Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Portfolio Margin on a 100% TSLA Portfolio

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Robocop

Jul 10, 2017
US
Posting this here as anywhere else online they'll shout 'Diversify! TSLA shouldn't be more than 5% of your portfolio! Sell! Bubble!'. With that out the way, a 100% TSLA portfolio with a Reg-T margin account has worked out fine (obviously with some risk). Because of recent action, I'm up enough that it'd take an insane (but not unprecedented with TSLA) move to lose all the gains, and an even worse one to get wiped out.

So if I were on the cusp of having access to a portfolio margin account, I just wanted to confirm that there is little benefit to such an account if you're not diversified. Has this been your experience? Sure, you can get 6:1 leverage and a lot of buying power with portfolio margin, with a large array of different holdings and options strategies.

But if I'm only interested in long TSLA stock, the margin would likely fall (close if not exactly) to 2:1 on most brokerages, correct? Because of the lack of diversification / "insane concentration" of a TSLA only portfolio?

Obviously I would not even want to be 6:1 in TSLA, because the volatility would surely be hell before any success. But I could see the benefit of a ~40% requirement vs. the usual 50%.

Posting this here as anywhere else online they'll shout 'Diversify! TSLA shouldn't be more than 5% of your portfolio! Sell! Bubble!'. With that out the way, a 100% TSLA portfolio with a Reg-T margin account has worked out fine (obviously with some risk). Because of recent action, I'm up enough that it'd take an insane (but not unprecedented with TSLA) move to lose all the gains, and an even worse one to get wiped out.

So if I were on the cusp of having access to a portfolio margin account, I just wanted to confirm that there is little benefit to such an account if you're not diversified. Has this been your experience? Sure, you can get 6:1 leverage and a lot of buying power with portfolio margin, with a large array of different holdings and options strategies.

But if I'm only interested in long TSLA stock, the margin would likely fall (close if not exactly) to 2:1 on most brokerages, correct? Because of the lack of diversification / "insane concentration" of a TSLA only portfolio?

Obviously I would not even want to be 6:1 in TSLA, because the volatility would surely be hell before any success. But I could see the benefit of a ~40% requirement vs. the usual 50%.

check what your broker has tsla margin requirement at

ask if there’s exposure fee when concentration of acct in one security

ask the difference for your acct between regT and PM and, it may take a bit of effort, but that should answer whether or not you should switch

• Helpful
Reactions: Robocop
check what your broker has tsla margin requirement at

ask if there’s exposure fee when concentration of acct in one security

ask the difference for your acct between regT and PM and, it may take a bit of effort, but that should answer whether or not you should switch

Thank you, I'll email them. Obviously I'm new to PM, it's just exciting to have that tool available when the time comes.

Reactions: Boomer19