Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Portable CHAdeMO Quick Charger

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It makes charging faster if your car has AC charging capability less than the power available from the AC source.

For example, the most AC watts a Leaf can take is about 6,000. Some AC (j1772, hpwc) put out 20,000 watts, not many however.

With this contraption a Leaf owner could covert the 20,000 watts AC to 20,000 watts DC and utilize the Chademo port, which is good for something like 50,000 watts DC.

For a Tesla with the dual chargers or 70 amp charging, this would have no use. If you have a single/40 amp charger, and a chademo adapter, and access to an AC source above 10,000 watts, it could speed things up.

I don't really see a use for this with most Tesla owners. Maybe being able to rent it would be nice for a single charger Tesla owner looking to utilize the Sun Country highway in Canada.

• Helpful
Reactions: hiroshiy
Ok, that makes sense. I couldn't figure out how it was faster if it was drawing the same amount of power from the source. Circumventing the bottle neck from the onboard AC charger makes sense in those other vehicles.

I actually have testing this unit (and I'm in the DC charging business). It's complete junk.

There are some others from China that are low priced, and relatively small, that I like.

As everybody already has figured out, if your are plugging a 10kW or less DC charger into a 50 amp circuit, you already have a 10kW charging sitting under your rear seat. Just plug in the UMC.

If you had a high quality portable 20-50kW charger, where would you plug it in?

• Informative
Reactions: GSP
I actually have testing this unit (and I'm in the DC charging business). It's complete junk.

There are some others from China that are low priced, and relatively small, that I like.

As everybody already has figured out, if your are plugging a 10kW or less DC charger into a 50 amp circuit, you already have a 10kW charging sitting under your rear seat. Just plug in the UMC.

If you had a high quality portable 20-50kW charger, where would you plug it in?

Have you come across anything interesting in regard to low power, consumer level chademo?

I hope someone will come out with a mini chademo/Supercharger that would allow businesses, or even homeowners, to DC charge in the 30-50kw range.

Have you come across anything interesting in regard to low power, consumer level chademo?

I hope someone will come out with a mini chademo/Supercharger that would allow businesses, or even homeowners, to DC charge in the 30-50kw range.
That is not "mini CHAdeMO" that is normal commercial CHAdeMO. The 100A DC CHAdeMO made by BTC Power takes 120Y208V 3-phase power at 160 amps per phase. That is the minimum service that can support what you're talking about. The more common 50kW CHAdeMO and CCS chargers require 277Y480V power like the Superchargers use. A Supercharger cabinet needs 192 amps per phase while a 50kW station only needs 75 amps per phase.

• Informative
Reactions: GSP and Rocky_H
LOL. what he is saying is "Its not going to happen". Unless they start bringing 480v to residential ;), but again, never going to happen. I think 100amp 240v is going to be the max you are going to see in the EV market for all manufactures for residential use.

So if a house/business had 30kw extra capacity, 240v / 150a minus 20%, a DC option is not viable?

I don't have a lot of technical knowledge on the subject. Thanks.

It is possible, but very few people will do it. I think we will have access to a single phase powered DC charger in the near future that is available as a 10kW unit or 20kW that will pass my quality tests. You should be able to plug it into your TESLA CHAdeMO adapter and charge away. But, why would you want to?

Any Tesla car, the cars were / are available with AC power at 70 amps, 72 amps, or 80 amps. Just provide the correct AC charge station.

The exception would be a non-Tesla car, which are universally limited to 30 amps AC, with the occasional and rare 40 amp car (2012-2014 Toyota RAV4 EV and 2014 - newer Mercedes B-Class ED / B250e). Any of these lowered powered cars would certainly benefit from an at-home DC fast charger, if you really needed that type of service. If you also owned a Tesla or two, sure, that would be awesome.

DISCLAIMER: I have a CHAdeMO charger at my house... but I'm crazy.

So if a house/business had 30kw extra capacity, 240v / 150a minus 20%, a DC option is not viable?

I don't have a lot of technical knowledge on the subject. Thanks.
The problem is that there are not many external DC chargers that run on single phase. It is much easier to rectify 3 phase power. Also, the equipment is expensive to the point that it's not worth doing if it's not more than twice as fast as the alternative. 72 amp or 80 amp upgrades to the Tesla on-board charger are much more cost effective than an external DC charger would be.

This is my favorite example of a portable external DC charger. A complete setup with CHAdeMO output cable and Euro 3-phase AC input cable is over 20,000 Euros for only 22kW DC charging.

Mobiler DC Schnelllader MDC22 von Designwerk

This fills a very specific need in Europe where 3-phase 22kW charge points are common and cars like the VW e-Golf have a CCS DC port as standard but the on-board charger is only available as single phase 3.6kW.

I stumbled upon this discussion by chance, but recently me and some friends have been talking about this charger and how well it would work. Sad to know it's junk.
If you don't mind me asking, what other chinese chargers have you seen that seem better to you? In my EV community a lot of us have cars with those bottlenecked on-board chargers so something like this is interesting, if it does work well enough.