Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Portrait vs Landscape Center Screen

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The dash design is a hot topic for the Model 3. The lack of instrument cluster/screen is being discussed in other threads and we will see how that plays out. But I wanted to know what everyone thought about Tesla making the center screen landscape as opposed to portrait in the Model 3? This was a big disappointment to me as I thought the Model S portrait orientation was brilliant as it allowed the screen to behave as 2 dual virtual screen/monitors stacked on top of each other. Even other car manufacturers are copying this design on their high tech models (Volvo, Toyota).

Now with the landscape orientation the Tesla reps giving test drives were heard saying the driver would have a peripheral view of the center screen (for speed) while also giving the passenger better access to the screen. So instead of 2 center stacked landscaped screens we will have 2 portrait screens. This seems like it would make it difficult for the driver to access the far right virtual display. The portrait screen with 2 center stack virtual displays was one of the best design elements of the Model S. I think it is a huge mistake to depart from this layout and unnescessary R&D to do so. Seems like they are overthinking things. Thoughts anyone?

Reactions: M0DEL³
I agree. The landscape orientation feels like a step back. In the demo ride videos, the engineers seemed to justify it by stating that it was to "improve the experience for the passenger". That doesn't feel like a compelling argument for the orientation.

At this point, I can only hope that the whole dash concept in the protos is still subject to change. The loss of the instrument console, the landscape console screen and the "iPad velcroed to the dash" styling all feel more like "bugs in a suit" rather than like "features" at this point.

My first thought -- is Tesla crazy?

But suppose the Model 3 has a heads-up display (HUD) on the windshield, as it will probably will to meet Department of Transportation requirements. And suppose the Model 3 has more robust autopilot capability.

If the Model 3 can effectively drive itself, you'll probably want some entertainment. A 15" widescreen center console display is the perfect device for entertainment, especially if you can get Netflix or TV channels over LTE. I can see Tesla offering an add-on entertainment package for $2000-3000 or more.

I wonder if there is some safety rules requiring separate instrumentation for driver critical information?

I don't mind the landscape format as I am used to two vertical apps on one computer screen. It seemed like they could fit more widgets on the screen in landscape as seen in some test ride videos. I get what you are saying though about unnecessary complications though.

In my opinion heated arguments over the 3 interior is almost irrelevant. Go look at the first iterations of the MS and MX dashes on their first reveals. If Tesla is a creature of habit, the dash of the M3 is going to look entirely different come prod.

I think the Model 3s as shown will be very close to the production version. While it is true that there were significant changes from the first iterations of the S and X, the first iterations of those models were shown 3 years prior to production. Tesla has half of that time before the release of the 3, so I think they were very deliberate in showing what is planned for production.

This image was posted on reddit (r/teslamotors).

rHAwkDp.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: Az_Rael
I was actually hoping for a horizontal screen and was happy to see it in the Model 3. I feel much more comfortable looking at the top part than the bottom part of my 17" screen when driving, would be nice to have it all up there.
A vertical big screen would be cramped between the knees of driver and passenger in the narrower car that the 3 is.

dash integrated instruments was the only option in traditional cars because oil pressure gauge lines, speedo wires and so on. With thin computer screens now available it makes all the sense to have open designs

Mounting it on an arm may give Tesla better upgrade options down the line. Perhaps even offering wide screen as a luxury option?

I think the Model 3s as shown will be very close to the production version. While it is true that there were significant changes from the first iterations of the S and X, the first iterations of those models were shown 3 years prior to production. Tesla has half of that time before the release of the 3, so I think they were very deliberate in showing what is planned for production.

This image was posted on reddit (r/teslamotors).

View attachment 170470
I agree also. If anything we may see an integrated screen and an even slimmer chance for some sort of HUD or small instrument screen behind the steering wheel. You would have to think that 15" floating center monitor would have to negatively impact crash safety scores somehow.

I was actually hoping for a horizontal screen and was happy to see it in the Model 3. I feel much more comfortable looking at the top part than the bottom part of my 17" screen when driving, would be nice to have it all up there.
A vertical big screen would be cramped between the knees of driver and passenger in the narrower car that the 3 is.

dash integrated instruments was the only option in traditional cars because oil pressure gauge lines, speedo wires and so on. With thin computer screens now available it makes all the sense to have open designs

Mounting it on an arm may give Tesla better upgrade options down the line. Perhaps even offering wide screen as a luxury option?
Since you currently own a Model S I would say you have better perspective than I do. Just seems that a landscaped monitor would eat up even more space in a narrower car. I wouldn't mind if the monitor was 12" but oriented horizontal to allow for 2 landscaped views.

My first thought -- is Tesla crazy?

But suppose the Model 3 has a heads-up display (HUD) on the windshield, as it will probably will to meet Department of Transportation requirements. And suppose the Model 3 has more robust autopilot capability.

If the Model 3 can effectively drive itself, you'll probably want some entertainment. A 15" widescreen center console display is the perfect device for entertainment, especially if you can get Netflix or TV channels over LTE. I can see Tesla offering an add-on entertainment package for $2000-3000 or more.
I would have to be on Autopilot 98% of the time to feel the interior needs to be leveraged more for Autopilot. I doubt we will get that in 2 years.

I agree. The landscape orientation feels like a step back. In the demo ride videos, the engineers seemed to justify it by stating that it was to "improve the experience for the passenger". That doesn't feel like a compelling argument for the orientation.

At this point, I can only hope that the whole dash concept in the protos is still subject to change. The loss of the instrument console, the landscape console screen and the "iPad velcroed to the dash" styling all feel more like "bugs in a suit" rather than like "features" at this point.

My thoughts exactly. Why are we reinventing the wheel to go backwards?

The landscape display mounted high places it closer to the drivers FOV (Field of View). This matches Teslas design goal of putting everything possible into the center console (both control and information). The problem with driver console mounted displays is you are always ducking and looking around the wheel to see the information, and (on most cars) it is fairly far away from the driver.

I say give it a chance. Some things are just different, and take getting used to.

Reactions: Fanatic1
I like it. It will improve watching movies on the screen (instead of on a mobile device) while waiting at SpCs.

(I know, I just hope that Tesla will eventually enable video, or AirPlay, on the screen when the Tesla is in "Park".)

I like it. It will improve watching movies on the screen (instead of on a mobile device) while waiting at SpCs.

(I know, I just hope that Tesla will eventually enable video, or AirPlay, on the screen when the Tesla is in "Park".)

I sure hope they enable airplay, or, I guess we can just DIY it... Or CarPlay...

Since you currently own a Model S I would say you have better perspective than I do. Just seems that a landscaped monitor would eat up even more space in a narrower car. I wouldn't mind if the monitor was 12" but oriented horizontal to allow for 2 landscaped views.
If you look at the Model 3 ride videos you will see how the occupants' knees fit under the screen.

The arm mount might incorporate adjustability who knows? This way you could adjust it for the top to be just under your line of sight over the hood, while keeping it well over knees depending on your height/body shape

But suppose the Model 3 has a heads-up display (HUD) on the windshield, as it will probably will to meet Department of Transportation requirements.
I wonder if there is some safety rules requiring separate instrumentation for driver critical information?

There is no such requirement. Someone has posted excerpts from the rules in an earlier thread - it's ok as long as it is visible, does not need to be directly in front of the driver at all.