Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Portable hard drive recommendations?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does anyone have any portable hard drive recommendations to replace the USB stick that came with my M3?

there are many recommendations complete with reasons - search USB drive, or dashcam or Sentry drive or usb solid state drive.

It sorta depends if you want to partition it for music and dashcam video or if you want to just plug in a drive and forget about it.

it seems like 128 GB is sufficient for usb video storage, but 1TB solid state hard drive are robust and flexible.

I use a 1 TB Samsung solid state drive after having worn out three or four USB sticks.

Upvote 0
From what I've been reading the Samsung T7 SSD seems to be the favourite. The smallest size available for that is 500gb which seems like overkill for just dashcam and sentry usage. Is there a reason people stay away from the USB sticks?

My SSD doesn’t seem to wear out. USB sticks do wear out. Extreme Video photocards in a usb holder are somewhat popular.

500 Gb is overkill, but a quality manufacturer of a SSD will last.

You can buy USB sticks, use them to failure (one year?) buy another and continue.

There are hundreds of posts on which USB or SSD is best. It seems like there are multiple good enough answers for everyone’s solution. There is no, IMO, perfect long lasting 128 GB USB stick for fast video writing.

YMMV.

Upvote 0
Does anyone have any portable hard drive recommendations to replace the USB stick that came with my M3?

Upvote 0
From what I've been reading the Samsung T7 SSD seems to be the favourite. The smallest size available for that is 500gb which seems like overkill for just dashcam and sentry usage. Is there a reason people stay away from the USB sticks?
Depends on how often you want to have to clean out the clips you want to keep, and how long you want to keep Sentry Mode clips for. Using a Samsung USB I find I have to clear my sentry mode clips every few days (deleting ones that nothing really shows on) and transferring any saved clips each month if I want to keep anything I want saved from being overwritten.

Upvote 0