Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Porsche Taycan

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'd chose a 4S 10 out of 10 times over a Model S plaid, no matter how much faster the Tesla is.

I agree.

The only holdback would be the Supercharger network...it's the only thing that enables me to actually get from one city to the next and back in a reasonable time. Other than that, I think the Taycan is the better built/engineered car. Except for the infotainment.

I agree.

The only holdback would be the Supercharger network...it's the only thing that enables me to actually get from one city to the next and back in a reasonable time. Other than that, I think the Taycan is the better built/engineered car. Except for the infotainment.
It depends where you are on that one too. In my province (BC), the government has set up a very comprehensive charger network with CCS/CHADEMO that are so close together you could drive even a base Nissan leaf without any range anxiety to any city in the province in the winter. Tesla chargers, however, are lacking in my province. I would be sad to leave the supercharger network though, since having the CHADEMO adapter lets me get the best of both worlds (although it's not very fast). Agreed on the Porsche infotainment being kind of meh, but the Tesla certainly spoils you with things like netflix and the games they added in V10.

• Informative
Reactions: pilotSteve
For me it will be about the whole package. Speed is not the end all and I know no Tesla (right now) comes close to even the Panamera much less a Taycan in handling. So we'll have to see just how much they change a Plaid. Just adding range and speed is probably not going to get me to spend $140k.

The Taycan drives really well. It’s refined and has a great ride even on the larger wheels. One can add all the conventional luxury items that Tesla is lacking. I’d take comfort items over games and Netflix.

The Taycan lacks in its apps and the charging network, depending on your location. They also seem to have the dreaded 12 volt battery problem. Tesla is way ahead in its software.

I do wish the Model S and X would get updates and bring back ventilated seats.

Model-S needs an external update so that the Plaid edition stands-out and is obviously identifiable as new/special.
I think more important than external updates are internal. What kind of "luxury" car costing ~$150k has such an awful interior? The Model S interior is frankly older and designed worse than the Model 3 interior. The Taycan however, has a beautiful interior that is very comfortable (at least in the front), and offers features Tesla owners can only dream of, such as massage seats, ventilated seats, HUD, temperature adjustment for feet vs upper body. People spending that kind of money usually expect more than just sheer speed and acceleration.

Reactions: mk677
For me it will be about the whole package. Speed is not the end all and I know no Tesla (right now) comes close to even the Panamera much less a Taycan in handling. So we'll have to see just how much they change a Plaid. Just adding range and speed is probably not going to get me to spend $140k.
Yea 140k..lol pass....most cars ride on streets that have speedlimits of 25- 45 and highways of 75mph and long straight roads. I have to laugh when i see some supercars here in colorado(lambrighini/ferrari/mclareans) and they are going 25-45 mph with other traffic: what a waste of a high tech motor huh?
I want tesla to create a 100-150 range sporty looking car for day to day commute-no frills but sleek. The m3 and model y are very generic looking to me.

Summary from Edmunds:
  • According to EPA range estimates, the Tesla Model Y trounces the Porsche Taycan — but the EPA tests in a lab.
  • Do the estimates hold up in the real world? Edmunds' test results have something to say about that.
  • TLDR: The Taycan beat the Model Y by a whopping 70 miles in our testing, yet the EPA says it should lose by 88 miles. So what gives?
They only charged the Model Y to 90% for the test (read to article to see why), but regardless Tesla underperformed and the Taycan overperformed by a lot.

Tesla Model Y vs. Porsche Taycan: Testing EPA Range in the Real World | Edmunds

At 70mph I imagine the second gear in the Taycan must help with efficiency a fair amount.
Yeah, this is critical to understanding the Taycan.
Tesla moved away from a second gear due to cost / weight / reliability issues, and their one-gear system works a treat in general.
But Porsche have developed a two-gear transmission that works, necessary when your home audience drives on Autobahns. But gee it costs a lot of money in a Taycan!

Yeah, this is critical to understanding the Taycan.
Tesla moved away from a second gear due to cost / weight / reliability issues, and their one-gear system works a treat in general.
But Porsche have developed a two-gear transmission that works, necessary when your home audience drives on Autobahns. But gee it costs a lot of money in a Taycan!
Yeah all though to be fair to the Taycan, nobody ever bought a Porsche to save money and I don't think one should reasonably expect this to change. I think the Taycan is more aimed at people spoiled by EVs who also want a high quality driving/customer experience.

Yeah all though to be fair to the Taycan, nobody ever bought a Porsche to save money and I don't think one should reasonably expect this to change. I think the Taycan is more aimed at people spoiled by EVs who also want a high quality driving/customer experience.
I agree totally- wasn't disrespecting Porsche.
Just a bit cranky, tbh, that a Taycan is way more than double than what a top-end full-option Tesla costs here.

Reactions: AdamMacDon
Heard a lot about fit and finish on Teslas and guess Porsche Taycan also can have similar interior and exterior issues with panel gaps, misalignment, trunk gasket fit, etc. Are they known for having higher end quality? Video is in German but I can tell he’s not happy.

Last edited:
After watching the Taycan video that’s gone viral with unintended acceleration while parking, was wondering how the car does on safety ratings. Have any been out on it yet?

That hurts me to watch.
And I hate that Teslarati and others make a show of it, as if it is the Porsche's fault. This happens a lot in Teslas- there but for the grace of God go I......