Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Portable charging cable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I almost exclusively use the charging cable as i don't have access to a tethered charger

I leave the cable in the boot but am a tiny bit concerned that during the winter it'll be covered in dirt and probably wet when i come to put it back into the boot after charging.

Just wondering if anyone has come across a solution for a fixed charging cable tray type thing that can go in the boot to house the mucky cable. Something that would be attached to the inside top of the boot ..?

I almost exclusively use the charging cable as i don't have access to a tethered charger

I leave the cable in the boot but am a tiny bit concerned that during the winter it'll be covered in dirt and probably wet when i come to put it back into the boot after charging.

Just wondering if anyone has come across a solution for a fixed charging cable tray type thing that can go in the boot to house the mucky cable. Something that would be attached to the inside top of the boot ..?
Use the frunk? It's pretty water resistant (some people fill it with ice to cool their drinks)

I have a round zipped waterproof bag for my cable (plenty on Amazon) ... lives in the frunk. Thankfully I don't need to use the cable much as I can't really see any method that is going to allow you to avoid messy hands.

I have a round zipped waterproof bag for my cable (plenty on Amazon) ... lives in the frunk. Thankfully I don't need to use the cable much as I can't really see any method that is going to allow you to avoid messy hands.
I used to use a cable quite a bit and I found it hard to get the cable into and out of one of those bags particularly while wet. They are good if you use it rarely but not great for in and out in and out.
In the end I settled on a very classy solution of a bag for life 😂
1666285549565.png

easy to get the cable into and out of when dirty and wet, water proof enough to keep it all away from the car . Straight in the underfloor boot space. job done.

Surprisingly I've found that other than a little bit wet, the cable doesn't seem to get all that dirty. I've got a rubber lipped mat in my boot, so I just throw the cable back in there and any excess water evaporates within a few hours.

Reactions: init6
My boot tends to be full of football gear for the team i coach and the frunk isn't a great option as i set the charge up from the in car screen and won't have time to run round the frunk, open and close it and then make it to the charge point on the car in time before it closes which i just about get away with when it's in the boot.

I was hoping for some sort of tray that clips to the underside top of the boot

My boot tends to be full of football gear for the team i coach and the frunk isn't a great option as i set the charge up from the in car screen and won't have time to run round the frunk, open and close it and then make it to the charge point on the car in time before it closes which i just about get away with when it's in the boot.

Can't you just press your fingers on the charge port to open it while the car is unlocked?

Reactions: init6

You mean you open the charge port from inside the car and you think it may be closed by the time you get the cable from the frunk rather than the boot? Press the charge port door and it will open again. If you want a boot shelf it looks like you are going to have to design your own ... who knows you may sell a few!

Needing to also use that charge point for a car that does not use a type two cable and asthetics are two that come to mind.
Yes the type 2 alternative was the one that slipped my mind. I realise that some people do worry about aesthetics too … but it’s just a coil of cable… the negative aesthetics of a dirty wet car boot plus the extra time and faff makes the choice clear for me!

Is there a difference between a single phase and 3 phase charging cable? (I charge at a work using 3 phase)

Yes. A 3 phase cable has more internal wires, so is potentially thicker/heavier/less flexible. It is also likely to be more expensive, like for like.

However, if you only want to use it to charge at home and that is a typical domestic single phase setup, then you only need single phase. But if there is a chance that you may want to use it to charge at work, or abroad, then a 3 phase may be beneficial. The one supplied with the car is 3 phase/32a.

You will need a 32a cable though, as 7kW is 32a. At work though, your 3 phase will be 3 x 16a, at least into a Model 3/Y which is limited to 11kW. So if you want to charge at 7kW at home, then you will need a 32a version.

Yes. A 3 phase cable has more internal wires, so is potentially thicker/heavier/less flexible. It is also likely to be more expensive, like for like.

However, if you only want to use it to charge at home and that is a typical domestic single phase setup, then you only need single phase. But if there is a chance that you may want to use it to charge at work, or abroad, then a 3 phase may be beneficial. The one supplied with the car is 3 phase/32a.

You will need a 32a cable though, as 7kW is 32a. At work though, your 3 phase will be 3 x 16a, at least into a Model 3/Y which is limited to 11kW. So if you want to charge at 7kW at home, then you will need a 32a version.
Thanks, stupid question but will a 3 phase charger charge quicker using a 3 phase charge point, or is there little difference

Thanks, stupid question but will a 3 phase charger charge quicker using a 3 phase charge point, or is there little difference
Yes, Tesla support 3 phase at 16amps, so 11kWh max.
vs. a single phase at 32amps which delivers 7.4kWh.
So that's 50% faster.

Keep in mind that you are constrained by the lowest element : if the charge point is single phase there is no benefit in using a 3 phase cable, as there is only 1 live terminal.
But if the charge point is 3 phase, you need the 3 phase cable as otherwise the two other live terminals are simply not wired to the car onboard charger.