Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Porsche Taycan

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We bought a Taycan Turbo S a couple of weeks ago. It's an absolutely amazing car. I've had 6 previous Porsches, mostly 911's and one Panamera, and it's remarkable how much it feels like a 911 in terms of driver position and handling. It's obviously way heavier when pushed to the limits, but it is amazing what Porsche has achieved. The interior and overall build quality honestly puts our Model X to shame. Tesla still does a much better job at packaging the vehicle in terms of space and storage, and the Tesla phone App is way better. But pretty much everything else about the Taycan is in another league. Yes it's extremely expensive, but I knew that going into it, and that has been the case with previous Porsches I've purchased. Porsches are never cheap and like any premium brand you pay a lot more for subtle differences. On paper when comparing numbers it never makes sense, but brands like Porsche survive and make a lot of money on these differences. I always use the example of the 911 and Corvette. On paper the Corvette is a way better car. But go drive a 911 and suddenly you see why it costs twice as much. Some things are hard to describe and need to be experienced.

I did take a road trip in the Taycan already and used 4 Electrify America chargers. I hit between 240-265kW each time peak, and was consistently able to fill the car from the high teens to 90-95% in 30 minutes (only 20 minutes to 80%). It held 100kW into the high 80% range and was still at 80kW at 90%. Our Model X is a 2018 and feels extremely slow charging compared to the Taycan. On a road trip this summer our Model X took almost 50 minutes to charge from 15% - 80%. Also driving at highways speeds I was able to average around 340kWh / 100 miles versus our Model X (with 22" wheels) averaging around 380kWh / 100 miles. That's a 250 mile real range at 70-75mph in both vehicles even though the Taycan has a EPA range of 192 and our Model X has an EPA range of 295.

So overall happy? Let us know how it does in the snow. Got a Plaid on order but I think I'd consider a Taycan if the trunk wasn't so small. Love the look.

Overall I'm really happy. I gave up my 911's because I now have three kids and I was hardly driving them. Combine that with my love of EV's and wanting to do my part in regards to CO2 emissions, this perfectly fits the bill. We are now 100% electric with a PV array on our roof.

I plan on driving it year round and in the snow so I'll definitely provide a report.

We bought a Taycan Turbo S a couple of weeks ago. It's an absolutely amazing car. I've had 6 previous Porsches, mostly 911's and one Panamera, and it's remarkable how much it feels like a 911 in terms of driver position and handling. It's obviously way heavier when pushed to the limits, but it is amazing what Porsche has achieved. The interior and overall build quality honestly puts our Model X to shame. Tesla still does a much better job at packaging the vehicle in terms of space and storage, and the Tesla phone App is way better. But pretty much everything else about the Taycan is in another league. Yes it's extremely expensive, but I knew that going into it, and that has been the case with previous Porsches I've purchased. Porsches are never cheap and like any premium brand you pay a lot more for subtle differences. On paper when comparing numbers it never makes sense, but brands like Porsche survive and make a lot of money on these differences. I always use the example of the 911 and Corvette. On paper the Corvette is a way better car. But go drive a 911 and suddenly you see why it costs twice as much. Some things are hard to describe and need to be experienced.

I did take a road trip in the Taycan already and used 4 Electrify America chargers. I hit between 240-265kW each time peak, and was consistently able to fill the car from the high teens to 90-95% in 30 minutes (only 20 minutes to 80%). It held 100kW into the high 80% range and was still at 80kW at 90%. Our Model X is a 2018 and feels extremely slow charging compared to the Taycan. On a road trip this summer our Model X took almost 50 minutes to charge from 15% - 80%. Also driving at highways speeds I was able to average around 340kWh / 100 miles versus our Model X (with 22" wheels) averaging around 380kWh / 100 miles. That's a 250 mile real range at 70-75mph in both vehicles even though the Taycan has a EPA range of 192 and our Model X has an EPA range of 295.
Thanks for the review, I might go test drive a Taycan. I checked out the 2020 Model S and it was super underwhelming inside. Amazing how many people rag on the Taycan for it's MSRP, somehow ignoring the fact that Porsche never was a high volume affordable car manufacturer.

I have a deposit on a Taycan 4S. I enjoyed driving it, but I’m considering canceling it and getting another Tesla. It’s not like I go any where beyond 90 miles from my home. Lately I just drive to the grocery store. The Taycan is double the cost of a Model S long range. I could probably make due with a Model Y or Model 3.

I have a deposit on a Taycan 4S. I enjoyed driving it, but I’m considering canceling it and getting another Tesla. It’s not like I go any where beyond 90 miles from my home. Lately I just drive to the grocery store. The Taycan is double the cost of a Model S long range. I could probably make due with a Model Y or Model 3.

No one needs a Taycan. It is beyond excess. You have to truly love the driving experience. By all means for the money, any Tesla is a great option.

I'm a big cyclist and I always use the road bike analogy. The improvements in road bikes are steep until you get to the $2,000 price point. Beyond that the improvements are very small. Most people wouldn't even feel or notice the improvements except for the hard core road cyclists. Even then most are not willing to pay $10,000-$12,000 for the top of the line road bikes. This is similar to something like a Porsche. No one needs it, and most will not realize or understand the difference. But for those that do, can appreciate it, and can afford it, it's a wonderful thing.

No one needs a Taycan. It is beyond excess. You have to truly love the driving experience. By all means for the money, any Tesla is a great option.

I'm a big cyclist and I always use the road bike analogy. The improvements in road bikes are steep until you get to the $2,000 price point. Beyond that the improvements are very small. Most people wouldn't even feel or notice the improvements except for the hard core road cyclists. Even then most are not willing to pay $10,000-$12,000 for the top of the line road bikes. This is similar to something like a Porsche. No one needs it, and most will not realize or understand the difference. But for those that do, can appreciate it, and can afford it, it's a wonderful thing.
I'm a cyclist and I had no idea there were bikes in the 5 figures, I believe with my $200 mountain bike I'm what you'd call a peasant :p

Reactions: David29
I'm a cyclist and I had no idea there were bikes in the 5 figures, I believe with my $200 mountain bike I'm what you'd call a peasant :p

After tax, probably five figures: ;)
Porsche-Bike-RS.jpg

Porsche Bike RS

We have a plaid on order but will test drive a Taycan before we finalize our order. Porsche of Beaverton OR has about 9 in stock but it's too soon to do anything yet. Also I'm very interested in what Porsche does to their prices/deals when the Plaid rollout is imminent.

We have a plaid on order but will test drive a Taycan before we finalize our order. Porsche of Beaverton OR has about 9 in stock but it's too soon to do anything yet. Also I'm very interested in what Porsche does to their prices/deals when the Plaid rollout is imminent.

Porsche won't do anything to their prices when the plaid rolls out. They don't see Tesla as direct competition, and I agree with them. Their prices are too distinct. Just like the Corvette analogy above, you either want a Taycan or not. It's not an either or thing.

Personally, the Model S to me is underwhelming at it's price point, even in non-plaid form. I'd chose a 4S 10 out of 10 times over a Model S plaid, no matter how much faster the Tesla is.