Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Portable Generator Recommendations for Road Trip from California to Alaska

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi All,

I know there have been a few folks who've made the trip from the lower 48 to Alaska, so I'm looking for some advice. Based on my research, the folks who did it previously relied on RV sites or welding shops to charge their car, but I was thinking something different. I was thinking of getting a scooter rack and putting it on the back of the X (from the trailer hitch) and then getting a (relatively) portable generator and strapping it in. I'm not expecting any problems there, but my big concern is around the type of generator I should go with.

Right now I'm leaning towards the following: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07Q1DLKB...13774808.1654397205&tag=brg_ana_exp_4-20&th=1

This is a 50amp 240v generator with a 6 gallon tank. I could always go with something a little bigger (in both tank capacity and overall power output), but this should give me the ~6-8 hours of charge time to get my X topped up (75kwh battery with around 200 miles of range). In doing some research, there is also the issue of Harmonic Distortion. This is what I was really hoping to get people's opinion on. The generator I linked to above has a Harmonic Distortion of 23%, which based on my research is on the high side. Over time, it can damage sensitive electronics, which I'm guessing our Teslas qualify as. So, my ultimate question is: does anyone here regularly charge their Tesla from a generator? If so, are you aware of Harmonic Distortion, and if so, what number would you recommend?

On another note, the last Supercharger is in a place called Prince George, BC. From there, it's ~1700 miles to Anchorage, which is where I'm hoping to get to. So, 3400 miles roundtrip that I'll have to be relying on a generator for power (barring any RV stops along the way). By my math, if I get a HPWC and slap a 14-50 plug on it, I should be able to get ~29 miles of range per hour, or ~25 miles of range per hour if I go with the standard Tesla charger. The plan will then be to charge over night (obviously), starting with a full battery. Drive ~150-180 miles, stop and charge/explore for 6-8 hours, then drive another 150-180 miles and stop for the night (sunlight won't be a problem that far north). At that rate, we'd be making 300-360 miles a day, which means it'll take us 5-5.5 days to make the trip from Prince George to Anchorage. In all, I'm budgeting 14 days to get there and back, plus another 7 days to get from the Bay Area to Prince George and back.

This will be my fourth major roadtrip in the X. The previous two were cross country trips to New York and New England and back, and the first one being to Vancouver, Calgary, Yellowstone, and back. So I've logged some pretty extensive trips in the X, but this one would be the ultimate. Any and all advice is welcome!

Thanks!

Reactions: jiehan
You would want an inverter generator if you want clean power... but I don't think any of them have a 14-50r... at least not any I've seen. If you are ok with a max of 30amp max, then the Predator 9500 from Harbor Freight is good. I am a Honda guy, but it's hard to justify 2X the cost for an EU7000is unless you go used at around $3500.

Upvote 0
Seems to me that I'd just make sure I found all those charging sites before I left home so I wouldn't have to haul a heavy generator behind me. I'd also put the thing on a small trailer instead of bolting it to the back of the car. Your trip would convince a lot of potential EV owners to stick with a gas car.

Upvote 0
Seems to me that I'd just make sure I found all those charging sites before I left home so I wouldn't have to haul a heavy generator behind me. I'd also put the thing on a small trailer instead of bolting it to the back of the car. Your trip would convince a lot of potential EV owners to stick with a gas car.
Well, having driven Teslas cross country multiple times, I've learned to be prepared. I have mapped all of the potential RV-based charging stops, but I'd rather have the insurance policy of a generator in case we end up stranded. It's not like Tesla roadside assistance is going to be much of a help. As for towing vs scooter attachment, if it's just the generator, using a trailer adds unnecessary weight, drag, and hassle (in terms of towing/parking a trailer). I've been able to narrow down potential generators to something around 100lbs. That's not really all that heavy.

As for dissuading potential EV drivers, I'm not sure how this would accomplish that. Right now there are 0 EVs operating in this area. In doing this, I'm showing people that with a little money and some ingenuity, you can take your EVs even to places once thought completely inaccessible to EVs.

Upvote 0
You would want an inverter generator if you want clean power... but I don't think any of them have a 14-50r... at least not any I've seen. If you are ok with a max of 30amp max, then the Predator 9500 from Harbor Freight is good. I am a Honda guy, but it's hard to justify 2X the cost for an EU7000is unless you go used at around $3500.
I've been able to find an inverter generator with a 14-50r, but it tops out at 30amps. That seems to be the upper end for inverter-type generators (all seem to be around 7000w running). That said, I've been pleasantly surprised at the amount of RV stops along the route from Prince George to Alaska, so I think I'll be able to get by without using the generator at all. All the same, I'm still going to take one, just in case some of these RV stops are out of service for whatever reason. Then I've at least got the ability to charge at 23 miles of range/hour, which is what most of the RV stops offer anyway.

My next big thought is this approach will get me all the way to Fairbanks. It's only 180 road miles from there to the Arctic Circle. The road is apparently gravel for a good deal of that, but in the summer that'll still mostly be ok. Being so close, it'd be awfully tempting to drive that last stretch, but I'd absolutely need a generator to pull it off, as there are no RV stops along that road.

Upvote 1