Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

port remains unlocked below 41 degrees?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just read a weird fact in the Model 3 manual. It says (p124) that the charge port will lock the cable in place when the car is locked, but when ambient temp is 41F or lower it will stay unlocked. Why would this be?
Most likely to prevent it from freezing in place if a bit of water gets in and termerature drops further. Last winter it was a problem for me that required manually pulling the cable release handle.

Reactions: HyperionMark
Just read a weird fact in the Model 3 manual. It says (p124) that the charge port will lock the cable in place when the car is locked, but when ambient temp is 41F or lower it will stay unlocked. Why would this be?

Yeah, this is a software workaround for a hardware design defect.

As others said, charging cables were getting stuck in the charge ports.

To me this is wholly unacceptable since now it means my UMC is vulnerable to theft if temps dip below 41 at night.

I had heard Tesla was working on an upgraded part that could solve this in other ways. Does anyone here have confirmation of that?

Mine is still unlocking when charging is done. However i haven't checked when i am not close to the car. Maybe it unlocks only if it senses your key ?

I had the clicking sound with the old one as it was trying to lock or unlock while it was blocked by the ice. The only remedy i found was a hair dryer...