Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Portable adaptors

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all,

I am taking delivery of my Model 3 on Wednesday, and after working out where all the different charging stations are in my area (Geelong), it seems I won't be able to use some of them.
I have a tesla wall charger at home, but is there an essential (for Australia) connector/ adaptor I need to purchase and keep in the car?
I have done a search, but not coming up with a definitive answer, if someone can point me to a thread it would be appreciated and I can delete this one.

TIA

The main "essential" one is a Type2-Type2 cable. You can get it from Tesla or other retailers such as EVSE, JetCharge, Evolution Australia, or even Bunnings!

The others you may want are not really as vital. You may hear about Type1-Type2 adaptors or 3-phase portable charging kits. For most people you'd rarely need these.

Note that Tesla Owners Club of Australia members can borrow charging equipment for those rare occasions that you do long distance remote travelling where these adaptors may come in handy!

And also note you will shortly have a Supercharger in Geelong.

If you've got good access to home charging and average under 150km a day, I'd say the Type2-2 is more optional, it's more of an essential for those without

Reactions: mike_j
And also note you will shortly have a Supercharger in Geelong.

If you've got good access to home charging and average under 150km a day, I'd say the Type2-2 is more optional, it's more of an essential for those without
Thanks. Day to day is no issue, it's more not getting caught out if I use a charger different to superchargers.
Does chargefox need an additional adaptor?

I dont see why you would need any additional cable. There are quite a few AC chargers around that area that require you to bring a cable (and some that dont), but there are also a number of DC chargers. All DC chargers have their own cable.
If you're going for a road trip, you're probably going to be seeking out DC fast chargers
(Tesla SC/Chargefox/EVIE...), not slow AC ones.

22kW is the better buy.
Both will give you a max of 11kW at a 3-phase site (limit of the TM3 internal charger)

But the cheaper one will only give you 3.5kW at a single phase AC site (minority but there are some).

And as above - all DC chargers (which include the Tesla Superchargers and Evie/Chargefox 50/350kW will come with cables.

It's only some slower AC chargers that are BYO.

Reactions: one4spl
But the cheaper one will only give you 3.5kW at a single phase AC site (minority but there are some).
I keep reading about Type 2 single phase outlets but have yet to come across one. If you actually know of any could you share its/their location?

@BUMBYKNUCKLES Every Tesla (except classic-nose MS with dual chargers and MS/MX Raven owners with the 17kW charger) would be adequately served with a 11kW 3phase Type2 to Type 2 cable, so unless you know in advance you'll definitely plug into a single phase Type 2 outlet then IMHO the 22kW cable is over-kill, is heavier to store, carry and handle. And the 11kW version is cheaper by $49 here.

However, it wouldn't surprise me if the Cybertruck comes with 22kW charging capability so if you had one on order then a 22kW cable then becomes a no-brainer...

Near me (in Sydney's East - 2 of the 10 tri-council units)

In Canterbury (2 of 2)

Reactions: Nickdp
Near me (in Sydney's East - 2 of the 10 tri-council units)

In Canterbury (2 of 2)
Thanks moa999. Your reply was informative.
It is a pity Plugshare doesn't allow a bit more granularity in its filters, Type 2 connectors are not differentiated on # of phases.:eek:.
So to get the maximum charging rate a 22kW Type 2 cable makes sense.

Reactions: race4life81
I am taking delivery of my Model 3 on Wednesday, and after working out where all the different charging stations are in my area (Geelong), it seems I won't be able to use some of them. I have a tesla wall charger at home, but is there an essential (for Australia) connector/ adaptor I need to purchase and keep in the car?
Arguably, it is not ‘essential’ to get any connectors or adaptors with Model 3. With CCS2, you can take it to any DCFC (except for a tiny number still around that have CCS1) and use any AC charger with a tethered Type 2 plug on it. This will cover the vast, vast majority of public charging needs.

If you want extra peace of mind, there are probably only three extra things you could need:
  • A Type 2 - Type 2 cable that others have mentioned, so that you can use AC chargers that aren’t tethered;
  • A Type 1 - Type 2 adaptor, to use tethered AC chargers that have a J-1772 plug on them; and
  • A 10 metre heavy duty extension lead
I have only purchased the second and third items. For the second, I got this type of adaptor:

I much prefer this adaptor style to the cabled style, which in my view look horrendously ugly, with a panel mount J-1772 socket attached to one end of the cable. No thanks.

I have never used it in 18 months, and I may never use it, but I liked the look of it, it was not very expensive, and it’s compact and I keep it in my box of tricks in the sub-boot.

I‘ve never had the need so far to use a Type 2 - Type 2 cable either. They are a lot more expensive and take up a lot more space In your boot.

I strongly suggest getting a 10m heavy duty extension lead. I bought an industrial one that is rated for 15A but only has a 10A plug on it - so it doesn’t get warm. I use this to charge from the UMC sometimes when staying away from home. I have used it on two trips to charge my car while it is parked in a driveway at rental properties. Just run the lead from the nearest socket, out a window or under a door, to the car.

Great for topping up overnight, especially if you are in a relatively rural / remote location and there are no public chargers of any description within cooee. Worked for me.

Arguably, it is not ‘essential’ to get any connectors or adaptors with Model 3. With CCS2, you can take it to any DCFC (except for a tiny number still around that have CCS1) and use any AC charger with a tethered Type 2 plug on it. This will cover the vast, vast majority of public charging needs.

If you want extra peace of mind, there are probably only three extra things you could need:
  • A Type 2 - Type 2 cable that others have mentioned, so that you can use AC chargers that aren’t tethered;
  • A Type 1 - Type 2 adaptor, to use tethered AC chargers that have a J-1772 plug on them; and
  • A 10 metre heavy duty extension lead
I have only purchased the second and third items. For the second, I got this type of adaptor:

I much prefer this adaptor style to the cabled style, which in my view look horrendously ugly, with a panel mount J-1772 socket attached to one end of the cable. No thanks.

I have never used it in 18 months, and I may never use it, but I liked the look of it, it was not very expensive, and it’s compact and I keep it in my box of tricks in the sub-boot.

I‘ve never had the need so far to use a Type 2 - Type 2 cable either. They are a lot more expensive and take up a lot more space In your boot.

I strongly suggest getting a 10m heavy duty extension lead. I bought an industrial one that is rated for 15A but only has a 10A plug on it - so it doesn’t get warm. I use this to charge from the UMC sometimes when staying away from home. I have used it on two trips to charge my car while it is parked in a driveway at rental properties. Just run the lead from the nearest socket, out a window or under a door, to the car.

Great for topping up overnight, especially if you are in a relatively rural / remote location and there are no public chargers of any description within cooee. Worked for me.
Thankyou! I might wait until I figure I need an adaptor. I was a bit concerned of turning up to a charger and having the wrong connector. But it seems I'll likely be fine, especially day to day anyway.

For occasional regional road-trips join TOCA who have equipment that can be borrowed.
This is a great idea - I know of several new owners who joined TOCA and borrowed adaptors and cables to understand first-hand how they should be used. Seasoned hands may scoff at this ("what's so difficult you just plug it in") but it's a daunting learning curve into the unknown and actually having the cable in your hand is the best way getting that personal experience before committing to a purchase.

Saw these in Bunnings the other day. The left hand cable also has a charger for 10A outlets.

IMG_20210520_121856MP.jpg

• Love
Reactions: Vostok
I discovered a new way to open my charge port door and also to unlock the plug.
For plugs with no push button or you’re over tesla’s button random ability to work and you playing wave the plug til it works, there is the screen, app, keyfob, or….push the left side of the charge port door (model s auto door). It swings open. First time.
Then to unplug without going to screen, app, or fob, there is a small button on the left of the charge port. Unlock the car doors as nomal, and then press this button.
Others may know of this feature….it took me a few years to find it.

• Informative
Reactions: race4life81