Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Portaging Kayaks?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone portage kayaks on the Model Y yet? If so, what's your setup and how's it working out for you?

We've long had one on order to replace my wife's vehicle and were able to finally test drive one last week. That definitely went a long way toward building confidence that it'd have enough space for our needs (I'd say it just barely does)... but my wife remains concerned about 1) whether it's "too nice" / rugged enough to just throw stuff in and go (her frame of reference here would be something like a Subaru) and 2) how she'd move her kayak on and off the roof by herself. Thanks!

Reactions: kevin1
I am wondering also. Not so sure about using the Tesla hooks for the roof rack with the glass either. Also does the MY have any hooks under the front to hook a bow line to? I have a 2005 Outback which has good rails to mount my Thule cross bars on and hooks on front and rear. Unfortunately the newer Subarus got rid of these features. Seems like all the new SUV’s have let out the sport and utility features! I may end up getting a small trailer for my Kayaks but that is a pain also ( although easier loading the boats)

The front and rear bumpers have little hidden spots for a tow ring to be threaded in. It only comes with one but You could buy one extra one and thread them in front and rear to tie off on. My wife used to transport her kayak inside her Ford Edge but hasn’t had the guts to try it in the Y, that big screen is too close.

I put my Necky Looksha IV (18') on my Y with Gull Wing saddles from Oak Orchard and it worked very well. I unscrewed the front towing eye hole and screwed the eye into it to anchor the front end. I did not do the rear (which I normally do) because I did not have a second eye. I even came back on a long twisty road and it was solid and I hardly noticed the extra weight up top. The problem I had was that the cover for the eye has some wires connected to it, so I tucked it inside and it fell down out of sight and out of reach. After getting a inspection mirror and fishing it out with a bent coat hanger I finally was able to re install the cover two weeks later.

What are the pair of wires connected to the cover for? They are isolated from each other but I have found nothing in the owners manual mentioning these wires.

• Informative
Reactions: bruce4000
I put my Necky Looksha IV (18') on my Y with Gull Wing saddles from Oak Orchard and it worked very well. I unscrewed the front towing eye hole and screwed the eye into it to anchor the front end. I did not do the rear (which I normally do) because I did not have a second eye. I even came back on a long twisty road and it was solid and I hardly noticed the extra weight up top. The problem I had was that the cover for the eye has some wires connected to it, so I tucked it inside and it fell down out of sight and out of reach. After getting a inspection mirror and fishing it out with a bent coat hanger I finally was able to re install the cover two weeks later.

What are the pair of wires connected to the cover for? They are isolated from each other but I have found nothing in the owners manual mentioning these wires.

Page 19-20 in the owners manual.

• Informative
Reactions: bruce4000
Carry two kayaks. No big deal. Use one Malone cradle and pads on the other side to carry the other kayak flat. Tie the rear off to the tow hitch and the front off to a soft double loop strap attached the frunk. I use cut pool noodles to protect paint at the contact points. Carrying kayaks really impacts range, especially anything over 60, probably adds on the order of 100-150 watt/ mile. Photo doesn’t show rear and front tie downs.

Attachments

• 7E24BDE0-BDF4-41BD-A619-023EA73BA78A.jpeg
    7E24BDE0-BDF4-41BD-A619-023EA73BA78A.jpeg
    535.1 KB · Views: 904
  • Informative
Reactions: colea

I am wondering about range reduction with a kayak on top. I just ordered a Y and am thinking about driving from Colorado to California with my 17 foot sea kayak on top. Would this be a reasonable thing to do?

I bought the tow package with my MYLR just so I could pull a little aluminum trailer behind it with the our kayaks mounted in it. Should not reduce range as much as putting them on the roof since the trailer will be slipstreaming behind the car. I won't know until spring when we start kayaking again.

I bought the tow package with my MYLR just so I could pull a little aluminum trailer behind it with the our kayaks mounted in it. Should not reduce range as much as putting them on the roof since the trailer will be slipstreaming behind the car. I won't know until spring when we start kayaking again.
That makes sense. I will have to experiment once we take delivery of our Model Y we have on order. Thanks.