Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Portable refrigerators for Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have an Alpicool K25 with Bluetooth. To my surprise it fits perfectly in the sub trunk of our '21 MYLR. The vents are not blocked although there isn't a lot of room around them. I'm currently testing it in our MY. I put in about five frozen water bottles and set the temp to 37 degrees. Once the fridge reached 35 degrees I set it to ECO mode. I have two Govee bluetooth temp monitors. One in the fridge and one in the sub trunk. Thermometer in sub trunk is reading 77.4 degrees. Car temp (Tesla app) is 81 degrees. Garage temp is 77 degrees. Thermometer velcroed to inside lid of fridge is reading 45.1 degrees. Fridge temp through Alpicool app is reading 35 degrees.

The fridge is plugged into the MYs 12v cigarette plug in the back. For the first hour the car was unlocked and charging. I then unplugged the charge cable and the 12v stayed on. I will leave it that way for about and hour and then lock the car and see if the 12v remains on.

Assuming my fridge doesn't shut down because of inadequate ventilation this could be the perfect fridge for the MY. Unfortunately it doesn't look like it's easy to find the K25 anymore. Amazon just has the K18. I bought our K25 on Amazon in July for $269

1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg
5.jpg

I have an Alpicool K25 with Bluetooth. To my surprise it fits perfectly in the sub trunk of our '21 MYLR. The vents are not blocked although there isn't a lot of room around them. I'm currently testing it in our MY. I put in about five frozen water bottles and set the temp to 37 degrees. Once the fridge reached 35 degrees I set it to ECO mode. I have two Govee bluetooth temp monitors. One in the fridge and one in the sub trunk. Thermometer in sub trunk is reading 77.4 degrees. Car temp (Tesla app) is 81 degrees. Garage temp is 77 degrees. Thermometer velcroed to inside lid of fridge is reading 45.1 degrees. Fridge temp through Alpicool app is reading 35 degrees.

The fridge is plugged into the MYs 12v cigarette plug in the back. For the first hour the car was unlocked and charging. I then unplugged the charge cable and the 12v stayed on. I will leave it that way for about and hour and then lock the car and see if the 12v remains on.

Assuming my fridge doesn't shut down because of inadequate ventilation this could be the perfect fridge for the MY. Unfortunately it doesn't look like it's easy to find the K25 anymore. Amazon just has the K18. I bought our K25 on Amazon in July for $269

View attachment 716313View attachment 716314View attachment 716318View attachment 716319View attachment 716321
Nice, maybe you could put a spacer near the end of the truck so the lid to the fridge zone vents one inch, etc.

I recently bought a Dometic CFX3 55IM in time for a 3-day trip. Kept an eye on how my mileage (MY LR) can get impacted. I would say hardly noticeable even at 25 degF temperature setting and with the ice maker on the whole time. Note: Dometic only suggests 41 degF (typical use I suppose). I plugged the cooler to 120v in the evening (1st night only) and left it unpowered in the car the following evening. It’s too heavy to move around every end of day. I set the battery protection setting to medium. It only seems to run about 1 minute after i get off the car then turns off though i did not pay enough attention to it. I just wanted to make sure the cooler didn’t keep running while i am parked. I only had water, soda, and some snacks in it; nothing i needed to keep frozen or at low temp. I felt the weight during the drive (of course). I am very low on trunk space but i am keeping it.
C17DF789-9D3F-4476-8FDB-327D2C53E203.jpeg

EDC8F3D2-EFE9-4077-A162-DE0F1B9CB6C0.jpeg

47B5E6A1-F416-4916-A802-3D51B9B33F58.jpeg

• Informative
Reactions: Gaige and alexcue
The newer MY has no more lead-acid and hence the 12V is now 16V. Big question, will these fridges still work? Does any one has experience with this? What is in the specifications of these fridge (input voltage range?). I cannot find anything online.

Reactions: Alan903
It looks like that is the ICECO 21QT GO20, which according to their website, holds 28 cans. They also sell a model called the ICECO 32QT JP30, which says it holds 44 cans. That one (JP30) looks like it is just about the exact dimensions of the trunk well.
Trunk well at the base is 23.6" across. The JP30 is 23" across.
Trunk well front to back is 13.8". The JP30 is 13.8" front to back.
Trunk well height is listed at 13.8", but it looks like the lid for the trunk well is actually about 2-3" taller than that, and the JP30 is 15" tall. If I'm right that the trunk well is actually between 15-16" high, then the JP30 fridge might be the best fitting fridge out there.

JP30
GO20

View attachment 688842
I've been watching this one-hope they'll be good deal on July 4th.

This is my setup

fridge1.jpg
fridge2.jpg

It's not the prettiest thing but it works. I've taken this setup to many camping trips so far, sleeping in the car. We don't carry a tent. Our Tesla uses Li battery.

It uses a small 222wh rechargeable battery rated at 100w you see in this picture, pulling power from that "12v" socket from Tesla. Then it provides more reliable "12v" pure sign wave power to the fridge. This particular fridge pulls around 50w-ish normally and goes up to 80w-ish at the startup. Battery never heats up, just mildly warm to the touch.

When you are not using the car, this battery will keep the fridge going for 4 hours or so. When you are driving, or in "camp mode", obviously it will fill up and also power the fridge. The battery default to DC output (although, 110v is available), so if it completely drains itself, it will power back the fridge nicely if you use DC.

Not the prettiest thing I have ever created, but it vents and doesn't overheat. Vents of this fridge are all on the front and right side of the unit. Doesn't produce much heat even when set to coldest freezer setting. Ice creams harden up just fine, over time.

We plan to take this setup (along with other camping gear, including Exped Mega mat) for 3-week long trip east, and a month+ long trip this winter down south.

This is my setup

View attachment 822076View attachment 822077

It's not the prettiest thing but it works. I've taken this setup to many camping trips so far, sleeping in the car. We don't carry a tent. Our Tesla uses Li battery.

It uses a small 222wh rechargeable battery rated at 100w you see in this picture, pulling power from that "12v" socket from Tesla. Then it provides more reliable "12v" pure sign wave power to the fridge. This particular fridge pulls around 50w-ish normally and goes up to 80w-ish at the startup. Battery never heats up, just mildly warm to the touch.

When you are not using the car, this battery will keep the fridge going for 4 hours or so. When you are driving, or in "camp mode", obviously it will fill up and also power the fridge. The battery default to DC output (although, 110v is available), so if it completely drains itself, it will power back the fridge nicely if you use DC.

Not the prettiest thing I have ever created, but it vents and doesn't overheat. Vents of this fridge are all on the front and right side of the unit. Doesn't produce much heat even when set to coldest freezer setting. Ice creams harden up just fine, over time.

We plan to take this setup (along with other camping gear, including Exped Mega mat) for 3-week long trip east, and a month+ long trip this winter down south.
mine 2020 MY lead acid 12v battery-are you saying it won't be good to plug the cooler? What size & brand is the cooler? I was a tent camper-no more and I do have exped mat duo.

This is my setup

[images snipped]

When you say "Then it provides more reliable "12v" pure sign wave power to the fridge." you mean it provides 12 V DC power, right? I've never heard of anything that creates or uses 12 V AC, other than some low voltage yard lights.

mine 2020 MY lead acid 12v battery-are you saying it won't be good to plug the cooler? What size & brand is the cooler? I was a tent camper-no more and I do have exped mat duo.
It should be good. I set it up this way because am able to keep the fridge going even when the car is off. No need to keep the car on camp mode when I'm shopping or taking a break.

Plus, I had that issue of Tesla not providing exactly 12v. Portable batteries seem to have no issues charging off Tesla's 12v socket.

I carry two batteries, one seen above, and the other is a Jackery 1.5kwh / 1.5kw rated, which can power portable induction stove, coffee machine and an air fryer (not at the same time, of course).

• Koolatron Thermoelectric Iceless 12 Volt Cooler Warmer 18 qt (17 L), Electric Portable Car Cooler with DC Plug, Grey and White, for Travel Camping Fishing Trucking, Made in North America
    I bought this on Amazon 6 years ago. No compressor, very quiet. Old technology. 110V or 12V DC. Uses very little energy. I've
    used it in 2 Teslas for many years. Not as cold as units with compressors, but very practical. One professional trucker said he's had it on continuously for 2+ years with no problems. Worked on AC in a hotel if needed.
Koolatron Thermoelectric Iceless 12 Volt Cooler Warmer 18 qt (17 L), Electric Portable Car Cooler with DC Plug, Grey and White, for Travel Camping Fishing Trucking, Made in North America

Reactions: Johnny Vector
It should be good. I set it up this way because am able to keep the fridge going even when the car is off. No need to keep the car on camp mode when I'm shopping or taking a break.

Plus, I had that issue of Tesla not providing exactly 12v. Portable batteries seem to have no issues charging off Tesla's 12v socket.

I carry two batteries, one seen above, and the other is a Jackery 1.5kwh / 1.5kw rated, which can power portable induction stove, coffee machine and an air fryer (not at the same time, of course).
what's the brand & size of the cooler?

The Bearded Tesla guy used one for a road trip. The model is in the video description.