Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Porsche to build charging network, Tesla compatible

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'd agree that it doing so eventually is a sure thing, but the bet that it will do so soon enough to head off climate change disaster
is anything but a sure thing.
Not "eventually", there is clear data showing the US grid is becoming cleaner right now. No need to "bet". :)

As to whether that will stop "climate change disaster", it won't. Before the end of this century the planet will be well over the 2C increase figure that there is so much discussion about. However, we still have to do everything we can to decrease the likelihood of even greater temperature increases.

As someone who lives in coal-fired electricity land, allow me to point out that even adoption of EVs -- by itself -- doesn't necessarily move the needle much on GHGs. If you broaden that skepticism to all fossil-fuel-powered electricity generation -- as you really
should -- the hope dims significantly further. :(

Coal generated electricity is down 20% from 2014 to 2015 alone (from 39% to 33% of total). Renewables are up for that same time period. Fortunately, there is something most of us can PERSONALLY do to help accelerate sustainable energy production. Buy solar panels. Put them on you roof, in your field, or in a solar farm. A year and a half ago, I worked on getting the first privately owned solar farm in Maine going. I am now helping with the sixth one.

Thank you kindly.

Coal generated electricity is down 20% from 2014 to 2015 alone (from 39% to 33% of total). Renewables are up for that same time period. Fortunately, there is something most of us can PERSONALLY do to help accelerate sustainable energy production. Buy solar panels. Put them on you roof, in your field, or in a solar farm. A year and a half ago, I worked on getting the first privately owned solar farm in Maine going. I am now helping with the sixth one.

Thank you kindly.

Yep, doing just that. If only more would do so as well...

Sure, there are lots of reasons to like/prefer EVs strictly on their own merits. Although I care a lot about the greenness considerations,
they were not primary in my choice of a Tesla. I'm curious about the geopolitical reasons that are not functionally equivalent to GHG
concerns -- what would those be?
Off topic, but what I was referring to is decreasing demand for oil decreases the income/influence/power of Russia, Saudi Arabia and other Arab states, Iran, etc. For example here's Jim Woolsey (former CIA director) talking about this back in 2010. He was an early advocate of EVs for this reason:
How to End America's Addiction to Oil

Off topic, but what I was referring to is decreasing demand for oil decreases the income/influence/power of Russia, Saudi Arabia and other Arab states, Iran, etc. For example here's Jim Woolsey (former CIA director) talking about this back in 2010. He was an early advocate of EVs for this reason:
How to End America's Addiction to Oil
Still OT, but...
I thought that might be what you meant. How does moving from directly fossil-fuel burning cars to indirectly fossil-fuel burning EVs
powered by directly fossil-fuel burning power plants meaningfully move that particular needle? The net increase in ounces-of-oil-
per-mile efficiency, while non-zero, doesn't seem large enough to affect geo-politics.

I thought that might be what you meant. How does moving from directly fossil-fuel burning cars to indirectly fossil-fuel burning EVs
powered by directly fossil-fuel burning power plants meaningfully move that particular needle? The net increase in ounces-of-oil-
per-mile efficiency, while non-zero, doesn't seem large enough to affect geo-politics.

Check out Carboncounter | Cars evaluated against climate targets to compare costs, pollution, efficiency across many cars. The EVs are much better in many ways, even when looking at total pollution. It will make a large difference.

Check out Carboncounter | Cars evaluated against climate targets to compare costs, pollution, efficiency across many cars. The EVs are much better in many ways, even when looking at total pollution. It will make a large difference.
I'm not talking about "many ways" -- I've already agreed that there are many reasons to like/prefer EVs. I'm specifically saying that the
net change in either fossil-fuel consumption or GHG emissions from switching to an EV in the US, at least, today is, on average, not very
large.

I'm not talking about "many ways" -- I've already agreed that there are many reasons to like/prefer EVs. I'm specifically saying that the
net change in either fossil-fuel consumption or GHG emissions from switching to an EV in the US, at least, today is, on average, not very
large.
I guess I am misunderstanding you? It is well known that EVs even with most of their power coming from coal powered plants are still better than ICEs. So, even in the USA, presuming worst case sources, ie on average, switching is still better, and is significant. And it will only improve. Surely it is better to head the right direction than throw up your hands and give up.

Reactions: Cyclone
As someone who lives in coal-fired electricity land, allow me to point out that even adoption of EVs -- by itself -- doesn't necessarily
move the needle much on GHGs. If you broaden that skepticism to all fossil-fuel-powered electricity generation -- as you really
should -- the hope dims significantly further. :(

However don't EV's use the energy more efficiently then ICE do?

Still OT, but...