Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Portable refrigerators for Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We use the Massimo CX50 from Costco. It regularly goes on sale a few times a year for $275. It doesn’t fit in the subtrunk of the Y but we didn’t care about that since we prefer to have access to it while in the car. It has worked out great on trips, keeps everything cold and dry, and will eventually pay for itself by not having to buy ice. We even take it to swim meets and I power it with a portable battery.

https://www.costco.com/massimo-cx50-12v-portable-e-kooler.product.100566509.html

Reactions: Itsuo-DC
We use the Massimo CX50 from Costco. It regularly goes on sale a few times a year for $275. It doesn’t fit in the subtrunk of the Y but we didn’t care about that since we prefer to have access to it while in the car. It has worked out great on trips, keeps everything cold and dry, and will eventually pay for itself by not having to buy ice. We even take it to swim meets and I power it with a portable battery.

https://www.costco.com/massimo-cx50-12v-portable-e-kooler.product.100566509.html
Great to have those wheels! I almost threw my back out picking up my fridge, with 500Wh battery on top, over the holiday weekend. The next one I get will definitely be a little bigger and have wheels.

An overkill option for when the car is parked and pulling from a portable source (GZ Yeti 500x).

6A4E7FD2-7481-400B-AD74-05226C5EE380.jpeg

Also, below is a standard camping set up when sun is available. In this configuration, the solar completely offset the fridge.

5B162D31-C501-4E09-A51D-7D342B9CC2F9.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: Physicslawyer
This is my setup

View attachment 822076View attachment 822077

It's not the prettiest thing but it works. I've taken this setup to many camping trips so far, sleeping in the car. We don't carry a tent. Our Tesla uses Li battery.

It uses a small 222wh rechargeable battery rated at 100w you see in this picture, pulling power from that "12v" socket from Tesla. Then it provides more reliable "12v" pure sign wave power to the fridge. This particular fridge pulls around 50w-ish normally and goes up to 80w-ish at the startup. Battery never heats up, just mildly warm to the touch.

When you are not using the car, this battery will keep the fridge going for 4 hours or so. When you are driving, or in "camp mode", obviously it will fill up and also power the fridge. The battery default to DC output (although, 110v is available), so if it completely drains itself, it will power back the fridge nicely if you use DC.

Not the prettiest thing I have ever created, but it vents and doesn't overheat. Vents of this fridge are all on the front and right side of the unit. Doesn't produce much heat even when set to coldest freezer setting. Ice creams harden up just fine, over time.

We plan to take this setup (along with other camping gear, including Exped Mega mat) for 3-week long trip east, and a month+ long trip this winter down south.
what kind of battery and how much it cost?

Thanks everyone for a detailed thread. Just wanted to pitch in my two cents as there is a fridge/freezer combo that also fits the trunk of the Model Y. This is the 32qt AcoPower Lioncooler X30 with the two wheels (2 hex) and handle removed (4 philips). It fits perfectly, the lid is flushed, and it vents on the right side and rear. I think this might be the largest capacity that you can fit in the sub trunk as far as I can tell.

Additional Images:
Images

Fridge - Imgur.jpg

Get a Pelican 14QT Cooler for the sub trunk (or something bigger if you can compromise space). I've arguably done the most research anyone will do on coolers/12v powered fridges for a car.... I'm going to be living in my car here shortly so I had to know exactly what to have. Pelicans are by far the best.

Frankly, having a powered cooler fridge is overrated. The price ($500-1000 more than traditional coolers), combined with maintenance will only beat out a standard cooler/roto-molded cooler if you need very specific temperature control for extended periods of time (10+ days).

Pelican Coolers have been known to go 14, yes, 14 days for ice retention without breaking surface ice tension when in 70*F weather. Why would you spend the extra $500-1000 on a powered cooler fridge if you're just going to do casual camping / staying in the car? Ice is readily accessible at most any stop, and even if you camp for 5 days, a Pelican will keep the interior of the cooler below 50*F for the entire time period.

Reactions: Ormond and nate704
Get a Pelican 14QT Cooler for the sub trunk (or something bigger if you can compromise space). I've arguably done the most research anyone will do on coolers/12v powered fridges for a car.... I'm going to be living in my car here shortly so I had to know exactly what to have. Pelicans are by far the best.

Frankly, having a powered cooler fridge is overrated. The price ($500-1000 more than traditional coolers), combined with maintenance will only beat out a standard cooler/roto-molded cooler if you need very specific temperature control for extended periods of time (10+ days).

Pelican Coolers have been known to go 14, yes, 14 days for ice retention without breaking surface ice tension when in 70*F weather. Why would you spend the extra $500-1000 on a powered cooler fridge if you're just going to do casual camping / staying in the car? Ice is readily accessible at most any stop, and even if you camp for 5 days, a Pelican will keep the interior of the cooler below 50*F for the entire time period.
Well, for one our e-cooler was $275 and we did a few 3-day camping trips and spent $20 on ice each time. It was 95 degree days and the regular cooler wasn’t cutting it. We pack it with meat, eggs, milk, and other drinks and snacks. Sometimes ice at a campsite is easily available at the host’s site and other times we had to go outside the campsite to the nearby general store. Having an electric cooler was easily worth it to us and we utilize it more often than the old cooler.

Last edited:
Whether you have a 12v lead acid or Lithium in the Y they are both similar in capacity which is nothing to write home about . While under way the main battery will keep them up to charge however once stopped the juice stops flowing to the 12v outlets so you do need a place to plug it in. Connecting directly to the Y's onboard battery will kill it in a few hours if the car is not running so not a good alternative.

That being said, normally at destination one has power so not really an issue however in some cases you may be out of luck. A good size lithium power pack is a good alternative but do not come cheap. I got mine from Aliexpress (1000WH) for about $800 US however it will come in handy for a bunch of other stuff also.

The fridge/freezer lasts a couple days on the pack in fridge mode, have not tested it in freezer mode however I assume at least a 24 hours.

You can plug the power pack into the 12v car socket and the fridge into the power pack while under way, this way the pack remains fully charged and will supply power keeping everything cool if you stop for dinner or whatever. Once you are on your way it will charge once more.

IMG_0187.jpg
IMG_0189.jpg

Whether you have a 12v lead acid or Lithium in the Y they are both similar in capacity which is nothing to write home about . While under way the main battery will keep them up to charge however once stopped the juice stops flowing to the 12v outlets so you do need a place to plug it in. Connecting directly to the Y's onboard battery will kill it in a few hours if the car is not running so not a good alternative.

That being said, normally at destination one has power so not really an issue however in some cases you may be out of luck. A good size lithium power pack is a good alternative but do not come cheap. I got mine from Aliexpress (1000WH) for about $800 US however it will come in handy for a bunch of other stuff also.

The fridge/freezer lasts a couple days on the pack in fridge mode, have not tested it in freezer mode however I assume at least a 24 hours.

You can plug the power pack into the 12v car socket and the fridge into the power pack while under way, this way the pack remains fully charged and will supply power keeping everything cool if you stop for dinner or whatever. Once you are on your way it will charge once more.

View attachment 830375View attachment 830376
Are you sure this true if Sentry Mode is on? I thought the main battery keeps the 12v battery topped up if Sentry is on. Because otherwise, leaving the car with Sentry mode on for a few days would drain the 12v battery and NOT drain the main battery which is the opposite of what happens. I've left my fridge connected to the 12v outlet when sentry mode is on and it keeps working until the car goes to sleep, that's when the 12v outlet shuts off.

Are you sure this true if Sentry Mode is on? I thought the main battery keeps the 12v battery topped up if Sentry is on. Because otherwise, leaving the car with Sentry mode on for a few days would drain the 12v battery and NOT drain the main battery which is the opposite of what happens. I've left my fridge connected to the 12v outlet when sentry mode is on and it keeps working until the car goes to sleep, that's when the 12v outlet shuts off.
Yep, same here. I just keep Sentry Mode on and it keeps the 12V sockets on and powers our electric cooler off the HV battery all day. The HV battery could power our cooler continuously for over a month so a couple days of camping is nothing. No risk of draining the car’s 12V battery…well, unless the HV battery went dead but we wouldn’t let that happen.

Reactions: Physicslawyer
Well no I am not sure but will certainly give it a whirl. Thanks for the heads up.