the only charger is offline.
At least in VIC the Jet Charge network is being rolled out by the same guy who rolled out the Supercharger network up until he left to go to Jet Charged, so that network you will be able to rely upon.