Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Portable 12 V car battery charger recommendations.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I searched through the threads before posting, and I apologize if answered elsewhere.

I was planning on getting a portable car battery charger for my Honda Pilot for the winter. Is there a recommendation for a portable charger that would work on the Honda and my Model 3LR?
Thank you for any recommendations!!

Reactions: house9
Upvote 0
When would you use it on the M3? The 12V battery is charged from the main battery as required.
Many folks have had a Model 3 12 volt battery failure without warning after 2-3 years (rendering the car inoperable). Some people get a warning just before this happens, but many don't. And if you think of all the times and places you drive and use your car, you could be in a pretty out-of-the-way place if/when the 12v battery fails. Tesla mobile service could help (if you're still under warranty), but it could be at a very inconvenient time or after hours, etc. The doors won't open, the frunk won't open, etc. You're dead in the water.

After removing the round cover on the tow hook on your front bumper, you can use one of these portable batteries to connect to the two wires that will pop out and it will allow you to open the motorized frunk latch so that the 12v battery can be replaced and maybe even get you going enough so you can drive to a service center, etc. So they are definitely nice to have around...Probably best to leave at home so you have access to it and not in the frunk/trunk...

Upvote 0
Many folks have had a Model 3 12 volt battery failure without warning after 2-3 years (rendering the car inoperable). Some people get a warning just before this happens, but many don't. And if you think of all the times and places you drive and use your car, you could be in a pretty out-of-the-way place if/when the 12v battery fails. Tesla mobile service could help (if you're still under warranty), but it could be at a very inconvenient time or after hours, etc. The doors won't open, the frunk won't open, etc. You're dead in the water.

After removing the round cover on the tow hook on your front bumper, you can use one of these portable batteries to connect to the two wires that will pop out and it will allow you to open the motorized frunk latch so that the 12v battery can be replaced and maybe even get you going enough so you can drive to a service center, etc. So they are definitely nice to have around...Probably best to leave at home so you have access to it and not in the frunk/trunk...
Thank you. So essentially any portable car charger battery will work. I was worried about the connection points and the cables being able to be latched on t the Tesla wires.

Upvote 0

You are really talking about two things.

A Power supply and a charger.

The portable battery won’t charge the battery properly. But you might be able to plug a charger into a portable battery.

Batteries charge at around 15-16V. Portable batteries output 12V.

I don’t think you can charge through the emergency port.

But here is a light weight solution of getting into the car.

Upvote 0