TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Portable Fridge in Model S

Discussion in 'Model S: Battery & Charging' started by Blathering1, Jun 16, 2014.

1. Blathering1

Blathering1 Remember

We use a 50QT ARB 12vDC portable fridge, and have not setup the Model S for it yet. The powered cooler is superb FWIW. No ice needed, and when you get to your destination, you can plug it into AC power. Perfect for beach weeks, etc.

http://store.arbusa.com/Fridges-C11.aspx

It is very thrifty in terms of energy (Average DC power consumption: 0.7 to 2.3 amp hr: typically drawing an intermittent 1.35 amps per hour from a 12 volt power source).
    I would need to put a 12vDC power outlet in the trunk, or I could perhaps jump the power off the battery and set it in the frunk if it would fit. I am a little leery of tapping the diminutive 12vDC battery on the Tesla though.

Can anyone share insights with setting up fridge freezer or powered cooler for occasional use in the Model S?

2. Cottonwood

Cottonwood Roadster#433, Model S#S37

ARB makes good stuff, this unit looks like it comes with a Cigarette Lighter connector, and will run at less than 15 Amps; see page 11 of the owners manual, http://store.arbusa.com/Assets/file/ARB_Fridge_Freezer_MAN_EN.pdf, as reference. You should be able to plug it into the Tesla Cigarette Lighter power socket and be good to go.

3. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

4. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

Don't they have any 20 quart ones? 40 seems kind of large for carrying a few drinks and a sandwich or two.

5. green1

green1 Active Member

My mini van from 23 years ago had a small box built in between the front seats, ran off the vehicle climate control, had room for about 6 pop cans and had 3 settings hot to keep things warm, cool to act like a fridge, and even ice mode where it would freeze things (came with a small I've cube tray)

Would be a wonderful option on a Tesla. ..

6. wycolo

wycolo Active Member

These 'no moving parts' coolers use DC running thru a series of 2 dissimilar metals; connection A gets cool while connection B gets hot. Neatest thing since sliced bread. Trouble might be in dissipating the heat sufficiently away from the cooler tub. Other than that they can be built any size you want. Nice to know the newer ones are so efficient.
    --

7. islandbayy

islandbayy Active Member

For those interested, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thermoelectric_cooling
    They are rather neat units. I've played around with them quite a bit, and I have a old mid-90's Coleman thermometric cooler that I've used in my Model S when we're working on the railroad (Literally...) I use a 12v cigarette socket that has alligator clamps on it to connect to the 12v terminals under the nose cone and route it inside the frunk (leave frunk open though to exhaust the heat from the cooler). This keeps my boys juice cold and my ice tea, well, not icey, but coold. mine takes a long time to cool down, but maintains temps very well. So I pre-cool our beverages and sandwiches over night, and then put them in already cold. The cooler then keeps them cool for us All day.

8. wcalvin

wcalvin Member

Those Peltier devices that pump heat from one face to another do require big heat sinks and often a fan.
    So just how noisy are the units?

9. green1

green1 Active Member

In an ice vehicle they are so quiet you can't tell if it's on even when you locate it right behind your seat. In a Tesla I can't say, but you'd probably hear the fan. When I hook mine up in the house I can certainly hear it, but I wouldn't call it loud or anything.

10. islandbayy

islandbayy Active Member

mines quiet, uses a PC case fan.

11. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

I can't hear mine in the trunk of my S when at freeway speeds.