Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Portable Charging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've plugged into some risky sockets in my lifetime. ;)

Me too. Just see a doctor afterward. ;)

I should get one of these and tow it behind a Model X.

60 kW HMMWV-Towable Generator Trailer

60 kw of power anywhere with a 55 gallon diesel tank! If the moving while plugged in safety feature were turned off think of the range you could have :). Even if you were getting 500 Wh/mile going 60 mph down the freeway while towing you'd still only need to run this bad boy at half load :D

Me too. Just see a doctor afterward. ;)

I should get one of these and tow it behind a Model X.

60 kW HMMWV-Towable Generator Trailer

60 kw of power anywhere with a 55 gallon diesel tank! If the moving while plugged in safety feature were turned off think of the range you could have :). Even if you were getting 500 Wh/mile going 60 mph down the freeway while towing you'd still only need to run this bad boy at half load :D
That sounds amazing. Until you think about the range you could have if you towed an extra 55 gallon tank behind (or the back of?) a regular SUV. I kinda want to do the math to see which would be longer.

That sounds amazing. Until you think about the range you could have if you towed an extra 55 gallon tank behind (or the back of?) a regular SUV. I kinda want to do the math to see which would be longer.

My brother in law has a BMW X5d that can get nearly 600 miles of range with the factory 21 gallon tank. Adding 55 more gallons of diesel would increase the range to a bladder busting 2172 miles! The Model X towing a 60 kw generator would be nowhere near that

My brother in law has a BMW X5d that can get nearly 600 miles of range with the factory 21 gallon tank. Adding 55 more gallons of diesel would increase the range to a bladder busting 2172 miles! The Model X towing a 60 kw generator would be nowhere near that
Heh, reminds me of our Volkswagen Jetta TDI that we had converted with a Greasecar kit to run on vegetable oil too with a parallel fuel system. It had the regular tank for diesel, and then in the back, where the spare tire normally sat, it had a cylindrical drum tank for the veg oil that was also about the same 15 gallons. So it could drive uninterrupted about 1,000 miles.

Agreed: Plan ahead.

What I don't hear much of is that you can get more range simply by slowing down. It's a bunch cheaper and easier than dragging around a polluting, inefficient gas generator. If I need to make a 250 mile jump, I check out plugshare.com and get familiar with where any 220v outlets are. RV parks are common, even more so out in the "boonies". Even in Death Valley! A one hour charge is often all you need to "make it" to your destination, but even then, slowing down might not take as much time.

Once you figure out how to use your range estimator on the dash, range anxiety is hardly a problem.

2019 expected addition.

hqdefault.jpg

No more range anxiety. Recharge your battery at .01KW per hour!

• Funny
Reactions: Model 3