Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Porsche -Tesla Ride today

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A buddy and I swapped cars today for a beautiful ride in the mountains . As fun as it was to switch through the gears, I couldn’t get over how slow the Porsche was. The roadster is an amazing car, let’s all never forget that!
9B896B63-9240-4138-9DEB-7A5905B3F601.jpeg

I own both these cars. I intended to sell my Boxster when I bought my Roadster, but I didn't expect the Roadster to make me appreciate the Boxster more. The Porsche is a lot slower as almost all ICE cars are, but I didn't appreciate the time engineers spent on the little things until I drove a car that doesn't have them. These include:
  • Power convertible roof
  • Seats that adjust, and fold so you can access the space behind them
  • 2 real cupholders, placed in front of the air conditioning vents to keep your drink cool
  • A real open-air experience. (I always wished the rear window in the Roadster retracted)
  • Not 1/2, but two full trunks. It's like a model S in that respect
  • Easy to get in and out. No chassis rail to climb over
  • Doesn't seem to mind potholes
  • The weight balance is perfect, so the handling is better
  • etc.
Now don't get me wrong, I drive the Tesla anytime I'm not driving over 200 miles. The power makes it much more fun to drive, and it's even cooler looking and more exotic. Most people here in Mass have never seen one. But the Boxster has proven to be more reliable. In the end, I kept them both, so my wife's car sits outside.;)

Reactions: Tex EV
I own both these cars. I intended to sell my Boxster when I bought my Roadster, but I didn't expect the Roadster to make me appreciate the Boxster more. The Porsche is a lot slower as almost all ICE cars are, but I didn't appreciate the time engineers spent on the little things until I drove a car that doesn't have them. These include:
  • Power convertible roof
  • 2 real cupholders, placed in front of the air conditioning vents to keep your drink cool
  • A real open-air experience. (I always wished the rear window in the Roadster retracted)
  • etc.
Now don't get me wrong, I drive the Tesla anytime I'm not driving over 200 miles. The power makes it much more fun to drive, and it's even cooler looking and more exotic. Most people here in Mass have never seen one. But the Boxster has proven to be more reliable. In the end, I kept them both, so my wife's car sits outside.;)

Bill -

funny enough, I might say almost the same thing point for point about why I kept my 1961 Cadillac convertible (except for the handling point and the cup holders ;-))

We are in a lucky position being able to have different cars to scratch different itches.

interesting points! I do agree. I have only owned my Roadster for less than a year , and this was the first time driving a Porsche.
I felt much more comfortable in the boxster, and didn’t think the wheel would come through the floor on every bump! Also the seats were quite comfortable.
The adrenaline rush from the Tesla made up for it though!!

• Power convertible roof
  • etc.

A real open-air experience. (I always wished the rear window in the Roadster retracted

All valid criticisms of the Tesla Roadster. Two small nits though: (1) I think the Boxter is technically a convertible and not a roadster and (2) it was Tesla’s first car. I suspect the new Roadster will be a closer match for detail.

I would also note that I took a close look at the Porsche Taycan when in Austin for Fully Charged Live and it is a remarkable car despite the limited range. The detail, fit and finish, and interior quality is something Tesla should aspire to.

I also own both cars. A Boxster S since new in 2007 and the Roadster for the last two years. Other than the obvious quickness difference there are many things to like about the Porsche. Please notice I said "quickness" and not "speed." Although the Tesla is much quicker, the Porsche keeps going to the top speed of 167 mph. That extra 40+ mph is really something in the Porsche. (I know, I know, when and where are you going to get the car up to that speed? Well trust me, if you look hard enough there are plenty of places where you can get your car going faster than 75-80 mph...and some of them are actually legal.) I describe the comparison to my friends as a mature, refined, German engineered sports car to a young, harsh, burgeoning British sports car.

The Boxster pluses include: it doesn't rattle like the Roadster; the suspension is MUCH better; the stereo actually makes music sound like it is supposed to; as previously said, it is nice to have a power soft top that goes up and down in 10 seconds, at up to 30 mph; both seats move; it is so much easier to get in and out of; the breaks actually work; Porsche did a great job of wind management so much that you can carry on a conversation at highway speeds with the top down and not be screaming at each other; you can drive it all day long; and it cost less to repair.

The pluses for the Roadster are: it is so rare; the number one comment I get is, "I've never seen one in real life"; litterally EVERYONE wants to talk about it and take a picture of it; and the excelleration is intoxicating.

Having listed the pros and cons, the Roadster is my DD and my Boxster is my garage queen.

Would be nice to explore +140 mph romps, but in most states that will get your car mandatory impounded and you get a reckless driving ticket or jail.

Porsche still make amazingly good cars. Thrilling to drive and connect to the driver...but they are becoming toxic dinosaurs

Reactions: Mark77a