TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Portable Tire Inflators

Discussion in 'Model S' started by Black/Black MS, Nov 28, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Az_Rael

Az_Rael Supporting Member

Hmm, thats too bad about the Tesla accessory ports. I wouldn't have thought they would be so low powered. I know folks will sometimes buy the direct battery terminal connections for the Viars, bypassing the low powered accessory ports, but that isn't an option on a Tesla since the battery terminals arent easily accessed.

I have had good luck with my Viars, and no issues getting my Volt tires to 42psi or my off-road truck tires aired back up after a dirt road jaunt, but maybe I will buy a different one for the Tesla. Stinks because the Viar is awesomely fast and relatively low noise.

2. Andyw2100

Andyw2100 Supporting Member

I can't argue with the facts that others have offered, demonstrating that this compressor should blow the fuse in the Tesla, but I can say that I have been using it for well over a year, and have not blown the fuse yet. (Knock wood!) I'm typically only adding a few pounds of pressure per tire, but I do inflate my tires to 45 PSI. I had bought this compressor at the recommendation of someone here who had said they had been using it successfully.

Also, as for the gauge being crap, I find that it is off, but off predictably. It consistently shows a pressure roughly 5 PSI higher than the actual tire pressure. I "gauge the gauge" each time I use the compressor by comparing the reading it gives when I just begin inflating to the reading my FOBO sensors were providing. I then add the number of pounds of pressure the FOBO showed the tire being low, and when I'm finished the FOBO sensor is generally within .4 PSI of 45 one way or the other.

Perhaps I have gotten lucky with this compressor, but so far, so good.

3. Canuck

Canuck Well-Known Member

I think the gods were actually on the side of all the people who missed the broken bungee cord before you nailed it... ;)

4. vgrinshpun

vgrinshpun Supporting Member

How about all-in-one, high quality and cordless to boot. I've been using this Craftsman cordless for couple of years and can't be happier. The quality, convenience and utility can't be matched.

Sears.com

Snap1.png Snap2.png Snap3.png

5. KenEE

KenEE P1937 Reward Excellence!

I have several 12V and 110V compressors. One thing I learned recently is that a bicycle pump is much faster than waiting on these small compressors. The other day I had eight car tires to do at once (MS and Volt) so I decided to try my manual bicycle pump and it was easy to do two car tires while waiting on my largish/small 110V compressor.

• Like x 1
  6. kort677

kort677 Banned

I use a bicycle hand pump to add a few pounds of pressure to the tires, it does the job and the workout is a side benefit

• Like x 1
  7. gavine

gavine Petrol Head turned EV Enthusiast

I was just going to say that. For so many years I either used gas station pumps or fought with compressors and someone recently turned me on to using a bicycle pump. I never thought it would work, but it works great. I find that 10 pumps adds about 1PSI. Now that I do this, I tend to maintain my tires much better because it's so easy to do so I do it much more often.

8. vgrinshpun

This is similar experience that I had with a cordless pump! If you think about it, most of the inconvenience of regular portable pumps are in that one need to play around with plugging it in, then unplugging, coiling the cord. All of this eliminated with cordless pump, and the one I linked above comes with accurate pressure monitor, so you can just set it up to stop at the desirable pressure. I think that once you try the cordless, nobody will use anything else...

• Informative x 1
  9. Andyw2100

I also have that Craftsman, or a very similar one. I purchased it after someone here recommended it. I found that it actually took quite a while to add a few pounds of pressure--perhaps a minute, or a little less--per pound. The Viair is much, much faster.

Also I would not say the Craftsman gauge is accurate. It changes a lot based on whether or not it is inflating. Like the Viair, it is consistent in how much it is off, but you absolutely can not take the Craftsman gauge at face value.

10. vgrinshpun

Your must have different inflator than the one I linked in my OP, or your battery was discharged. I just went to garage and checked my Craftsman cordless inflator - it works more than 4 times faster than what you observed - adds 1psi per 14 seconds for the 245/45R19 tires, or more than 4psi per minute.

As for accuracy, the guge is measuring two different values: one when tire is being inflated, another - at rest. It is just physics: in order to pump air into the tire the pressure at the outlet of the hose needs to be higher than the pressure in the tire, otherwise air will not be forced into the tire. The pressure differential between measurement during the inflation and at rest therefore has nothing to do with the accuracy of the gauge. When inflating the pressure at the gauge located in the handle is inherently higher than the pressure at the outlet of the hose. This is true for any gauge located in line with the inflator. This differential is what you apparently confusing with the accuracy of the gauge. On mine this pressure differential is about 1.5 psi.

So if the required pressure is 45psi, one needs to set the gauge to 47psi. It will automatically stop inflating at 47psi which would be equivalent to 45.5psi at rest.

In summary, as I stated originally, this is very high quality, accurate cordless inflator which I wholeheartedly recommend.

11. Andyw2100

I can check the exact model I have when I get home in a few days.

I may be wrong on the length of time I mentioned, as I have not used it in quite some time. I do know that the Viair is quite a bit faster, and when I switched to it I was very pleased with the increased speed.

I acknowledged the difference between pressure readings when inflating and when not inflating. On my gauge, both sets of figures are off, but they are consistent, so once I realized how much they were off by (I don't remember now what that was) it was not an issue.

12. Andyw2100

Here are a couple of pictures. You can easily see the model info on one of them.

Entire Inflator.jpg

Close Up Inflator.jpg

I was wrong.

I used it today to add two pounds of pressure, and it took 37 seconds, which is not significantly different from the 14 seconds per pound vgrinshpun posted.

Today, when I just needed to add a couple of pounds of pressure to one tire, using this unit made sense, as it was indeed quicker and easier than taking out and plugging in the Viair would have been. For situations where I need to add several pounds to all four tires, I'll probably keep using the Viair.

13. thecloud

thecloud As rhythm raced inside, the ship came alive

I'm also on the journey toward tire-inflation nirvana.

First step was buying the Tesla tire repair kit, which comes with its own compressor. Realizing I didn't need to use a gas station compressor any more was a truly liberating feeling. But regular maintenance of the tires requires plugging that unit into the 12V outlet, and you can only reach one side of the car at a time. To do the remaining two tires, the unit has to be passed all the way through the car and retrieved from the other side, and of course, both car doors have to be open. Plus it's using power from the car.

Second step was buying a similar compressor which can be plugged into either 120V AC or 12V DC, so I can use it in my garage and not have to keep the car doors open. I bought this Black & Decker compressor based on an online review. It works well enough (in conjunction with a more accurate hand-held pressure gauge), but it has a weird design flaw: the power button is tucked into the storage compartment for the 12V cable, so even if you are using AC power, you have to pull out the DC cable to reach it. Annoying.

Third step: cordless pump?

14. NYEVDriver

NYEVDriver Member