Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Porsche Taycan

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Looks like Porsche is providing a glimpse of their new entry into the EV world with the 2020 Taycan. Many headlines around the net are asking if this is the car to take out Tesla. It’s looks are subjective but there again, as Tesla owners, we too realize beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I personally like the look of the Porsche. I’m wondering though what makes it a Tesla killer. Although the preliminary numbers are estimations by the testers, they don’t stand out to me as a “killer”. The numbers (0-60 low 3s, 155 top speed, battery range approximately similar) are at or below that of a P3. With that said, I have to assume with a race pedigree like Porsche, the suspension on the track is upper crust. And, it looks like drivers can push it harder for longer being an obvious advantage over all Tesla models which in my mind is big. Owning a Porsche is a status thing for many. For others, it’s a purist performance grab. My P3 after rebates landed in the high $50s. We know the performance numbers for the P3. Are people going to pay more for the Porsche just for the two or three reasons mentioned above? I feel that majority of the Tesla models being sold are in a different market than where this Porsche will fall. With the estimated costs of Porsche’s new entry into the EV performance market, are reviewers comparing apples to oranges? Thoughts?

• Helpful
Reactions: Brando
I agree with mal_tsla (above) about the brakes. I have a Tesla M3P and love it, however I would buy another EV if it happened to beat out Tesla.
I loved the Taycan prototype when it was introduced only to find the design of the car now isnt anything like the prototype introduced. Tesla's breaking decisions make more sense over the Taycan, I mean to stop all that torque with jumbo brakes seems potentially for a point of weakness for the Taycan and replacement costs. At it's best the Taycan's advantages are likely interior and repeatable track acceleration mode only if comparing to the Model 3, comparing Taycan to the Model S the advantages disapear in comparison including the increased price of the Taycan over the Model S. Tesla will always have price advantage over the EVs it competes with, and Tesla's computers and driving assist is by far better than any of the others. Would I buy a Taycan over a Tesla? Tesla could easily add Taycan's appealing features to Tesla's, NO.

• Helpful
Reactions: Brando
And, it looks like drivers can push it harder for longer being an obvious advantage over all Tesla models which in my mind is big.

I'll believe the Taycan has better track endurance vs. P3D when I see it. While track endurance is a good thing, I'm not sure it matters to 99% of all buyers. In short, even if the Taycan lives up to all the hype, it will barely put a dent in Tesla sales. And that would be funny if the much less expensive P3D could beat it on a track which I don't think is more likely than not, but it's a distinct possibility. If that happens the Porche will be relegated to "poser" status.

Note that the Porche will almost certainly put down a bit quicker lap time but if the P3D can do (for example) 20 laps more quickly than the Taycan, well, that would not reflect well on the Porche.

Looks like Porsche is providing a glimpse of their new entry into the EV world with the 2020 Taycan. Many headlines around the net are asking if this is the car to take out Tesla. It’s looks are subjective but there again, as Tesla owners, we too realize beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I personally like the look of the Porsche. I’m wondering though what makes it a Tesla killer.
Why does it always have to be a "killer"? Why not simply a competitor?
Although the preliminary numbers are estimations by the testers, they don’t stand out to me as a “killer”. The numbers (0-60 low 3s, 155 top speed, battery range approximately similar) are at or below that of a P3. With that said, I have to assume with a race pedigree like Porsche, the suspension on the track is upper crust. And, it looks like drivers can push it harder for longer being an obvious advantage over all Tesla models which in my mind is big. Owning a Porsche is a status thing for many. For others, it’s a purist performance grab. My P3 after rebates landed in the high $50s. We know the performance numbers for the P3. Are people going to pay more for the Porsche just for the two or three reasons mentioned above?
I don't think the P3D is in the same class as the Porsche. Frankly (and I own one myself), the Model 3 is a compact car with an economy interior, more harshness and noise than others in this price class, not-so-great build quality, and the looks of a Mazda. If it didn't have Tesla's fantastic electric power train, nobody would give it a second look.

It'll probably be a very different experience to drive a Taycan (whether it's worth the higher price is up to the individual). Interior, comfort, build quality will likely be in a different class. The car has air suspension, a 2-speed gearbox and more power than the P3D in the higher trims (600 hp according to the Fully Charged video), and will probably look much better than the Model 3 once the camouflage is gone. We'll have to see what it has to offer in terms of modern tech like driver assistance systems, connected services and OTA updates. The price will probably range between $80k to the mid $100ks. It'll probably be less capable as a family car than the Model S due to smaller size and less interior space, but be more sporty instead, so not directly comparable here either.

Last edited:
Reactions: Eclectic
I don't think the P3D is in the same class as the Porsche. Frankly (and I own one myself), the Model 3 is a compact car with an economy interior, more harshness and noise than others in this price class, not-so-great build quality, and the looks of a Mazda. If it didn't have Tesla's fantastic electric power train, nobody would give it a second look.

It'll probably be a very different experience to drive a Taycan (whether it's worth the higher price is up to the individual). Interior, comfort, build quality will likely be in a different class. The car has air suspension, a 2-speed gearbox and more power than the P3D in the higher trims (600 hp according to the Fully Charged video), and will probably look much better than the Model 3 once the camouflage is gone. We'll have to see what it has to offer in terms of modern tech like driver assistance systems, connected services and OTA updates. The price will probably range between $80k to the mid $100ks. It'll probably be less capable as a family car than the Model S due to smaller size and less interior space, but be more sporty instead, so not directly comparable here either.

#1 "Tesla Killer" was part of one of the headlines that caught my eye. #2, I agree. The P3 and any Porsche are in different classes. No argument. But, when there is a shortage of "performance EVs" for comparison, there’s going to be an inevitable side-by-side. So, although I'm not an S owner, I would expect that with the recent upgrades, the Porsche, should, be compared to a price-similar vehicle. Then, how does the S and the Taycan match up?
One additional thought. Although it hasn't happened to me...yet, have any of you pulled up to the line in your P3 with any Porsche? Thumb nosing of interior, quality, or any other class-shading be damned. What was the result?

Last edited:

Taycan's price starts from $90 while the high end fastest (comparable to Model 3 Performance) STARTS at $120 that one compares to $60K M3P on the track- It's not even close to Tesla in price to performance.

#1 "Tesla Killer" was part of one of the headlines that caught my eye. #2, I agree. The P3 and any Porsche are in different classes. No argument. But, when there is a shortage of "performance EVs" for comparison, there’s going to be an inevitable side-by-side. So, although I'm not an S owner, I would expect that with the recent upgrades, the Porsche, should, be compared to a price-similar vehicle. Then, how does the S and the Taycan match up?
Obviously I haven't driven the Taycan, but the Model S, while pulling like crazy in a straight line, feels like a boat to me. I expect the Porsche to be more agile.
Taycan's price starts from $90 while the high end fastest (comparable to Model 3 Performance) STARTS at $120 that one compares to $60K M3P on the track- It's not even close to Tesla in price to performance.
0-60 in a straight line isn't everything, and we don't know the final numbers for the Taycan yet. Given the hp numbers and 2-speed gearbox, the higher trims should have significantly better high-end acceleration than the P3D.

Reactions: Eclectic
Obviously I haven't driven the Taycan, but the Model S, while pulling like crazy in a straight line, feels like a boat to me. I expect the Porsche to be more agile.
0-60 in a straight line isn't everything, and we don't know the final numbers for the Taycan yet. Given the hp numbers and 2-speed gearbox, the higher trims should have significantly better high-end acceleration than the P3D.

0-60 is what Porsche is touting . I own a Model 3P and have driven an S - so you're making the case ALL tesla's pull? That's asinine

Porsche is promoting that driving their new car will be lots of fun. Tesla is moving more to advancing the self driving technology.

People that want to go screeming around corners in the mountains or on the track, will be interested in the Taycan. Kind of a boy racer thing.

Tesla is not promoting the S or 3 as being the quickest around corners. It is more personal transportation than race car.They are providing more of a mainstream driving experience with fun when you want it and autopilot for when you are not on roads where agressive driving is desired. Rush hour traffic or long drives down the highway are where Autopilot will be best valued.

Kind of think of Porsche doing what they do best. Giving an outlet for owners that want to drive aggressively. Great balanced handling a firmer ride and the Ego boost from owning a car capable of going on the track.

Basically what they are presenting is an EV with additional cooling to enable fast driving for longer periods. They will pick their races. Of course endurance racing (Where Porsche normaily does pretty well) will be horrible for the Taycan, as it carries a relatively small battery with severly limited endurance at speed). It will mostly be a show pony for under 30 minute sprints.

This Taycan will be fun, but when the New Roadster comes out, it definitely will take it's place lower down the totem pole :)

• Disagree
Reactions: Solor and Eclectic

I've heard that about the S. So, with that being said, if the range and cost are comperable, then the P100D has a problem. I'm just not seeing crazy numbers yet. POSSIBLY sub 3 seconds 0-60, and a top speed over 160...The Porsche Taycan Turbo Redefines Speed and Acceleration-Automobile Magazine. Like they're the first to introduce fast EVs. Thank you Porsche for inventing fast electric vehicles. We were all waiting.